TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3962 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The start of Historic F1 was just :lol: I was watching from the cafe, directly in line with the front row. Cars all over the place and they just start the race anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

0:40, strolling out of Ferrari like a boss
http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/video/12602/7880557

:p

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:54 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I hope tomorrow the weather is better than today. I'm not in the mood to watch red flags and SC's the whole race.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Regiotap wrote:
I hope tomorrow the weather is better than today. I'm not in the mood to watch red flags and SC's the whole race.

Thundery showers between 10am and 4pm. Hit and miss. Oh joy...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Good lap or not, the circumstances make that the most undeserved pole that I can remember. The handling of Q2 was an absolute farce, and we waited far too long to restart as usual.

Alonso was lucky the red flag came out. true. But conditions were fair for a red flag. Also true. They waited too long to restart Q2: true. Most undeserved pole in a long time? Not true. Alonso did a fantastic job in Q3. True.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:18 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

I'd like to see a completely dry race. Hardly any dry running so far this weekend and the difference between soft and hard tyre interests me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

and the fact most teams probably have a wet set-up...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:52 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

I do quite understand the Red Bull tyre priveledge. Are they saying that if on lap 8 tomorrow, Webber doesn't think it's time for slicks, but Vettel does, Webber stops Vettel from pitting, or Vettel will still be able to pit if he wants.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Good lap or not, the circumstances make that the most undeserved pole that I can remember. The handling of Q2 was an absolute farce, and we waited far too long to restart as usual.

What nonsense. The red flag was needed, did Alonso get fortunate with the timing? Yup but then so did Schumacher and a few others who no ones is crying about.

It's not the drivers fault that the session was delayed as long as it was and when it mattered most they went out there and delivered. Tracks getting wetter and raining again and the top four all go quicker than before. Great qualifying despite the delay.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:08 pm 

Speedworx wrote:
Fergie wrote:
In a way, I think they deserve to lose the race again. It's absolutely disgusting how they handle grand prix's, and not just this year. Every year its chaos however the rain has just added an extra element this year. You'd think after the decades they've been running this it'd get better, but it's the same every damn year.

Says a person with no experience.

I went to all 3 days in 2006. No problems.

Qual day in 2008, no problems.

Practice day last year (in the rain), no problems.

Not much Silverstone can do when June has been the wettest on record and you have a months rain in 24hrs! Its not their fault and they don't own enough land to have all tarmac car parks.

I went in 08, took 2 hours to get out of the car park on Sunday, 09 was 3 hours, last year was better as we used park and ride. I guess it depends on where they send you to park, but the same horrible incompetence lingers every year.

On the other hand, today was excellent and we were able to sit in a variety of places and the atmosphere was great even during red flag. Just a shame 20k others werent able to enjoy that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:55 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Just got back home and about to dive into my Chinese takeaway!

I will report my day with some photos later.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:04 pm 

Flooding in Walsall as well then.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

ryan86 wrote:
Flooding in Walsall as well then.

For real? *goes and charges up my phone to text my girlfriend*

Now I just have finished my takeway meal, it was ok as someone cocked up my order. Argh, the frustration after looking forward to a meal of crispy duck with pancakes followed by a meal of sweet and sour chicken.

Never mind, went on the train from Cheltenham at 7.15 and arrived at Woodcote around 10.45 via two trains, shuttlebus and a trek through some muddy car parks.

Decided that my brother and I go to the Becketts grandstand as I want to see the cars up close. Plus what I didn't know that I could see the Arena section with the Aintree Straight as well as the Hanger Straight with Stowe Corner in the distance. We were pleased we got a covered grandstand seat.

Saw out the last 15mins of FP3 and the qualifying of the Porsche Cup. Then to the F1 qualifying, did see Schumacher spinning off at Becketts and I just saw Alonso spinning off, I did thought he hit the barriers but he got away with it. Same for Massa.

But the red flag period was frustrating as it was cold and windy inside the Becketts grandstand but my brother and I decided to entertain ourselves/pass the time by writing a list of the years from 1950 to 2011 and work out who were the British Grand Prix winners. I just managed to beat him as my 1970s and 1980s knowledge was pretty decent.

Finally the qualifying restarted and it was entertaining to watch. I was hoping Schumacher would get it as he was leading at one point but for only Alonso to get it at the end.

Finally we watched the GP2 Feature race and it was rather uneventful from where we sat. The only time when we woke up from the race when Stefano Coletti got out of shape coming out of Becketts and only to lose it at the start of the Hanger Straight.

Left immediately after the GP2 race, we got on the shuttlebus and train and got back to Cheltenham around 8.50pm. It was a good day as we sat at Becketts all day. We will go out and explore more tomorrow as we got more time in our hands.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:17 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the red flag was necessary. The problem I have is that 15 drivers have wasted a set of full wets for nothing, because the situation on track was much better after the red flag. I think they have to look again to this rule when it rains. Maybe they can decide that when the qualifying is at 25% of the session-time, there will be no red flag for bad weather, or a red flag means the qualifying is over?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:53 pm 

It was the phrase "I'm going to dive into my Chinese takeaway" bigears. Sorry if I unduly concerned you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 am 

some heavy showers around for the grand prix, but I think they will miss the circuit ... just.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Magnifico wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:

What nonsense. The red flag was needed, did Alonso get fortunate with the timing? Yup but then so did Schumacher and a few others who no ones is crying about.

It's not the drivers fault that the session was delayed as long as it was and when it mattered most they went out there and delivered. Tracks getting wetter and raining again and the top four all go quicker than before. Great qualifying despite the delay.

Is it fair that Ferrari made completely the wrong call, and then end up with pole and an extra set of tyres? Sauber/Perez did the best job in Q2, and start way down the field. I don't see how that's fair?

The red flag probably was needed (although I'd argue that they should have just sat in the pits and let the clock tick away). What's nonsensical is that the session was restarted when conditions were far better than any point that laps were previously set. At least credit the teams that made the right call with some extra sets of wets.

Last edited by De Cesaris fan on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:
some heavy showers around for the grand prix, but I think they will miss the circuit ... just.

That's good news but any light rain then?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:43 am 

aerogi wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:

Alonso was lucky the red flag came out. true. But conditions were fair for a red flag. Also true. They waited too long to restart Q2: true. Most undeserved pole in a long time? Not true. Alonso did a fantastic job in Q3. True.

Well said.

I think a bit of changeable weather today will be good as it least we won't have to sit and watch a tyre endurance run.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, I'm not denying that Alonso did the best job in Q3. I just don't think it's fair that he made it that far when the team had made the wrong decision.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3962 Next