TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20108 Next

Who is the better driver?
Dario Franchitti 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
Mark Plourde 80%  80%  [ 74 ]
Total votes: 92
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cleveland I've heard is down to the organisers and the mayor still being anti-IRL.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:06 pm 
The most anticipated member

dicksplash wrote:
It's ridiculous that New Hampshire was given up after just one year...

Exactly what I thought too...what a shame, specially because Loudon is not a dangerous oval aswell, is it? And If not adding ovals on the schedule with the safety excuse, why Fontana then? There is nothing that proves Fontana is safe for Indycars...of course I'm favor of Fontana, love this oval for Indycar racing but If you take out Las Vegas, If you don't add Michigan, If you take out most ovals of the schedule, you need a strong excuse to add Fontana...

What about Milwaukee? Also left behind after a quick one year comeback, provided excellent racing this year...Milwaukee should be mandatory on the schedule! And I still wonder what the f* has happened to Homestead and Richmond...there was no reasonable explanation for their removal.

And I go far beyond this, what's the f*cking problem with that great Disney oval? Out of an major racing schedule for more than 10 years except serving as an useless playground for Mickey Mouse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:40 pm 
Head Muppet

Mike Conway signed to drive the #14 for Foyt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Memy Selfandi wrote:
Ferrari wrote:
Schedule:

March 25: St. Petersburg, Fla. (CRAP)

April 1: Barber Motorsports Park (MEH)

April 15: Long Beach, Calif. (MEH)

April 29: Sao Paulo, Brazil (CRAP)

May 27: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (BEST)

June 3: Detroit (CRAP)

June 9: Texas Motor Speedway (YAWN)

June 23: Iowa Speedway (YAWN)

July 8: Toronto (YES)

July 22: Edmonton (CRAP COVERED CRAP)

Aug. 5: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (YES)

Aug. 19: Qingdao, China (I'M BETTING YAWN)

Aug. 26: Infineon Raceway (YES)

Sept. 2: Baltimore (YES)

Sept. 15: Auto Club Speedway (PROBABLY GO FLAT OUT HERE - *YAWN*)

Given the fact that it's a new car that will be a handful for the teams to adapt to, I wouldn't be so sure about Auto Club being a flat-out track. Don't forget that place is also worn out and bumpy as hell.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:17 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

J.Morelli wrote:
Milwaukee should be mandatory on the schedule!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They should go to Zolder and Assen if Texas and Baltimore don't work out. :p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sigh... Insert detracted sarcastic statement here with a slight twinge of hopeless foreboding.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

A brand new crapwagon and a craptacular schedule. Like The Who once sang, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss." :yuk:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:32 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

News:

Randy Bernard did interview with ESPN Radio affiliate today. Announcing the 16 race schedule will be released tomorrow that includes a TBA. The TBA will announced in February. A Vegas street race, Indianapolis street race, Kentucky Speedway, or Phoenix Raceway are being considered as the TBA.

-Lotus won't conduct their first test until January 13-14 with HVM,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:58 am 
Head Muppet

The interview also had Bernard citing a study showing that only 15.7% of Indycar fans that answered a survey wanted more ovals.

Now we have a big reason that tells us why the schedule is the way it is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:53 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jeez you guys don't complain much do you...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:01 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Raikkon wrote:
Jeez you guys don't complain much do you...

When mid 1990s IndyCar was quite possibly the best racing series I have ever seen, it is incredibly disappointing and infuriating to watch the current version of IndyCar make so many mistakes and poor decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:23 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Okay, I'm just gonna ramble on here 'cause I'm at a loss as to what everyone's expectations are of the IndyCar Series. If I make sense, great, if I don't, feel free to ignore.

First of all, there's no argument over the damage that Tony George did in 1995. The story's been told again and again, and we all know the consequences of what happened. But he's gone. His prize stooge is now also gone. He's been replaced by someone in Randy Bernard who has a plan for where he wants IndyCar to be but also realises that it will take a while to get there, especially with the radically changed reality that he faces compared to 1995.

It hasn't helped that his first major play to try and rejuvinate IndyCar backfired catastrophically. That's the second thing. Vegas was a disaster and it has almost certainly set IndyCar back a bit. The reason Vegas drew a 1.8 in the Nielsens is because 5 million people watched the final 30 minutes. So there are a lot of people who may have been interested in a strong open-wheel alternative to NASCAR who would have been driven away again by what they saw. Progress in growing the series will be slower in coming as a result.

But, that aside, there are steps in the right direction. We have a new car. Yes, there were major teething troubles when they first tested it but the last pre-Christmas test gave some indication that those problems were being dealt with. We have an engine war for the first time in years. From 2013 there will also be an aero war which is as close as we will get to a full chassis war for a long time. It hasn't even raced yet and there are people criticising it? Come on. Give it a chance.

And yes, the schedule looks very weak compared to the glory days. But IndyCar simply cannot afford to run at all these old circuits for the sake of nostalgia. They have to be financially viable. The series is no longer being financed by Tony George's chequebook, it has to be self-sustaining. It's not like F1 where Bernie is charging exorbitent fees for the purposes of sucking promoters dry; IndyCar is trying to run a business. And in some cases the people that used to act as promoters just don't want to know. Ultimately IndyCar can only run at the circuits that can afford it right now. If the economy picks up, and if IndyCar picks up, then they can surely entertain the idea of running again at the old circuits.

And I know a lot of people scoff at the Chinese race, that it mimics so well what CART and the CCWS did in their dying years, but I guarantee that if they can get Ho-Pin Tung or some other Chinese driver in a half-decent ride then IndyCar will sell in China like hot cakes. It might actually attract some real investment besides IZOD. This has actually been one of Bernie's biggest mistakes of recent times; he wants a Russian driver for the Russian GP and an American driver for the American GPs but he has not made any real attempt to secure a Chinese driver for the Chinese GP. If Randy can do this he may crack China.

IndyCar right now is fighting against the economy and it's fighting against NASCAR. Two battles it did not have in 1995 and they are difficult battles. Considering the position the series is in it's a wonder how its still alive. I'd love for the series to race at Michigan, to race at Milwaukee, Richmond, Cleveland, Laguna Seca and all those good and great tracks which it isn't right now, and for there to be multiple chassis manufacturers really committed to trying to beat each other. But it's not possible right now. I believe it will be possible in the future, but for the meantime all anyone can have is patience and belief.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:41 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

very well said

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:58 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
We have a new car.

A very fundamentally flawed car that has way too much drag and not enough horsepower thanks to the specs they have to work with. No amount of aero competition can save this pile of shit I'm afraid. I have very low expectations for this car.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:08 am 

Location: Augusta, Georgia. First joined TBK july 2002 as alltel#12fan
Ferrari wrote:
News:

Randy Bernard did interview with ESPN Radio affiliate today. Announcing the 16 race schedule will be released tomorrow that includes a TBA. The TBA will announced in February. A Vegas street race, Indianapolis street race, Kentucky Speedway, or Phoenix Raceway are being considered as the TBA.

-Lotus won't conduct their first test until January 13-14 with HVM,

phoenix plz! if not that i guess an indy street race could be fun ... mabey at night :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
looong

this post.

i agree with.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:10 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

RtN wrote:
IndyCar right now is fighting against the economy and it's fighting against NASCAR. Two battles it did not have in 1995 and they are difficult battles. Considering the position the series is in it's a wonder how its still alive. I'd love for the series to race at Michigan, to race at Milwaukee, Richmond, Cleveland, Laguna Seca and all those good and great tracks which it isn't right now, and for there to be multiple chassis manufacturers really committed to trying to beat each other. But it's not possible right now. I believe it will be possible in the future, but for the meantime all anyone can have is patience and belief.

1.) Ho-Pin Tung was born, raised, and lives in the Netherlands. He just chooses to race with a Chinese license.

2.) Nascar eclipsed IndyCar as the most watched American motorsport prior to split.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ferrari wrote:
RtN wrote:

1.) Ho-Pin Tung was born, raised, and lives in the Netherlands. He just chooses to race with a Chinese license.

2.) Nascar eclipsed IndyCar as the most watched American motorsport prior to split.

1) True, but I don't believe that most ordinary Chinese would care should he become the focus of attention.

2) Again, true, but NASCAR was by no means as dominant then as it is now. It is a different kind of fight.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nascar is not as dominant as you believe they are either, when their TV contracts come up for renegotiation, things might be very different.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20108 Next