TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13302 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

That's sad, he seemed like a top bloke. RIP.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:41 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

He's the only F1-dad that regularly appeared on-screen and at the same time seemed a totally awesome man.:(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sad news.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Really sad news. He was a very likeable guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

He seemed to be very well liked and popular within the paddock. Seeing his face around will definitely be missed. RIP John :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RIP to John and thoughts are with Jenson, family and friends.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bit of a lad was John.
My mate was out after a race in Singapore, just getting tea etc.. about midnight there was a group of them getting in a minibus taxi and along comes John , Pissed up, woman on both arms and scrounging a lift back to the paddock where he had a hired motorhome..
Saucy

It's your forum and I paid the bills this year.. :p :p

and if people don't like it they shouldComplain here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

In other news, Max has taken number 4 this year (lol)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:

Odd fact but that is the number of his finishing position in both the 2009 British F3 Championship and 2012 GP2 Series.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
James B wrote:

Odd fact but that is the number of his finishing position in both the 2009 British F3 Championship and 2012 GP2 Series.

Another odd fact is that Hamilton's #44 is all his previous F1 numbers added up.

Going to be weird seeing such a low number on a Marussia!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
Another odd fact is that Hamilton's #44 is all his previous F1 numbers added up.

Now that's just proper nerdy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

As a disclaimer I found that on Atlas. Although there is a full number stat attack as a feature on F1Zone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
One of my favourite people in Formula 1 has left us.

John Button was a man who got so many things right.

John raised a son who has kept his head firmly on his shoulders despite the mega-stardom that his career has brought. I remember checking in at the Suzuka Circuit hotel next to John and Jenson. John insisted there be an iron in Jenson’s room. I was a bit surprised, and John saw the quizzical look on my face. “He irons his own shirts man, and he always will”, he told me. Jenson just smiled. It’s not easy to raise a talented child, and even harder to raise him or her balanced and healthy and good. John made that look easy.

Rather than try to (micro)manage Jenson’s career, John stepped back, and clearly spent the last bunch of years pinching himself. He thoroughly loved the life that Jenson’s success brought him, but never took it as HIS success. He was humble, full of joy, and a true bon vivant.

John, I’m gonna miss you . . . a lot. I treasure having met you and spent time with you. Jenson, my deepest condolences to you and everyone you love, and to everyone who loves John. Remembering our talks, time we spent at the bar in Sao Paulo, and other lovely moments, will keep John present for me.

Bye John. God speed.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... hn-button/

Lots of nice tributes to JB Sr. pouring in from the F1 community but a nice one from Gary Hartstein on his blog.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:10 am 

StefMeister wrote:
Its going to be the same as last year, a 15min show rounding up the news from the day followed by a 15-20min Ted Notebook.

Guessing there will also be regular updates on Sky Sports News.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was expecting. Glad to know it, it should be enough coverage of it.

Really sad news about John Button's passing. Jenson surely is devastated. People often live much more than 68 these days... RIP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:21 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Scotty wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
How ever, that list is just utter rubbish. We've already talked about Schumacher's position and Villeneuve and Alonso. But where the hell is Kimi Räikkönen? You know, Ferrari's last champion? He's way better than Massa and should be on the list one spot higher than Alonso somewhere around 10th spot.

I can't see the list (tried to download a virus when I tried to get it), but you've lost it.

I would put Alonso so many positions above Raikkonen. Raikkonen got a world championship through in fighting between McLaren, only narrowly beating a driver who hadn't even started 20 races in his career. Then in 08 and most parts of 09, he was well below par. Got a victory in 2009 only by beating a has been in a car without KERS with $300m less of a budget.

I mean he was so amazing that he was fired before completing his contract. Arguably he was the reason Schumi was pushed out a year or two early. There are so many drivers I would put above Raikkonen who didn't even get close to championships.

Don't agree with the Massa call (his mediocrity single handedly lost Ferrari 2-3 constructors titles), but Alonso has been much better for Ferrari than Raikkonen has ever been.

Also, this isn't trolling, I don't mean any disrespect, I didn't grow up in his era, but I don't get the deal about Gilles Villeneuve. 4 and a bit seasons with 6 wins who had a bad amount of impetuosity (which would claim his life). I surely mustn't see something that everyone else sees.

I don't want to start the talks about Räikkönen's 2008 or 2009 seasons and what went wrong in there, since it's been covered so many times. All that needs to be known about those seasons that the bullshit behind the scenes went down between Kimi's grand slam at Spanish GP 2008 and Ferrari's only victory next year at the Belgian GP 2009. There were other drivers than Räikkönen and Fisichella present that day, you know. It just happened to be that Fisico was the only one who was able to throw a challenge at Kimi that day. And while Räikkönen won his first title by beating a rookie, he also beat this one spanish guy and came from 27 points down with only 30 points left to be share and eventually won by one single point because he never gave up. He didn't magically have 50 points lead at any point that would have magically vanished by the end of the final race.

Kimi has brought around same amount of GP wins than Alonso for the Ferrari, but he's also brought three championships while Alonso could go do some marketing for Audi with his streak of 0000, although, Audi probably is not that keen to pay for negative publicity as Santander and Ferrari seems to be happy to do. This year Alonso will have his final season for the Ferrari and the end is not going to get him to the Ferrari hall of fame. Räikkönen already has the upper hand on him on the mind games.

And as for Gilles Villeneuve, the results really doesn't speak up for him, since the era he was driving for the Scuderia Ferrari, the cars were one of the worsts the Maranello squad had ever came out with, except for 1979 and 1982 seasons, which ended tragically for him. What you need to know about Villeneuve is that he was the most daring daredevil in the grid and his aggressive driving style suited for ground effect cars. He was always on the edge and sometimes way over it, in the era, when a small mistake could have cost your life. Enzo Ferrari and the tifosi loved him for a good reason. He was a man who was giving everything every time when he was in his car. In many ways he was one of the best drivers that Ferrari and Formula 1 has ever had. His stint was way too short but very spectacular. Jacques had a big name to live up to when he came to F1. Everyone talked about "Gilles' kid" first and after that about Indy500 champion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:56 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am a huge Kimi fan, but I got to agree with Scott on this. Alonso has been far, far more impressive with Ferrari than what Kimi ever was. Having said that, I hope that Kimi proves everybody wrong when they say that Alonso will piss all over him. I doubt it though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:28 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
Alonso has had a disgracefully mediocre team mate who's best form was seen before his head injury. Alonso has had to go up against the 2nd greatest Formula 1 dynasty in history (only 2000-2004 Ferrari matches it). Even when he had a mediocre car, he is always a threat.

People who are Pro Alonso seem to vary wildly depending on which argument they want to use.

"Look how good Alonso is! He's destroying Massa! Massa is awful".

"Massa is actually really good, that's why Alonso is struggling right now"

Seems to flip back and forward like a light switch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:47 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Autohebdo has some information on Lotus that came out last night:
- Andrew Ruhan lent 65m Euros to Gerard Lopez while they were waiting for Quantum
- That deal never happened, so the budget has been reduced to 115m Euros
- As a result, Ruhan is now an executive and manages the marketing side
- Lots of employees have walked away or been let go

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:51 am 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

I think it's worth mentioning to those who can't/haven't actually looked through the article: "The team has hired many illustrious names before and since, but which 20 most capture the essence of Ferrari?"

That's probably the reason why Chris Amon ended up with lucky number 13th on this list :p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

When we first started discussing this article, the original comment by Jonny was that Alonso was well down the order. When I finally got round to reading document that EsbenT uploaded for us it appears Alonso is 7th. That seems a fair position all things considered. I also wouldn't call that well down the order either.

Regarding Raikkonen, I agree with most of what Scotty says. Alonso should be ahead of Raikkonen in the list.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13302 Next