TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 198 99 100 101 102151 Next

What's going to be the biggest surprise of 2016 season?
Ferrari beats Mercedes 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Williams will stay 3rd in standings 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
McLaren Honda gets podium 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
No wet races 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Maldonado and Palmer are incredibly reliable and scores in every race 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
People will not complain how boring it is 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
It isn't actually boring at all 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 79
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Gaara wrote:
You've got to decide what is an acceptable risk and what isn't.

Being hit by a wheel or other large debris isn't.

And I'll ask again, when was the last time you saw an F1 driver hit on the head by a wheel?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
when was the last time you saw an open wheel driver hit on the head

Is the correct question to ask. The halo/canopy concepts aren't just designed to protect against wheels (although the halo is less likely to catch smaller debris).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well of course we all know the answer to that, however it is not relevant to Halo since Halo is an F1 project, not an Indycar, GP2, F4 or Formula Ford one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just because there might be an extremely rare situation where halo could have helped doesn't mean it justifies it.
There are also road accidents where the driver survived because he didn't wear a seatbelt but it's so rare we're not banning them.

I see the halo just like that. What it prevents is so rare. Up until the mid 90s drivers exposed so much but this never was an issue. And back then we had bigger grids and more crashes during the weekend.

I still see the halo as an obstruction when the car is upside down. And I can see it hindering needed medical attention when something big does hit it and still hits the driver.
The whole halo discussion flared up again after Bianchi's crash. The one crash where it would do jack shit.

If the FIA wants to convince me it better show me some truly independent, unbiased test results.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:11 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
Scotty wrote:

And I'll ask again, when was the last time you saw an F1 driver hit on the head by a wheel?

So just because it hasn't happened yet, it will never happen?

When was the last time a was driver burnt alive in an F1 car? Hasn't happened in 30 years does that mean they should drive in singlets and shorts?

Actually I can remember single hit, luckily didn't end worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well thanks for answering the original question, 22 years ago, anybody want to work ou those odds?

No Scotty, we're not blood thirsty animals who want to see bare chested drivers riding round with no belts, helmets or googles, we're just questioning the actual benefit of a device that's being introduced to solve a problem that doesn't exist and whether that device will cause more even more problems than it solves, to qoute Toto, it was only tested by 4 drivers, one complained of claustrophobia, one complained he coukdn't see and the rest didn't say much, so do those drivers who had issues find another job? you cannot legislate for every eventuality and make something 100% safe, despite what you may think.

But sadly as seems to be the norm nowadays, instead of coming back and with a legitimate counter argument based on facts, you resort to slinging around insults and label anybody who doesn't share your view as being a space cadet, I can imagine if we were having this conversation face to fasce, you'd be shouting at the top of your voice waving your arms around talking over anybody that doesn't share your view, instead of sctuslly discussing it.

Oh and the FIA hasn't convinced all the drivers, pretty sure i read that both Kimi and Seb were not keen on it and Seb especially said danger is part of the sport, Verstappen also said something similar. The mere fact that the strategy group have delayed it's introduction for the same reasons why everybody else is questioning it should tell you it's not as perfect a solution thst you seem to think it will be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
micha wrote:
If the FIA wants to convince me it better show me some truly independent, unbiased test results.

THE FIA have convinced all the drivers, but some random space cadet from bumblefuck nowhere doesn't believe them, so they should pay $100 million dollars to a third party to get the same results? Its engineering, not some random pseudo-science, its nearly impossible to play with the numbers.

F1 drivers might have some air between the ears but they're not that stupid.

You can ridicule me all you want. It proofs you have no real counter arguments.
All drivers are behind it? Some of them only after a closed meeting last weekend. We don't know what has been said or what's shown.
What has been shown comes from the FIA sponsored research. The least they could do is release the shown video to the public so we can see the arguments instead of hearing snippets of it from third hand sources

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The FIA don't have to satisfy you. They have to satisfy those that deal with the safety aspect of F1. They have to keep moving forward with safety, the last time they got complacent because 'things weren't happening' we had that dark weekend at Imola. Then we had Monaco as well. Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't. That's where complacency comes in and a driver gets hurt or worse. Cockpits have closed up massively, you can't deny that and right now a very vulnerable part of the drivers body still sticks out. No a driver hasn't been hurt by debris since '09 but freak accidents can and will happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You cannot prevent freak accidents.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:16 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

And when will there come enhanced safety for marshalls who don't or barely get paid?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

siggy wrote:
And when will there come enhanced safety for marshalls who don't or barely get paid?

When the FIA gets its head out of its arse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Bianchi crash was a series of unfortunate happenings, is they placed safety bumpers on the tow vehicles, if they throwed SC and if they called the day because of lack of light none of this would had happened

but the FIA insists is driver's fault, so they must do something to show something is getting done and with that they get away with murder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:54 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Scotty wrote:
micha wrote:

THE FIA have convinced all the drivers, but some random space cadet from bumblefuck nowhere doesn't believe them, so they should pay $100 million dollars to a third party to get the same results? Its engineering, not some random pseudo-science, its nearly impossible to play with the numbers.

F1 drivers might have some air between the ears but they're not that stupid.

No, it's not engineering. It's politics.

I've barely ever encountered someone with such an inability for a discussion. You're using the same automated and reactionary reasoning process like tabloids do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

TBK wars...part 2! lol

How we should all look and feel discussing F1.

How we actually are when discussing F1.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm much disappointed, I was really expecting a pack of wolves tearing an animal apart :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
Bianchi crash was a series of unfortunate happenings, is they placed safety bumpers on the tow vehicles, if they throwed SC and if they called the day because of lack of light none of this would had happened

but the FIA insists is driver's fault, so they must do something to show something is getting done and with that they get away with murder

And therefor I don't trust their own research into the Halo. If they're willing to bend the truth so much that they clear themselves of any blame in Bianchi crash.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Slightly off-topic, but Channel 4 have found this pic of Vettel testing 2017 tyres and proto-17 aero today:

It looks alright, but we all know the racing is going to back to early-2000s standards of cars washing out when they get within 2 seconds of the one ahead :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:20 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

they need to take downforce away, not be adding it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just go back to the early 90's wings. Simple, no fugly winglets and less dirty air.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
they need to take downforce away, not be adding it

micha wrote:
Just go back to the early 90's wings. Simple, no fugly winglets and less dirty air.

+1. The big increase in mechanical grip from the tyres is completely cancelled out by the aero increase. If they left the wings as they were, or (much better) massively restricted them, the cars could follow more closely.

They did actually clamp down on rear wings some time ago, by limiting the number of elements allowed. They need to do the same with the front wings, because they all now have these amazing works of art that probably stop working in less-than-perfect airflow.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 198 99 100 101 102151 Next