TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1601 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81 Next

Le vainqueur des 24H du Mans 2015
Poll ended at Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:45 pm
#1 Toyota (Davidson-Buemi-Nakajima/Kobayashi) 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
#2 Toyota (Wurz-Sarrazin-Conway) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
#7 Audi (Fässler-Lotterer-Tréluyer) 22%  22%  [ 17 ]
#8 Audi (Di Grassi-Duval-Jarvis) 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
#9 Audi (Albuquerque-Bonanomi-Rast) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#17 Porsche (Bernhard-Webber-Hartley) 16%  16%  [ 12 ]
#18 Porsche (Dumas-Jani-Lieb) 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
#19 Porsche (Hülkenberg-Bamber-Tandy) 16%  16%  [ 12 ]
#21 Nissan (Matsuda-Shulzhitskiy-Ordoñez) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#22 Nissan (Tincknell-Krumm-Buncombe) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
#23 Nissan (Pla-Mardenborough-Chilton) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
A Rebellion 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
An LMP2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
PATRICK DEMPSEY 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Total votes: 77
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is a few seconds faster for a 14 km long track really that big a deal? With cars that are becoming safer and safer every year?

They should better focus on making the track a bit more safe on certain places, and I am not talking about 5 mile wide run off areas, but a few more tyre walls (or safety bariers) here and there could be a great help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:36 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Changing the angle of walls in dangerous spots, like where that Aston hit this year is the priority.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tyres or even a SAFER barrier where the first Aston crashed and a second row of tyres where the second Aston crashed.

At least this year none of the LMP's took off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:57 pm 

Yeah it was a very safe race overall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:03 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

For the haters

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fuelke wrote:
I found these on imgur: http://imgur.com/a/8dHPH

Not sure who is the photographer ... maybe somebody here can shed a light ?

I don't know but guessing because I saw those posted so quickly on reddit after the race: manufacturers' own press/media sites and maybe a photo agency.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:42 am 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

Can I just say that I really appreciate sportscar teams that use a base paint scheme with different colours for each car? Even if it's just a case of differently coloured rollover hoops like Audi did in 2008, it's just so much more visible than only colouring the mirrors. Well done, Porsche.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But they only use the white one in other WEC races (especially now that it became the wining one). imho it is pretty boring livery.

If the top teams had title sponsors I bet we would see something more exciting liveries. Especially Audi is just hopeless designing liveries.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:48 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Northfire wrote:
For the haters

:)

The original:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spoiler:
I can't believe that Nissan was trumpeting its unclassified finish among the walking wounded at the Le Mans 24 Hours as "mission accomplished". We expect a bit of spin from underperforming manufacturers from time to time, but what we have read from the Japanese manufacturer after last weekend takes PR puff to a new extreme.

Nissan did always say that one of its goals was to get a car to the finish, but there were other stated targets that the front-wheel-drive GT-R LM NISMO didn't come remotely close to hitting. Like the one about being "significantly faster" than the best of the LMP2s. Or simply being credible.

That was a word that had disappeared from the Nissan PR vernacular over the weekend. And quite rightly so. I can't see what was remotely credible about Nissan's performance on its return to the top division of endurance racing.

The Nissan Motorsports team needed to convince the world — and presumably some besuited bosses high up at the company — that the concept behind the GT-R LM holds water. To do that, the Nissan Motorsports team would have been better served by trying to get a decent lap time out of at least one of the cars.

Had a Nissan lapped close to the pace of one of the AER-engined Rebellion R-Ones, the best of the small band of privateer LMP1s at Le Mans this year, it would have provided some kind of validation of designer Ben Bowlby's ideas, at least the aerodynamic ones.

You might think that a manufacturer should be beating an independent every day of the week, but it is not quite simple as that in the brave new world of fuel-formula LMP1 racing.

A decent non-hybrid P1 should be faster than a factory car that was running, as Nissan has now admitted, without its energy-retrieval system engaged. That's just physics: non-hybrid privateers run at a lower minimum weight — 850kg compared with 870kg — and get a larger fuel allocation each lap.

There is a school of thought that the GT-R LM hit some kind of wall last weekend and just wouldn't go much below the eventual best for the car, a 3m35.888s set by Harry Tincknell. But I'm inclined to believe Nissan motorsport boss Darren Cox's assertion that there was more time in the car had the drivers not been directed to stay off the kerbs in the pursuit of a finish. TV pictures backed it up.

But why not split the strategies to try to achieve both its reliability and performance targets?

If I were wearing Cox's (untucked) shirt, I'd have told Oli Pla, Tincknell or whoever to get out there and rag the thing in the pursuit of a sub-3m30s lap time. Everyone knows that there is oodles of time to be made up around the Circuit de la Sarthe by monstering the kerbs.

Cox has admitted that the GT-R LM had some kind of suspension problem last weekend. The #23 car shared by Pla, Jann Mardenborough and Max Chilton did retire with a suspension issue late on in the race, though Nissan hasn't gone into specifics.

Surely Nissan was being too conservative. Which is strange for a manufacturer that went radical in the drawing office. Or perhaps it was just too fixated on getting a car to the finish. Or maybe there were some kind of safety concerns that led to the call to stay away from the kerbs.

I can't possibly know what was going on in the minds of Cox and Bowlby (who is also, strangely, team principal as well as technical director of the Nissan Motorsports squad) last week. What I do know is that Nissan's performance was a disaster by every measure but its own.

The #22 car, shared by Tincknell, Michael Krumm and Alex Buncombe, might have taken the chequered flag, but over the course of the race it spent nearly eight hours in the pits. That's one third of the race in case your maths is as bad as mine.

Even so, I believe that Nissan was right to be at Le Mans this year, even if it was woefully underprepared. Withdrawing the cars would have been a political disaster for the company, and Cox is right when he says that it was a worthwhile exercise in gathering data ahead of next year.

You might think it's prescient of Nissan to start talking about 2016 following such a dismal showing. But Cox insists that his bosses remain on-side and is still talking about being "right up the front battling with the Germans" next season.

It would be a leap of faith to take him at his word, but Nissan should be able to find seconds by the bucketload if the GT-R LM returns — and returns in the form in which it was conceived.

The Nissan programme began to unravel the moment it became clear that it couldn't run the rear deployment system for the kinetic energy it retrieved from the front axle. (The rear set-up didn't work on the dyno.) Not only did that rob the car of eight megajoules of retrieved energy per lap, but it had a domino effect on successive areas of the car.

Reduced energy retrieval forced a switch to bigger brake discs at the front. That meant a switch to conventional 18-inch wheels rather than 16-inch rims that allowed for the high-profile tyre with which the car was conceived.

The move was made late enough for Nissan to be unable to develop a bespoke tyre together with Michelin. That ensured that it had to run on the rubber developed for its rivals rather than tyres designed specifically for the needs of front-wheel drive.

One unconfirmed story is that the GT-R LMs have, at least at some point, run an Audi rear on the front. It is also understood that Michelin took a conservative line on tyre pressures, forcing Nissan to run far higher than required for optimum grip and life.

My hope is that Nissan will be able to put the jigsaw back together, which all hinges on getting the hybrid boost to the back wheels.

That in itself will provide a massive gain in lap time that Cox claims is worth four seconds a lap at Le Mans, presuming it can achieve the 8MJ maximum.

A proper tyre developed for the car will yield enormous gains as well. Plus there is the benefit of being able to use the kerbs. Factor in some natural development, and you might get to a total of a dozen seconds or more.

So I hope you can understand that as abject as Nissan's performance was this year, there were reasons for it. And the same reasoning suggests that it can be much more competitive at Le Mans next year.

That is, of course, presuming there is a next year. I cannot be sure that the GT-R LM achieved enough for the project to continue into a second season. But I am sure that some halfway-decent lap times would have given Nissan a better chance of coming back than a "finish" and some spurious headlines.

Interesting read on the Nissan's. They didn't have the right tyres built specifically for the car and the drivers had to stay off the kerbs. Be interesting to see how much time they'd gain running tyres specific to the car and the hybrid system to the rear wheels.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:49 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

So why did the #4 car get excluded?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not having the correct driver ballast.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/le-m ... -notebook/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Was it ever confirmed what the Nissan hit on the straight?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:45 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Gaara wrote:

Here's the full article of that, dude deserves the hits.

http://nasportscar.com/2015-24-hrs-of-l ... ta-review/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

The Rebellions are fast... so whats their problem? Shit Aero? Too heavy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Spoiler:
I can't believe that Nissan was trumpeting its unclassified finish among the walking wounded at the Le Mans 24 Hours as "mission accomplished". We expect a bit of spin from underperforming manufacturers from time to time, but what we have read from the Japanese manufacturer after last weekend takes PR puff to a new extreme.

Nissan did always say that one of its goals was to get a car to the finish, but there were other stated targets that the front-wheel-drive GT-R LM NISMO didn't come remotely close to hitting. Like the one about being "significantly faster" than the best of the LMP2s. Or simply being credible.

That was a word that had disappeared from the Nissan PR vernacular over the weekend. And quite rightly so. I can't see what was remotely credible about Nissan's performance on its return to the top division of endurance racing.

The Nissan Motorsports team needed to convince the world — and presumably some besuited bosses high up at the company — that the concept behind the GT-R LM holds water. To do that, the Nissan Motorsports team would have been better served by trying to get a decent lap time out of at least one of the cars.

Had a Nissan lapped close to the pace of one of the AER-engined Rebellion R-Ones, the best of the small band of privateer LMP1s at Le Mans this year, it would have provided some kind of validation of designer Ben Bowlby's ideas, at least the aerodynamic ones.

You might think that a manufacturer should be beating an independent every day of the week, but it is not quite simple as that in the brave new world of fuel-formula LMP1 racing.

A decent non-hybrid P1 should be faster than a factory car that was running, as Nissan has now admitted, without its energy-retrieval system engaged. That's just physics: non-hybrid privateers run at a lower minimum weight — 850kg compared with 870kg — and get a larger fuel allocation each lap.

There is a school of thought that the GT-R LM hit some kind of wall last weekend and just wouldn't go much below the eventual best for the car, a 3m35.888s set by Harry Tincknell. But I'm inclined to believe Nissan motorsport boss Darren Cox's assertion that there was more time in the car had the drivers not been directed to stay off the kerbs in the pursuit of a finish. TV pictures backed it up.

But why not split the strategies to try to achieve both its reliability and performance targets?

If I were wearing Cox's (untucked) shirt, I'd have told Oli Pla, Tincknell or whoever to get out there and rag the thing in the pursuit of a sub-3m30s lap time. Everyone knows that there is oodles of time to be made up around the Circuit de la Sarthe by monstering the kerbs.

Cox has admitted that the GT-R LM had some kind of suspension problem last weekend. The #23 car shared by Pla, Jann Mardenborough and Max Chilton did retire with a suspension issue late on in the race, though Nissan hasn't gone into specifics.

Surely Nissan was being too conservative. Which is strange for a manufacturer that went radical in the drawing office. Or perhaps it was just too fixated on getting a car to the finish. Or maybe there were some kind of safety concerns that led to the call to stay away from the kerbs.

I can't possibly know what was going on in the minds of Cox and Bowlby (who is also, strangely, team principal as well as technical director of the Nissan Motorsports squad) last week. What I do know is that Nissan's performance was a disaster by every measure but its own.

The #22 car, shared by Tincknell, Michael Krumm and Alex Buncombe, might have taken the chequered flag, but over the course of the race it spent nearly eight hours in the pits. That's one third of the race in case your maths is as bad as mine.

Even so, I believe that Nissan was right to be at Le Mans this year, even if it was woefully underprepared. Withdrawing the cars would have been a political disaster for the company, and Cox is right when he says that it was a worthwhile exercise in gathering data ahead of next year.

You might think it's prescient of Nissan to start talking about 2016 following such a dismal showing. But Cox insists that his bosses remain on-side and is still talking about being "right up the front battling with the Germans" next season.

It would be a leap of faith to take him at his word, but Nissan should be able to find seconds by the bucketload if the GT-R LM returns — and returns in the form in which it was conceived.

The Nissan programme began to unravel the moment it became clear that it couldn't run the rear deployment system for the kinetic energy it retrieved from the front axle. (The rear set-up didn't work on the dyno.) Not only did that rob the car of eight megajoules of retrieved energy per lap, but it had a domino effect on successive areas of the car.

Reduced energy retrieval forced a switch to bigger brake discs at the front. That meant a switch to conventional 18-inch wheels rather than 16-inch rims that allowed for the high-profile tyre with which the car was conceived.

The move was made late enough for Nissan to be unable to develop a bespoke tyre together with Michelin. That ensured that it had to run on the rubber developed for its rivals rather than tyres designed specifically for the needs of front-wheel drive.

One unconfirmed story is that the GT-R LMs have, at least at some point, run an Audi rear on the front. It is also understood that Michelin took a conservative line on tyre pressures, forcing Nissan to run far higher than required for optimum grip and life.

My hope is that Nissan will be able to put the jigsaw back together, which all hinges on getting the hybrid boost to the back wheels.

That in itself will provide a massive gain in lap time that Cox claims is worth four seconds a lap at Le Mans, presuming it can achieve the 8MJ maximum.

A proper tyre developed for the car will yield enormous gains as well. Plus there is the benefit of being able to use the kerbs. Factor in some natural development, and you might get to a total of a dozen seconds or more.

So I hope you can understand that as abject as Nissan's performance was this year, there were reasons for it. And the same reasoning suggests that it can be much more competitive at Le Mans next year.

That is, of course, presuming there is a next year. I cannot be sure that the GT-R LM achieved enough for the project to continue into a second season. But I am sure that some halfway-decent lap times would have given Nissan a better chance of coming back than a "finish" and some spurious headlines.

Interesting read on the Nissan's. They didn't have the right tyres built specifically for the car and the drivers had to stay off the kerbs. Be interesting to see how much time they'd gain running tyres specific to the car and the hybrid system to the rear wheels.

That is: http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... ccomplish/

ps. Protip: A+ articles can be often googled just by putting a full sentence from the introduction into google with quotes. I weird Japanese site posts most of them in full, I doubt they have authorization to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:17 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Loved being at the event for the first time. Great race and throughly enjoyed it. Pleased the #19 won.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1601 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81 Next