TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1292 293 294 295 296302 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:29 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

The next driver in Caterham's line up

Spoiler:
Chilton :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
mclaren2008 wrote:
The next driver in Caterham's line up

Spoiler:
Chilton :lol:

quite possible for him to show up on friday with a sticker on the car written "I don't give up, Kieran" :p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ellu wrote:
I can't remember people all going medieval on Tom Walkinshow when he dragged Arrows to the end leaving ton's of debts behind (except for Verstappen fans).

Hardly comparable.

For a start, Walkinshaw for all his faults was long established in motorsport and F1, being involved and running F1 teams for many years. Walkinshaw had a motorsport pedigree, as team boss and driver. At the same time his Arrows team was a popular midfield runner that on occasion could ruffle some feathers near the front. He and Arrows made a good hash of it before the team collapsed because of the spending war in the early 2000's.

Perhaps the comparison you should be making is with John Booth and Manor / Marussia. Apart from some people saying they don't miss Caterham or Marussia, no-one has said anything "medieval" about John Booth's operation. Why is that? The answer is how John Booth operated Manor versus Tony Fernandez ran Caterham. Fernandez is a businessman who one day decided he would set up an F1 team, and during the course of his time in charge thought he could buy his way up the F1 grid by adding resource on top of resource. The team made a number of bold predictions about where they would be in the not too distant future. Many promises, no delivery. Whereas apart from the initial calamity caused by Nick Wirth's too small fuel tank, Manor attempted to work well within their means. John Booth also has a long established pedigree in single seater racing, having won many championships and having a hand in the development of lots of great drivers in the process.

Now fast forward to 2014 and both teams fold. Lots of arguements, claims and counter-claims going on at Caterham between management and staff. Fernandez has even had the gall to insult the operation and investment group that Colin Kolles was put in charge of. Clearly irony is lost on Tony. In the same period, what have we heard from or about Manor? Nothing.

The net result is that Tony Fernandez is seen as a person who deserves ridicule, Booth does not and won't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Honda V6 sounds quite good.

[youtube]C8fmyxlQUQg#t=13[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No more "look how sad I am in the rain" selfies at Silverstone from phil1993 if it is up to Ecclestone!

Quote:
Ecclestone says his next task is to tighten media accreditation. He added: “Choose your race for free, enter the paddock, meet the drivers. How do you do it? Set up a website. I’m going to have a good look at the accreditation because it is a bit of a joke.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, let's cut off the passionate people who are giving exposure to our multi-billion business...

It's called content-marketing. Welcome to 2014 Bernie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

if he's still alive in 5 years, he's going to say "I think maybe some is my fault"...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Also Arrows went under as a result of the legal costs incurred with Verstappen/Dinez, it wasn't because Walkinshaw got bored and decided not to pay his suppliers, which is essentially what Fernandez has done.

Walkinshaw was well known for putting his hand in his pockets if the need arose, but anybody who has dealt with Solicitors will tell you they are on a whole different level pay-wise to the rest of us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:41 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fish88 wrote:
No more "look how sad I am in the rain" selfies at Silverstone from phil1993 if it is up to Ecclestone!

Quote:
Ecclestone says his next task is to tighten media accreditation. He added: “Choose your race for free, enter the paddock, meet the drivers. How do you do it? Set up a website. I’m going to have a good look at the accreditation because it is a bit of a joke.”

He does have a point to an extent with this. I've seen people get in with media passes, but then never see them at a driver session, rarely see them doing any work and sometimes see them lounging around trying to get drivers to sign things.

There's a lot of very passionate and skilled people, but like in any industry there are others less so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fish88 wrote:
Honda V6 sounds quite good.

[youtube]C8fmyxlQUQg#t=13[/youtube]

I wonder if they have the double exhaust pipe already.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

phil1993 wrote:
Fish88 wrote:

Quote:

He does have a point to an extent with this. I've seen people get in with media passes, but then never see them at a driver session, rarely see them doing any work and sometimes see them lounging around trying to get drivers to sign things.

There's a lot of very passionate and skilled people, but like in any industry there are others less so.

That's common to any sports event. There's always somebody who has a friend or a friend of a friend who can get an accreditation and then they spend the day going to the restricted areas because they can.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Despite whatever happens at the final race, my advice to Nico Rosberg is just this. Get out of Mercedes as soon as you can. You are becoming to them what DC was to McLaren and what Webber was to Red Bull. A likable and useful member of the team, but a secret hindrance to them whenever you beat their preferred driver.

http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorspor ... 84321.html

So what if Hamilton bins it and Nico has the breakdown? Not tragic? Don't be fooled by the token issuance of "I don't care who wins it". After Mercs reactions after the whole Spa saga, yes you bloody well do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
they can always unplug one brace from rosberg's cooling system to be safe :whistling:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:01 pm 

Ian-S wrote:
Also Arrows went under as a result of the legal costs incurred with Verstappen/Dinez, it wasn't because Walkinshaw got bored and decided not to pay his suppliers, which is essentially what Fernandez has done.

Walkinshaw was well known for putting his hand in his pockets if the need arose, but anybody who has dealt with Solicitors will tell you they are on a whole different level pay-wise to the rest of us.

I'm not 100% clear on the circumstances of their demise, but I remember watching the Monaco gp round that year & one of the commentators brought up Arrows financial problems, & then stated Walkinshaw had pulled into the harbor that year, just having bought a multimillion dollar yacht.... It had got the other team bosses talking in the paddock about it...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:32 pm 

kals wrote:
Ellu wrote:
I can't remember people all going medieval on Tom Walkinshow when he dragged Arrows to the end leaving ton's of debts behind (except for Verstappen fans).

Hardly comparable.

For a start, Walkinshaw for all his faults was long established in motorsport and F1, being involved and running F1 teams for many years. Walkinshaw had a motorsport pedigree, as team boss and driver. At the same time his Arrows team was a popular midfield runner that on occasion could ruffle some feathers near the front. He and Arrows made a good hash of it before the team collapsed because of the spending war in the early 2000's.

Perhaps the comparison you should be making is with John Booth and Manor / Marussia. Apart from some people saying they don't miss Caterham or Marussia, no-one has said anything "medieval" about John Booth's operation. Why is that? The answer is how John Booth operated Manor versus Tony Fernandez ran Caterham. Fernandez is a businessman who one day decided he would set up an F1 team, and during the course of his time in charge thought he could buy his way up the F1 grid by adding resource on top of resource. The team made a number of bold predictions about where they would be in the not too distant future. Many promises, no delivery. Whereas apart from the initial calamity caused by Nick Wirth's too small fuel tank, Manor attempted to work well within their means. John Booth also has a long established pedigree in single seater racing, having won many championships and having a hand in the development of lots of great drivers in the process.

Now fast forward to 2014 and both teams fold. Lots of arguements, claims and counter-claims going on at Caterham between management and staff. Fernandez has even had the gall to insult the operation and investment group that Colin Kolles was put in charge of. Clearly irony is lost on Tony. In the same period, what have we heard from or about Manor? Nothing.

The net result is that Tony Fernandez is seen as a person who deserves ridicule, Booth does not and won't.

Nice info, now I insert the name of Alain Prost' team, would love to hear about that one :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Stubborn Frenchy who could have saved the team if it wasn't for ludicrous demands while not in a position to demand anything

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Prost was a victim of French politics. That's all. His vision was to create a "Team France" but never got the support he desired / deserved. But probably should have sold out to Pedro Diniz when he had the chance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

He could have sold it but didn't want to give up control.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That final Prost wasn't a bad car either. If it had development dollars it could have gotten better results. Was pretty taste to boot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
That final Prost wasn't a bad car either. If it had development dollars it could have gotten better results. Was pretty taste to boot

Agreed. I was reading an Adam Cooper article earlier which said Ferrari were charging Prost $90m over 3 years for the engines. Ludicrous money.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1292 293 294 295 296302 Next