TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Maldonado vs Hamilton incident, Who was at Fault?
Hamilton 25%  25%  [ 22 ]
Maldonado 31%  31%  [ 28 ]
50/50 - Racing incident, they're both Big boys! 44%  44%  [ 39 ]
Total votes: 89
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:29 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Let's keep the topic on track chaps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:43 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

StanV wrote:
Great discussion. I have only seen the race with half an eye so I can't really add something substantial.

Helmut?

I'm so sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StanV wrote:
Great discussion. I have only seen the race with half an eye so I can't really add something substantial.

I do am trying to imagine what this forum would have been like in '89 and '90 with the Ayrton vs. Alain battles. Pages and pages and pages :p

I am so glad we have eventful races and pages of discussions like these, instead of pages of debating how to make F1 racing closer and more interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:13 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

after extensive thought and having seen much of F1 in the past (be it live or recorded), I must say 2012 is the best season. Ever. Such a competitive field but with the strong guys at the front (unlike some sort of loophole in the regulation giving one team a surprise benefit with average drivers dominating).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Just watched the replay again and on Lap 55 Lewis took exactly the same line as a lap later. The difference was that Kimi backed out and did the pass a turn or two later.

Speaking of 'who's at fault', but in a different way - Vergne will have to dig into his own pockets to pay the 25,000 Euro fine for hitting Heikki, according to Horner.

Last edited by phil1993 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

micha wrote:
I wonder if the stewards where to afraid to punish him because poor little Lewis would play the race-card again......

If you are serious, there are no words that can descibe how stupid you are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:15 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I know there's this common idea that Lewis is penalised more than others - remember that they kind of made up a rule in Spa 2008 to penalise him! - but that's a little bit ridiculous to suggests they didn't penalise him because he'd go all Ali G on them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BrainPain wrote:
micha wrote:
I wonder if the stewards where to afraid to punish him because poor little Lewis would play the race-card again......

Hamilton's tyres where not capable of doing their job. Hamilton lost it on almost every corner.
I cannot believe the stewards thought only Maldonado was guilty. Either punish both drivers or don't. Punishing Maldonado is just laughable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

micha wrote:
Hamilton's tyres where not capable of doing their job. Hamilton lost it on almost every corner.
I cannot believe the stewards thought only Maldonado was guilty. Either punish both drivers or don't. Punishing Maldonado is just laughable.

If his tyres were completely gone, Pastor would have not taken half a lap to crash into him. We saw in Canada what shot tyres are really like, when Alonso was utterly helpless.

Watch the replay again and see how it compares to how Kimi conducted himself a lap before.

I agree with Nea that it's 75-25 in this case, but for all of Pastor's sheer speed, he has been, is, and probably always will be a total dick in terms of racecraft.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
BrainPain wrote:
micha wrote:

The only thing that is laughable is the incredibly dim view of racing you have and your utterly pathetic choice of words.

Come on Micha, you're better than that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:40 pm 

my view is that Hamilton is largely to blame. He should have been more cautious, certainly when someone like Maldonado is charging from behind. Defence was pretty much useless because he would have got him by the next corner. Maldonado taking out Hamilton was avoidable, but in the line of recent punishments, the drive through (aka 20 sec post race) was more than reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tobias wrote:
certainly when someone like Maldonado is charging from behind..

That's the comment that's completely dismantled your argument right there.

'Someone like Maldonado' = you acknowledge that he's over-eager and a little reckless.

I'm hoping I can get media access for Sillystone so I can ask Pastor straight up whether he needs to alter his style.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
micha wrote:

The only thing that is laughable is the incredibly dim view of racing you have and your utterly pathetic choice of words.

I would have meatballed or even given drive tru Hamilton after the Raikonen battle.
His tyres where shot. Look back, he barely could hold the car on the track. defending was useless to begin with. Let alone they way Hamilton tried to cut off Railkonen and Maldonado on multiple occasions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

micha wrote:
I would have meatballed or even given drive tru Hamilton after the Raikonen battle.

:o

This is the problem with racing nowadays. People seem to think you're not allowed to defend. In my eyes, the brief Hamilton-Raikkonen battle was an exciting piece of racing between a driver desperately defending and one who was waiting for his moment and then pounced.

There was no malice, no contact. Clean and fair.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
kals wrote:
micha wrote:

His tyres where shot. Look back, he barely could hold the car on the track. defending was useless to begin with. Let alone they way Hamilton tried to cut off Railkonen and Maldonado on multiple occasions.

But it's racing for goodness sake. Remember?

Lewis was trying to get the best position possible. What does it matter if his tyres were shot or not? He's a racing driver and he's entitled to defend his position, hard or not. If you don't believe that he's entitled to do that, then I don't know why you watch racing. And as for cutting off Maldonado multiple times well, the incident happened on Maldonado's first attempt... There was nothing wrong with the battle with Raikkonen, you suggesting Lewis deserved a drive through for that is as pathetic as your comment about the FIA and the race card...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

racing huh?? So thats why they send out the SC for a few drops of rain and red flag it when it actually rains.....

Actually I change my mind. McLaren is to blame. They should have seen the whole picture and should have told Lewis to back off and let Maldonado to pass so he could at least salvage 4th place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

micha wrote:
racing huh?? So thats why they send out the SC for a few drops of rain and red flag it when it actually rains.....

Actually I change my mind. McLaren is to blame. They should have seen the whole picture and should have told Lewis to back off and let Maldonado to pass so he could at least salvage 4th place.

The only situation I can really say was a joke with rain was Canada 2011 and the amount of time it took them to restart. Personally, I don't think Pirelli's wet tyres are very good, but anyway.

We have Safety Cars & red flags now because no-one wants a repeat of Spa 1998.

McLaren is to blame for fucking up his stop and leaving him a few positions down on where he should be in the first place.

Personally if I was Whitmarsh, I'd be frustrated. If I was SFW, I'd be apoplectic. Remember how he said that he wouldn't have signed Maldonado is he was a 'wanker'? Wonder if he feels the same still. Points make prizes and Pastor keeps throwing them away while Bruno's struggling to hit the top 10.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:29 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

micha wrote:

Seriously? Hamilton did nothing wrong. Granted, he could have done more to avoid the accident, but he did not cause it and did not drive dangerously. Maldonado simply showed that he is a driver that acts without always thinking of the bigger picture. Kimi showed that you could pass Hamilton if you were sensible about it.

Are you a fan of the old "No blocking" rule from IndyCar?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:33 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

micha wrote:

Believe it or not, but yes, F1 is actually about racing. Hamilton, if you remember, is usually the only driver who gets agitated when there is a red flag for rain.

Also, Maldonado should have seen the bigger picture. He should have waited so he could have salvaged at least 4th place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel Hamilton made a mistake by forcing the defence, specially being against someone like Maldonado, with totally worn out tyres. But this is a stategy mistake, not a driving one. And that's where Hamilton's falut ends and Maldonado's one begins.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next