TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:10 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian-S wrote:
Justin Time wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
Is it? Got anything I can read?

Sure, took me 20 seconds with google:

"We have never ever imposed anything on Honda, they do what they want. If they come with an engine like this [big] then we have to accommodate this in our size zero, which would not be a size zero any more." Eric Boullier

http://en.f1i.com/news/43852-honda-not- ... laren.html

LOL thanks but isn't Eric Boullier known as the McLaren Minister for Information?

He is the Sam Michael of this generation. Oversaw the decline of Lotus/Renault and now McLaren. He reminds me of Donald Trumps press secretary, everything he says is just a plain load of shit said with a straight face.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:07 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I always liked the Mugen Honda engines. Maybe they should try that again. I know the engines are hugely complex, but still. Supply a 2nd team under that name at least. At the very least more date from more failures.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:45 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

i'm slowly drifting away from f1 i've watched just a couple of races last year and i'm not up to date with the new rules.
I noticed just today how big the new tyres are. honestly what the hell are they thinking?

Am i the only one thinking they will revert this decision in a couple of years at best? i see only downsides: less safety because of the cornering speed and less overtakes because braking space will be shorter and more stable. It seems to me we're going to see some big one this year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I wanna see those tires burning on starts and the cars dancing from overboost haha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:01 pm 

cambridge wrote:
i'm slowly drifting away from f1 i've watched just a couple of races last year

That started happening to me in 2011 and, by 2014, I was already missing several GPs. I watched the 2015 Australian one then had no motivation to keep doing it, so missed all GPs since.

This new rules are a breath of fresh air to me. So what if there will be no overtaking, the worn tyres/DRS ones are bland anyway, at least we'll get back some of the old, good and traditional F1 which consists of extreme cars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cambridge wrote:
Am i the only one thinking they will revert this decision in a couple of years at best? i see only downsides: less safety because of the cornering speed and less overtakes because braking space will be shorter and more stable. It seems to me we're going to see some big one this year.

Nah, more mechanichal grip is almost always better than more aero grip, so you can still have it while following another car close into the corner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Artur Craft wrote:
Hmmm
Don't know which part you disagree with but, afair, Honda is a much larger company than Yamaha, Ducati(now owned by VAG, but they still won't get huge R&D money due to Ducati's revenue potential), Suzuki. Is it there that you think I'm wrong? I could be, I would have to check their financial reports to be sure.

Or do you disagree because you think that Honda constantly makes dominant bikes? If that's the case, the very fact that Ducati was able to win championships, with Stoner, is shameful enough already. But, also, we just have to see that Yamaha had arguably the best bikes the past couple of years. Marquez won last year but that was certainly without having the outright fastest bike, don't you agree?

Imho, given Honda's size(again, I could be wrong about their financial status), they should have been making dominant bikes quite more often

edit: I suppose you weren't refering to the other cars' series in which Honda compete like Indycar where Honda's aero kit and engine are definitely inferior, or how crappy the Honda is on SuperGT's GT500 and etc

They aren't "massively struggling" in any form of motorsport they compete in, bar F1. Since 2012 they've won as many Indy 500s as Chevy and have had a legitimate championship contender every year, They've won races in Super GT and Super Formula, and have won four of the last six MotoGP championships, and 5 of the last 7 BTCC championships, and have a WTCC manufacturers championship in 2013. They've won plenty in LMP2 the last few years, too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:10 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Artur Craft wrote:
cambridge wrote:
i'm slowly drifting away from f1 i've watched just a couple of races last year

That started happening to me in 2011 and, by 2014, I was already missing several GPs. I watched the 2015 Australian one then had no motivation to keep doing it, so missed all GPs since.

This new rules are a breath of fresh air to me. So what if there will be no overtaking, the worn tyres/DRS ones are bland anyway, at least we'll get back some of the old, good and traditional F1 which consists of extreme cars

Because the casual fan won't sit through 2 hours of no overtaking and think "Damn, that race was good, that procession was driven by drivers racing at 100% all the time with no tyre/engine management. LOVED IT!"

They come for the drama, and there'll be less of it this year.

Also LOL at anyone who thinks there won't still be tyre/fuel/engine management in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

At least the pole run will be tasty.

As far as this feeling. It got to me on the start of 2014 era, with the engine sounds. But still followed the news and read the tech features on motorsport.com like never before. As that was fun to follow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If there were more random mechanical failures like there used to be then that would spice up the action. The trouble is these cars are amazingly reliable (which really, is an incredible achievement) partly due to I would say the improvement of technology but mainly due to the components not being pushed to their absolute maximum.

Look at the drama that Hamilton's blown engine in Malaysia caused. Yes it sucked for Lewis but was fantastic for the spectacle, which in the context and history of the sport was a common occurrence. We have been living in an outlier of an era in regards to reliability, and I can't help but personally feel that it has corresponded to the least exciting era of racing I have been watching.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:09 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

webbsy wrote:
If there were more random mechanical failures like there used to be then that would spice up the action. The trouble is these cars are amazingly reliable (which really, is an incredible achievement) partly due to I would say the improvement of technology but mainly due to the components not being pushed to their absolute maximum.

Look at the drama that Hamilton's blown engine in Malaysia caused. Yes it sucked for Lewis but was fantastic for the spectacle, which in the context and history of the sport was a common occurrence. We have been living in an outlier of an era in regards to reliability, and I can't help but personally feel that it has corresponded to the least exciting era of racing I have been watching.

Of course, thatmakes it unpredictable and exciting. The FIA made a wrong turn again when they made it an endurance sport with the focus in reliability. I want back those qualifying cars with party that'll break after 12 laps.

And I also wholeheartedly agree with codename_47. Look at 2012 where we had 6 different winners in the first 6 races or something like that. Until the teams started whining around that they couldn't figure out the tires. The tires were made more predictable and boom, Vettel won every single race from pole and killed any kind of excitement. Those degrading tires were some of the best things F1 ever did, but they had a PR problem on their hand when the teams started discrediting them. So the public opinion changed too

Last edited by Justin Time on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:22 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
Also LOL at anyone who thinks there won't still be tyre/fuel/engine management in 2017

I don't think you aimed this at me and, to be clear, I totally agree. Those things will definitely remain, for years to come.

The casual viewer doesn't seem to like the current racing, either, as the tv ratings have been dropping considerably(or "bigly" as tbk's favourite politician ever would put it), year after year.
Justin Time wrote:
Look at 2012 where we had 6 different winners in the first 6 races or someone like that. Until the teams started whining around tha hey couldn't figure out the tires. The tires were made more predictable and boom, Vettel won every single racefrom pole and killed any kind of excitement. Those degrading tires were some of the best things F1 ever did, butcher had a PR problem on their hand when the teams started discrediting them. So the public opinion changed too

It's sad that we wish F1 have even more rubbish tires so that we could see unpredictable things going on.

Michelin came in on MotoGP and provided great tires that lasted the whole race, with great performance. Every time a rider chose the softer compound, it paid off with him winning the race(Lorenzo at Qatar, Ducatis on Red Bull Ring, Pedrosa in Misano .....). MotoGP had 9 different winners, in a row, without gimmicky tires.

The only way to get rid of the certainty that a team will dominate, in a specific era(Ferrari with Schumacher, Williams 92/93, Red Bull with Vettel, Mercedes last 3 years.....), is to make F1 a spec series. As long as cars are different, there will always be an estabilished status quo and the results get very predictable.

I would prefer to see F1 as a spec series, even though that's not my ideal solution, with great tires and no DRS, than the F1 that we have had in the last years. If you never wanna see F1 become spec, don't worry, it will never happen, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

TV ratings are dropping because the sport is no longer available on free to air TV in most countries. The same can be said for NASCAR and INDYCAR, their ratings all tanked when they went behind a paywall. In 2019 F1 in the UK will have no presence on FTA TV.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:41 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Justin Time wrote:
webbsy wrote:

Of course, thatmakes it unpredictable and exciting. The FIA made a wrong turn again when they made it an endurance sport with the focus in reliability. I want back those qualifying cars with party that'll break after 12 laps.

And I also wholeheartedly agree with codename_47. Look at 2012 where we had 6 different winners in the first 6 races or someone like that. Until the teams started whining around tha hey couldn't figure out the tires. The tires were made more predictable and boom, Vettel won every single racefrom pole and killed any kind of excitement. Those degrading tires were some of the best things F1 ever did, butcher had a PR problem on their hand when the teams started discrediting them. So the public opinion changed too

Yes yes yes, absolutely agree.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Justin Time wrote:
webbsy wrote:

And I also wholeheartedly agree with codename_47. Look at 2012 where we had 6 different winners in the first 6 races or someone like that. Until the teams started whining around tha hey couldn't figure out the tires. The tires were made more predictable and boom, Vettel won every single racefrom pole and killed any kind of excitement. Those degrading tires were some of the best things F1 ever did, butcher had a PR problem on their hand when the teams started discrediting them. So the public opinion changed too

Yes yes yes, absolutely agree.

+2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:57 pm 

Ian-S wrote:
TV ratings are dropping because the sport is no longer available on free to air TV in most countries. The same can be said for NASCAR and INDYCAR, their ratings all tanked when they went behind a paywall. In 2019 F1 in the UK will have no presence on FTA TV.

Is F1 still on FTA on places like Germany and Brazil? I read, sometime back, that the ratings were massively down on these two places.

With the new cars, I hope the ratings will increase a bit, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
webbsy wrote:

needs more randomly deflating tires, more specifically with drivers that won the past 3 races :p

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

vettel off to a good start this year (crappy phone vid included)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/09/v ... r-pirelli/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:06 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

There were no blue flags for fucksake. Honestly, it's Pirelli's fault.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
Ian-S wrote:

Is F1 still on FTA on places like Germany and Brazil? I read, sometime back, that the ratings were massively down on these two places.

With the new cars, I hope the ratings will increase a bit, at least.

Germany has it on FTA satellite but viewership figures dived there long before this trend, no idea about Brazil but I guess both points of view are valid, the product is stale and nobody wants/can spend a ton a month to watch races.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18141 Next