TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1121 122 123 124 125302 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

McLaren Honda.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

With Ron Dennis back at his place? I really doubt that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I thought so too, but if Fernando comes along with a title sponsor (as has been rumoured - Movistar is the latest, which is quite funny considering his extracurricular activities) I think they could sit down and talk it out like adults.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fish88 wrote:
With Ron Dennis back at his place? I really doubt that.

Formula 1 changes quickly. Dennis might be in a very different role by then.

The only place is McLaren, unless something drastic happens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think his only chance with McLaren would be if the Movistar rumours come true. Otherwise McLaren would have no interest in him. Alonso sitting down and talking like an adult?

What about Button's previous links with Honda, are they really as good as some people say?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:18 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Dropping Alonso next to a young, promising gun like Magnussen (assuming he continues to progress during this season) kind of seems like an accident waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So paydriver Alonso saved again by the Spanish sponsors?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
the onboard footage goes blank a second or so before he hits the wall ...... and nobody seems to know why.
There is someone who posts on the F1fanatics website who says he/she used to work for FOM & they were asked about the onboard footage from Senna's car a few months ago.

They said that the footage went blank because the person running that particular onboard feed switched to another car (Ukyo Katayama) & that the missing few seconds of footage on the tape between Senna's camera going off & Katayama's camera coming on was perfectly normal on the systems they had at the time as the frequencies had to be tuned from one OnBoard camera to the next.

At the time FOM could only have 4 OnBoard cameras active at any 1 time so they were continuously switching between them depending on what was going on in the race. As is the same today if a camera isn't running live then no footage is been captured from it.

They also said that once the decision to switch to another camera had been made & the re-tuning process started there was no chance to cancel it. It's just pure chance that the decision was taken just before Senna went off & that the tuning process woudl have been initiated before he started to go off.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StanV wrote:
Dropping Alonso next to a young, promising gun like Magnussen (assuming he continues to progress during this season) kind of seems like an accident waiting to happen.

My thoughts exactly.... The way Kevin is doing right now it's a trainwreck in the making if Alonso joins him.

Besides that, there is absolutely no guarantee McLaren-Honda will be great. Will he even be willing to take a step to the side instead a step forward?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:58 pm 

Scotty wrote:
When was the last time we had a championship where the clear 2 fastest cars have been teammates, and have been really close to each other? I mean with a clear gap to the next best runner? Webber never really got to Vettel, Massa never got close to Raikkonen in 2007, Fisi never got close to Alonso, Barrichello never got close to Schumacher. Only scenario I can think of is Williams 1997.

why this reference? Ferrari didn't have a clear gap to next best runner, actually, Mclaren were arguably overall faster.

Plus, Massa was better than Kimi on first half but had misfortunes in the second and for that got out of the tittle fight. Still, he needed to give his win to Kimi, in order for him to become champion

About the Honda issue. I wonder how much advantage will they have for being allowed to keep developing their PU against the already homologated Ferrari/Mercedes/Renault

And it's not that Honda has started late with their development. I remember they saying to be already developing it way before the deal with Mclaren was made public

Alonso doesn't have much to lose as Ferrari is always shit anyway. Imho, he's head and shoulders better than Button(and also confortably the best driver in the world) and I also think Mclaren and Honda rates him like that too.

Magnussen isn't impressing me that much. He had a nice first race but JB also had a fantastic recovery in that one. In the last two, he was mediocre. Kvyat's been doing better imo.

Btw, Mclaren was joking about the Dennis and Alonso relationship couple of weeks ago by posting a pic of the 2 together, from 2007, having a good laugh and claiming it to be from a week before the posting of it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:36 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Williams '97? No way there either, Frentzen was never consistent enough to get close to JV. Maybe it is '96 you are thinking of, Scotty.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
the onboard footage goes blank a second or so before he hits the wall ...... and nobody seems to know why.
There is someone who posts on the F1fanatics website who says he/she used to work for FOM & they were asked about the onboard footage from Senna's car a few months ago.

They said that the footage went blank because the person running that particular onboard feed switched to another car (Ukyo Katayama) & that the missing few seconds of footage on the tape between Senna's camera going off & Katayama's camera coming on was perfectly normal on the systems they had at the time as the frequencies had to be tuned from one OnBoard camera to the next.

At the time FOM could only have 4 OnBoard cameras active at any 1 time so they were continuously switching between them depending on what was going on in the race. As is the same today if a camera isn't running live then no footage is been captured from it.

They also said that once the decision to switch to another camera had been made & the re-tuning process started there was no chance to cancel it. It's just pure chance that the decision was taken just before Senna went off & that the tuning process woudl have been initiated before he started to go off.

That sounds very plausible and the most logical conclusion. But surely in this day and age, with the hundred's of millions of dollars that the FOM rake in each year, that they could afford to have all the cameras record everything at all times. Yes I know its a bandwidth thing, but I just feel that FOM and CVC are under investing in their television coverage and are just relying on F1 to sell itself.

What do they give us? New graphics? Oh wow. A camera that turns back around on itself, that Indy Car have had for what, 10 years? and a faster and better one to boot. With the technology that is available, F1 could be absolutely phenomenal to watch and right on the cutting edge of sports broadcasting.

But I guess that is what you get when an investment firm conrolls the commercial aspect of the sport. They want maximum ROI with minimal input, and just enough investment to be appealing for a possible take over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Formula 1 has never been at the forefront of broadcasting, look how long it took them to adopt 16x9.

The other thing with the Senna thing people forget, in those days the cameras were analogue line of sight to the helicopter only, if they went under a bridge, or in Senna's case overhanging trees then the signal was lost anyway, even if the person had never switched to another frequency, we would never have seen the impact itself since it was under the tree line.

I know Bernie is a cu next tuesday, but there was no conspiracy there, just a large amount of bad luck.

CVC is an investment group, they are not in Formula 1 to improve it's television appeal, they're in it to make as much money as possible, period.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Formula 1 has never been at the forefront of broadcasting,
With the brief exception of F1 Digital+.

Its often been speculated that that service failing & losing as much money as it did is part of why Bernie is less willing to invest in new tech now.

Ian-S wrote:
look how long it took them to adopt 16x9.
Again according to the Ex-FOM guy, He was saying that the switch to 16x9 took as long as it did because of the local host broadcasters which were still been used at the time.

Some of them could have provided a 16x9 broadcast while others could not & it they didn't want the broadcast to be constantly changing between 16x9 & 4x3 through the year depending on what the local broadcaster could provide.

When FOM took over most of the broadcasts in 2007 they took it 16x9 & ensured the few local broadcasters still been used (Monaco, Japan & Brazil that year) could provide the same.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yup, Bernie was really naive with Digital+, he teamed up with all the broadcasters that had compromised networks and didn't use any of the secure ones, it was like taking candy from a baby decrypting the Digital+ broadcasts, nobody paid for them.

IIRC Digital+ was 4:3 though, not 16:9.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haas has been granted an entry for next year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113401

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Rossi + one other then.

If it gets going properly. Nothing to do with 2015 actually mentioned in the statement.

Also noticed that Force India ran without Sahara branding last week. (Sahara is currently properly in the shit, for those unaware)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Some restrictions between India and Bahrain?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Vassago wrote:
Some restrictions between India and Bahrain?

yep, is a fierce competition between deserts (Sahara and Gulf) :p

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So, does Colin Kolles' Romanian-team still have a chance to become the 13th team?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1121 122 123 124 125302 Next