TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't really understand what is/isn't ok in F1, but I've gotten so tired of drivers shoving another off the track because they had "the line" or whatever, I know today was a different scenario.

In this situation, I think Rosberg should've made the move to block the bottom line sooner than he did, and force Hamilton to try the outside. My guess is that Hamilton figured he had the momentum and Rosberg would blink first. That being said, Hamilton's done his fair share of running drivers off-track, so I didn't have any sympathy for him.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What a historic podium to witness from the trackside. While the race wasn't the most eventful, the last 20 laps were old-school exciting (i.e. no easy DRS passing). Although Max was triple lucky (swapped the team, Mercedes out, and Ferrari weak), no doubt this won't be his sole victory. I'm glad I was there when Max made F1 history.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've always thought that defending went too far if your move causes the car behind to brake (or go off track/crash). If Rosberg moved to the inside sooner, then Lewis could have gone to the outside without any problem. Exactly like he did to Rosberg at the first corner...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just saw an interview with Ricciardo who said he doesn't understand why he was pulled onto a 3 stop strategy while he was comfortably leading the race & controlling the pace. Said a 3 stop strategy was never the plan, never discussed & that it was changed mid-race without explanation & that he now wants answers from the team.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:50 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

oh wow

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:
Just saw an interview with Ricciardo who said he doesn't understand why he was pulled onto a 3 stop strategy while he was comfortably leading the race & controlling the pace. Said a 3 stop strategy was never the plan, never discussed & that it was changed mid-race without explanation & that he now wants answers from the team.

Marketing.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:11 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

That would be so awesome and brilliant if they actually did. Sucks voor Ricciardo though.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I do believe Red Bull pushed Max to victory and sacrificing Ricciardo in the process.

Takes nothing away from the win though, he did keep Kimi behind and drove a great race.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This was Abu Dhabi 2010 again. Webber was the pawn to drag Alonso out of the fight to ensure Vettel won. In this case, swap Webber with Ricciardo, Alonso for Vettel and Vettel for Max.

pending wrote:
I do believe Red Bull pushed Max to victory and sacrificing Ricciardo in the process.

Takes nothing away from the win though, he did keep Kimi behind and drove a great race.

This

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
So if I've understood this information correctly then Rosberg made a mistake ahead of the start by being in the wrong strategy setting, thus losing some power through turn 2/3 meaning Lewis got a run on him, he tried correcting the setting mid-corner and went into defensive driving mode. This puts the whole incident into a completely different light and I'm afraid to say makes Rosberg even more responsible.

Rosberg is entitled to use whatever setting he wants to. Davidson even corrects himself saying that it was simply a different setting from Hamilton that's all, not necessarily the wrong one. Correction - Although I see now that he's admitted it was the wrong setting. Either way it obviously robbed him of some speed through that corner and I think he realized that would leave him vulnerable to attack going into the next corner. His instinct was correct as we saw Hamilton a split second later going for a gap that was already closing. Based on Davidson's analysis, it's quite evident that Rosberg and Hamilton both went for the same piece of tarmac at the exact same time unfortunately. Yes you can say that Rosberg made an overly defensive move but you can also say that Hamilton made an overly ambitious lunge.

It really all comes down to both drivers anticipating the situation at the exact same time and reacting almost instantaneously to it. Thus a racing incident and I'm happy to see that the stewards did not single out a driver on this incident.

Last edited by Karan on Sun May 15, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

pending wrote:

The debrief in RBR must've been quite a hot one. Vettel vs. Webber Part II is starting sooner than I expected...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
Rosberg is entitled to use whatever setting he wants to. Davidson even corrects himself saying that it was simply a different setting from Hamilton that's all, not necessarily the wrong one. Nevertheless it did rob him of some speed through that corner and I think he realized that would leave him vulnerable to attack going into the next corner. His instinct was correct as we saw Hamilton a split second later going for a gap that was already closing. Based on Davidson's analysis, it's quite evident that Rosberg and Hamilton both went for the same piece of tarmac at the exact same time unfortunately. Yes you can say that Rosberg made an overly defensive move but you can also say that Hamilton made an overly ambitious lunge.

It really all comes down to both drivers anticipating the situation at the exact same time and reacting almost instantaneously to it. Thus a racing incident and I'm happy to see that the stewards did not single out a driver on this incident.

Yep, fair summary. But even Nico says he was in the wrong strategy setting and he'd investigate why this was the case later. That's the pivotal point in the incident unfolding as had he been in an even strategy setting then Lewis wouldn't have been able to get a run.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My apologies Kals, I stand corrected as I see now Rosberg admitted he simply had the wrong setting. I think he panicked when he realized that and started to come across just as Hamilton decided to go for the gap which had existed a micro second prior. At that point it was always going to end in tears, as Brundle would say.

I have to compliment Toto on his really good damage control of the situation in the media. This situation was much worse than Belgium 2014 which was quite bad for the team in the aftermath but they seem to have handled it quite well with some practice.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:18 pm 

I'm liking these teammate battles, at least that can spice up the season.

Bring on Monaco :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Brundle told him to stop moaning. Well played.

I'd have to disagree there. I'm all for drivers making ballsy overtakes but this one was a bit too ambitious. I know Ricciardo feels like he has to live up to this reputation of being Dan The Man who makes the biggest dive bombs in F1. But if I'm the lead driver there about to turn into a corner and the guy behind me dives in from a mile back, leaving it all up to me to avoid an accident, I'd be rather pissed too.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can understand that to some extent, but knowing his reputation, you would think that the driver ahead would expect a lunge from him. Vettel could have defended into the corner to stop any possibility of a move, or left him space and watch him miss the corner (which is what happened).

It is so difficult to overtake at Barcelona when two cars are fairly evenly matched. I admire Ricciardo for having a go. Maybe Vettel just feels frustrated after being caught up in accidents recently.

On the subject of Ricciardo, I do feel like he was robbed of a win today. Max will get all the glory, and it is a great story for F1, but Ricciardo was controlling the race nicely.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:23 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

At the point of red bull making the decision, they had to cover off vettel and all the data at that point indicated the tyres would go off so red bull probably made an instant decision to cover vettel hoping to get danny out in front....

As bad as it might be for danny, red bull would've looked pretty lame if vettel cruised past both of them in the final laps on fresher tyres and they had to cover that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Alright, this race was already a 10/10 in my book, but reading up on a couple facts here (Rosberg's start setting, and the RBR suspected favoritism), it becomes some pure legendary material.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:21 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Karan wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:
Brundle told him to stop moaning. Well played.

I'd have to disagree there. I'm all for drivers making ballsy overtakes but this one was a bit too ambitious. I know Ricciardo feels like he has to live up to this reputation of being Dan The Man who makes the biggest dive bombs in F1. But if I'm the lead driver there about to turn into a corner and the guy behind me dives in from a mile back, leaving it all up to me to avoid an accident, I'd be rather pissed too.

Agree. I like Riciardo but that wasn't a good move at all. Good job Vettel jumped out the way.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Formula1.com wrote:
The stewards’ statement in full:

The incident concerned started when Car 6 dropped into an incorrect power mode, as set by the driver prior to the start. This created a significant power differential between Car 6 and Car 44 at the exit of Turn 3 coming onto the straight, resulting in as much as a 17kph speed difference between the two cars on the straight. Car 6 moved to the right to defend his position, as is his right under Art 27.7 of the Sporting regulations. Simultaneously Car 44 as the significantly faster car with, at that time, apparent space on the inside, moved to make the pass. Art 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a "significant portion" of the car attempting to pass alongside. Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside Car 6 small fractions of a second prior to Car 44 having to leave the right side of the track to avoid an initial collision, which may have led him to believe he had the right to space on the right. Once on the grass on the side of the track Car 44 was no longer in control of the situation.

Having heard extensively from both drivers and from the team, the Stewards determined that Car 6 had the right to make the maneuver that he did and that Car 44’s attempt to overtake was reasonable, and that the convergence of events led neither driver to be wholly or predominantly at fault, and therefore take no further action.

Such a balanced, reasonable decision there, I hope the stewards' standards remain consistently this high.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 Next