TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9049 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78453 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dicksplash wrote:
Sebring and PLM, what else?

I meant more like "Sebring and Interlagos"... I dunno but there just have been a lot of speculation about PLM at ten-tenths.com for example.

Three continents is the requirement for World Championship, that is already covered, so at least they don't need South America because of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There's been a lot of talk of adding a South American round, however, so I wouldn't necessarily be surprised. They have mentioned that this year's calendar will serve as a "base" for next year's, but the added complications of not being able to piggyback the LMS events makes things slightly more difficult.

Sebring will almost certainly be included. Petit is a possibility, though given the size of the track and the number of cars that are already taking part this year (expected to exceed the maximum number of cars the circuit has been homologated for), I can see why they'd steer away from Petit next year.

The other possibility is regaining the sanction for the Mil Milhas at Interlagos, as they did in 2007. Of course, they had a poor grid that year and ultimately it was a pretty poor event, but if they can get 35 cars or so subscribed for the WEC next year it would make it worth it. Similar length to Petit obviously and, though it seems to have fallen out of establishment recently, it could be reinstated. IMO, the ideal location would be Portrero de los Funes - it's a great track and in a much better area overall than Interlagos (though that's not saying much when you're talking about Sao Paulo). Perhaps a joint weekend with the GT Championship?

As for what's up in Europe, trying to avoid the established LMS events, who knows? I'm sure the LMS isn't going to give up Spa and Silverstone if they can avoid it, and two Le Mans-style races at the same track would never fly. Spa would be ideal as it's the last race leading up to Le Mans, and all the factory squads show up there every year anyway, but I'm sure the LMS isn't letting go of that one. The alternatives for the WEC? Monza's a pretty hot commodity, and a place where sportscars belong. WEC would do well to ink an event there, especially trying to avoid the LMS locations. Perhaps the Nurburgring, though that event struggled for some time. Events in Spain and Portugal haven't done well either, unfortunately, and the last thing we need is a race at another shitty Spanish track.

The other consideration is that the LMS gives up one of its dates to the WEC in favor of going somewhere like Red Bull Ring, leaving one of the established LMS tracks to the WEC. Not sure I really see that happening, as apart from Imola they're holding pretty tightly to Spa and Silverstone, and a race at Imola and Monza each wouldn't work. Mostly just thinking out loud here...

As for the Delta Wing, I have mixed feelings. Le Mans has long been about new technologies, there is no question, and from that perspective the DeltaWing ticks a box or two. First, the car is hideous. Really, properly ugly. Second, I really hate to see the car divert attention away from what's going on during the actual race. Le Mans is a classic and has my heart, and the last thing I want to see is an unclassified car stealing the headlines.

But what bothers me most about this is that it is ultimately about relevance. Le Mans is pretty unique in the world of racing, in that it is one of the few places where manufacturer involvement and development leads directly to road car technology - it's more than just a manufacturer sales pitch or money-maker through the means of customer program. LMPs have open enough regulations that the manufacturers are able to kill two birds with one stone - first, innovate. Be creative and clever and ultimately build a winning package as a result. Second, build a platform that showcases your technology and innovation, as particularly Audi has done over the years. That technology, applied to an already impressive package, will ultimately win you the race and sell your road cars.

Of course, privateers are involved too and for them the race is just a race, but they all contribute to overall innovation, often pushing the manufacturers to the next step. From that perspective the DeltaWing makes some sense, in theory. It's new and radical and no doubt will get the manufacturers thinking.

But where is the direct road car translation? That car is a bespoke racecar, an exercise of the mind only with ultimately no direct correlation to a road car. I understand that it is a "new technology," but what's the purpose of it? It's not in competition with anyone else, it hasn't got any real-life applications, and it's no doubt going to take away from the publicity otherwise destined for manufacturers and the race itself. We're not going to see anything this car has to offer on the road anytime soon, it's clear.

My last issue with this are the specs... 72.5% rearward weight? In a set of regulations where it's all about efficiency and maximizing aero and grip, they're going to run themselves handicapped with that much weight at the rear? Of course the "scrubbing moment" at the front is so low, it hasn't got any fucking tyres.

Additionally, with Dan Gurney on the case for actually building the car, what are the chances this thing ever actually turns a wheel? Just a thought.

I just feel like this is a Bowlby ego flex, and it's a damn shame he's got everyone so caught up in it. It's just not going to fly in the long run.

My final, final point about this is that the world has become about "going green." I don't have a problem with that, and it genuinely does excite me to see things changing and to see Le Mans involved. But ultimately this isn't really about "reducing" our dependence on oil as much as it could be eliminating it. Cutting the horsepower by about 40% is good but ultimately I don't think it ticks the boxes necessary to call it "technologically innovative," and that comes back to producing a relevant platform whose technology makes it back onto the streets. Hybrids are nigh in this form of racing, and we're just going to put this thing on track instead? Where's the technology in chopping a few hundred pounds off a car?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:07 pm 

I may have missed this. But you are saying it's either going to be a LMS event or a WEC event. Is it already confirmed that these will be standalone races. Unlike this year when an event can both be LMS and ILMC. Because that would be a real shame. I can only see entry lists decreasing as obviously there is no need for LMS teams to run Spa when it's not included in the LMS championship.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maybe LMS should drop LMP1 in the long run. Since it aleady wants to be the place for privateers and gentlemen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.lemanslive.com/en/24h-mans/2 ... onference/
Quote:
On another subject, Vincent Beaumesnil, the ACO’s Sporting Director, announced the names of the three projects that have been selected for the so-called “56th Garage” which will be set aside at next year’s race for cars featuring alternative technologies. The pre-selected teams are DeltaWing Project 56 (see separate story), the GreenGT LMP-H2 hydrogen-powered car and the Courage all-electric prototype.

So they decide later which one of them actually gets the spot...?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Great catch there deggis, I'd missed that. So all three are still in the running and will be announced later... Good news, then, as I think the other two cars have better potential...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:25 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Thank god for that.

And of those, I'd rather have the hydrogen powered GreenGT LMP-H2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Apparently it's basically a reserve list... the order is 1. DeltaWing 2. GreenGT 3. Courage

So lets hope it can't make it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:58 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Given that the DeltaWing will fail spectacularly at it's first test session when they realise it doesn't corner, that's not too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

deggis wrote:
Apparently it's basically a reserve list... the order is 1. DeltaWing 2. GreenGT 3. Courage

Nope... The 56th entry will be one of those cars... 55 Normal, homologated chassis, and one of those three.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh good, DeltaWang is going no where near a track.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:57 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Brendan Kaczmarek wrote:
deggis wrote:

Nope... The 56th entry will be one of those cars... 55 Normal, homologated chassis, and one of those three.

Speed:

Quote:
While today’s announcement of Project 56, the DeltaWing project to be run by Highcroft Racing, has a confirmed entry to next year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, the ACO has selected two reserve entrants for the 56th pit should the program not meet the expectations of the organizers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We all know it won't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

http://twitter.com/#!/highcroftracing/s ... 2958075905

Highcroft says they have it in writing from the ACO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

@ ten-tenths.com forum:
Quote:
Did I hear that right from Hindy on Eurosport, Nissan P1 coupe built by ORECA is due, possibly even tested already!

Quote:
Todays Autosport says Nissan are looking to expand their international motorsport activities, Nismo's Shoichi Miyatani would not comment about a P1 engine program.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

GreenGT is fucking sexy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:55 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

deggis wrote:
@ ten-tenths.com forum:
Quote:
Did I hear that right from Hindy on Eurosport, Nissan P1 coupe built by ORECA is due, possibly even tested already!

Quote:
Todays Autosport says Nissan are looking to expand their international motorsport activities, Nismo's Shoichi Miyatani would not comment about a P1 engine program.

Oreca has long wanted in with a manufacturer...

To that end, they've designed (not sure about built) their Oreca 02 Coupe, and obviously they have the P2 linkup with the NISMO engine and Oreca chassis for Signatech, a factory supported squad. Wouldn't be surprised...

Though with that said, as I recall Oreca had a 3 year technical agreement with Peugeot, did they not?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:20 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

hedgey666 wrote:
Good gawd.

I have just seen the footage of the crash. Definitely the fault of the Lola driver...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is there a link to see the video ? :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:00 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Well every eye-witness report disagrees, so I'd rather see video of that to judge.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9049 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78453 Next