TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 5579 Next

Who will lead the Drivers Championship after the Japanese GP?
Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:53 am
Lewis HAMILTON 64%  64%  [ 21 ]
Nico ROSBERG 36%  36%  [ 12 ]
Total votes: 33
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:39 pm 

I did wonder at the time "why all the shots of the Marussia Garage?", with no other indication of what happened, it soon became apparent :-(

Full and Speedy Recover Jules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:48 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Just finished watching the race and I'm stunned about how a situation like this has magnified.

I love the sport, but not at times like this, when you realise these guys are risking their lives just for your entertainment.

FIA, never again send tractors onto the track during racing conditions. PLEASE. We've said it before and we'll keep saying it, we don't mind a few more safety car interruptions, a bit less time for post race analysis etc, even if our favourite driver loses out as a result, as long as the track conditions become safer for everyone.
This is a terrible situation as it is, but Jules was also close to wiping out 3 or so marshals on top of everything else.

It's been said enough already, but lessons must be learnt from today.

Just the worst kind of time to be a F1 fan.

#keepfightingjules

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Huh? How did you get that out of my post?

Because you said Booth might have to leave because of this. Why should he if he couldn't prevent it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:52 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

James B wrote:
L'Equipe reporting that the operation has finished and he is not on life support, which sounds very positive

Sky Sports News also confirming this.

They're saying Maldanado and Massa are at the Hospital too...

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shaddix wrote:
kals wrote:
Huh? How did you get that out of my post?

Because you said Booth might have to leave because of this. Why should he if he couldn't prevent it?

You've misunderstood my point Shaddix.

I'm drawing parallels between Maria's and Jules' incidents. I won't state the obvious why. That's nothing to do with individual or team culpability. More so it will have a massive drain on someone's steely resolve and emotions, especially someone who has tried so hard these past 5 seasons.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
You've misunderstood my point Shaddix.

I'm drawing parallels between Maria's and Jules' incidents. I won't state the obvious why. That's nothing to do with individual or team culpability. More so it will have a massive drain on someone's steely resolve and emotions, especially someone who has tried so hard these past 5 seasons.

Yeah, seems like I misinterpreted, my fault. I have to agree with you on that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
I love the sport, but not at times like this, when you realise these guys are risking their lives just for your entertainment.

I agree about everything else but I'm sure racing drivers would race even if there wasn't any spectators or TV-viewers to be entertained.

Latest news about Bianchi not being on life support are encouraging. Whatever the damage on the head, at least he was operated quickly thus minimizing the risk of brain damage. At the case of Schumi, the problem was he didn't go to surgery soon enough even though he had on-going hemorrhage. Let's hope Bianchi recovers like Häkkinen did.

Last edited by JJ on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This being the FIA, now that the horse has bolted, will over react. I see Indy style safety cars for any car that has stopped on track regardless. Are those standing starts after the safety car still going to happen? I forgot, tuned out to that bull shit rule. Cause if they are, we will have about 5 of them in a race going forward I feel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:02 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Cue the FIA putting tarmac on the outside of all corners in Suzuka? Hope not.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:04 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

webbsy wrote:
This being the FIA, now that the horse has bolted, will over react. I see Indy style safety cars for any car that has stopped on track regardless. Are those standing starts after the safety car still going to happen? I forgot, tuned out to that bull shit rule. Cause if they are, we will have about 5 of them in a race going forward I feel.

Well they've needed to for a while. They've been backing off on SC periods, for whatever reason.

Think of the Marussia on fire just before the Nurburgring Chicane-no SC until it started rolling down the track (probably happened because the marshals didn't have the time or ability to communicate well with each other due to the pressure and noise of cars running by)

Think of Mark Webber's car in Malaysia on fire just past the corner after the fastest straight on the track-No SC until the crazy fire truck took it upon itself to take to the track.

Think of the oft-discussed Hockenheim incident with the Sauber spun at the final corner.

Someone, at some point, has had a word with Charlie to keep the sport "pure" and back off on the SC's, and it needs to stop.
(as opposed, of course, to wet starts where its kept out too long, but that's another story for another day)

The irony being, of course, that if the SC did come out for these situations immediately, the marshals have less pressure on them to clean up incidents, can hear each other more clearly when the cars are the other side of the track and are free to clear up the incident more efficiently.
Yes, the FIA then decides to Dick around for 3 laps getting the backmarkers sorted, but that's by the by.

Twitter:

Last edited by codename_47 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

IceMan wrote:
Cue the FIA putting tarmac on the outside of all corners in Suzuka? Hope not.

Would that have even mattered in the pouring rain?

Last edited by Chris A on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
[...]
This is a terrible situation as it is, but Jules was also close to wiping out 3 or so marshals on top of everything else.
[...]

Agree with the whole post, emphasis on this part. Same conditions, same corner as in 1994 where a track worker got crippled, I couldn't believe my eyes when they sent the tractor, and people on track without SC.

I think it's perfectly fine to send people on track under double-waved yellows when it's dry, but under worsening conditions where you can aquaplane even after slowing down, it's irresponsible really. Just throw in a SC, let cars pile up as they wish, and go collect damage later when everyone is lined up under SC.

Last edited by Coldtyre on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:07 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Well, if the FIA will use the safety car more often now, good, about time. In this case, it should have been out after Sutil's crash, especially considering the history of that corner. Also, see Hockenheim about unnessecary risks for the marshalls.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let's not overthink the incident and over-react. SC's aren't the only and always the answer. What is needed is careful consideration and analysis of what happened today then take appropriate action. It was an isolated incident, but a stark reminder that the worst is always a possibility.

Just stating "we need more SC periods" doesn't solve anything as you're not allowing for understanding of an incident.

German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

dicksplaash wrote:
Well, if the FIA will use the safety car more often now, good, about time. In this case, it should have been out after Sutil's crash, especially considering the history of that corner. Also, see Hockenheim about unnessecary risks for the marshalls.

Yeah, race control has been bafflingly inconsistent of late with their safety car decisions

Last edited by James B on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Silver Member
Silver Member

talkin about a big cerebral hematoma on italian tv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
Let's not overthink the incident and over-react. SC's aren't the only and always the answer. What is needed is careful consideration and analysis of what happened today then take appropriate action. It was an isolated incident, but a stark reminder that the worst is always a possibility.

Just stating "we need more SC periods" doesn't solve anything as you're not allowing for understanding of an incident.

JCB needed on track=safety car

I'd like that to become a blanket rule.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't disagree to that Paul but there are times when JCBs are well out of harms way (and out of the way of a potential freak occurrence).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:20 pm 
Permabanned

The safety car don`t save from tractors..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:23 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
I don't disagree to that Paul but there are times when JCBs are well out of harms way (and out of the way of a potential freak occurrence).

Obviously, but F1 has been pushing this too far recently in the quest for un-broken up races and today it bit them.
Also, any time one appears to gather up a track (or marshals are on track like Hockenheim) it's an intensely worrying time for the viewer, at least IMO, and that's not something I view as part of the entertainment I tuned in for.

I watch to see cars and drivers combat each other on track, watching Marshals being put in harms way just so the racing can continue unimpeded isn't part of the entertainment for me.

Twitter:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 5579 Next