TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1499 Next

Vainqueur des 24H du Mans 2014?
Poll ended at Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:52 pm
Audi 38%  38%  [ 26 ]
Toyota 34%  34%  [ 23 ]
Porsche 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Rebellion 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Nissan (kneel before) ZEOD 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 68
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:25 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Errr, right.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:44 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Bummer they removed the karting pit complex. That was a great vantage point.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=31803

Mulsanne-Indianapolis is unscathed this year, but I think replacing the grass with tarmac there is a big mistake. Will not make it safer. Will instead provoke more bonkers moves and shuffling into the barriers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:25 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

I've got one exam at 2PM on Saturday that runs until 5PM max, which means that I'll miss at least 2 hours of the race which I'll have to catch up quickly. After that, my plan is to get through it all, for the first time ever I don't have anything to worry about after the race 8)

dicksplaash wrote:

Some bad crashes there though, nearly every single year. I don't mind that they added gravel there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Exams on Saturday, I thought my Uni sucked :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:00 pm 

Second time I have one during the start. I can't complain though, rather on Saturday at 2PM than on Monday at 9AM :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:48 pm 

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/1 ... at-le-mans

lol wut?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:02 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

dicksplaash wrote:
http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/104152-lotus-lmp1-to-be-unveiled-at-le-mans

lol wut?

I guess they'll need a lot of green screen to try and super impose a CG car onto a real life track ;)

Scotty wrote:
Can I assume there will be a Skype conversation running? Being an antipodean I will be awake while the die-hards are pushing through the night.

Yes.

And that weekend I'll have no work, a house to myself and a new 24 Hour tesco to help get me through the weekend.

Bring it on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I will be present in the chat.

dicksplaash wrote:
http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/104152-lotus-lmp1-to-be-unveiled-at-le-mans

lol wut?

LMAO Kolles always pops up when you think you won't see him again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
Quote:
How many young drivers competing in feeder series have set their number 1 goal in life to win the Le Mans 24 hour? Might be goal 3 or 4, but not 1.

Drivers in GT feeder series? Countless. That only works if you count single seaters and ignore all of the GT classes.

Depends if he meant overall win, if we assume so since we are talking about Webber who is in LMP1, I doubt any of the current factory drivers did have it as their #1 goal, as all of them started the usual way through karting and low-level single-seaters. I'd also guess majority of the better half of current GT drivers did too. I don't see the GT classes really forming a feeder ladder at all, they just more like co-exist. And if anything, the current prototype (pun intended & meaning in non-motorsports there is this term "prototype player", meaning an ideal one) for a new LMP1 driver but one that is not coming from F1 seems to be someone who has mainly single-seater background and gets some seasoning in LMPs (including test role), essentially skipping GTs altogether.

What makes Webber different to any other recent ex-F1 driver at Le Mans is that he left when he was at the top and mostly left on his own terms. I think this is bigger difference than career stats.

I think you are yourself blowing this Webber-mania a bit out of proportions, other than the lame poster (just continuation of lame, amateurish posters for several years now) and this ad, I've not seen much of Webber at all. Even race interviews seem to have been rare. And this promo was Eurosport's, not ACO's, altough obviously they work together. Generally I don't see what's wrong with highlighting him since he is a racing driver, and not a footballer or an actor.

Last edited by deggis on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
Le Mans 2012 - no marketing except for the DeltaWing and how it was going to equal P1 speeds and reset racing. It turned up and was crap, viewing figures dropped. When it finally retired, they dropped massively. Great way of quite literally, getting people to turn off the TV.

Did you not mean that literally or have you seen hour-by-hour tv ratings? Link?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dicksplaash wrote:

Mulsanne-Indianapolis is unscathed this year, but I think replacing the grass with tarmac there is a big mistake. Will not make it safer. Will instead provoke more bonkers moves and shuffling into the barriers.

I'm almost thinking that's what the LMP drivers want, more space to pass... that's what they already do on the Mulsanne straights. I can't fathom how does that make any difference safety-wise because for tarmac run-off to be really effective it needs a lot of space, and couple of meters is not a lot. Maybe could avoid some situations where car spins because grass means no grip. That will make the part of the track look visually quite different.

Instead, how about replacing those knee-high 1970s armcos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:47 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

deggis wrote:
ellis wrote:
Le Mans 2012 - no marketing except for the DeltaWing and how it was going to equal P1 speeds and reset racing. It turned up and was crap, viewing figures dropped. When it finally retired, they dropped massively. Great way of quite literally, getting people to turn off the TV.

Did you not mean that literally or have you seen hour-by-hour tv ratings? Link?

Radio Le Mans talked about the exact figures on one of the broadcasts following Le Mans. It always stuck in my head as a terrible thing, despite Nissan talking about how amazing it was. 2012 was quite a terrible year at the circuit if you didn't buy into the hype and BS because there was DeltaWing crap EVERYWHERE, with a lot of people sniggering and shaking heads. It was billed as a success because people watched. Nobody liked to talk about how many stopped watching because it was a one-trick pony.

Quote:
Corvette Corner now has an extensive gravel trap in the area previously occupied by the pit complex for the now replaced Karting track.

I'm not 100% sure all of the pit complex for the karting circuit has been removed. There was a new pit complex for it built recently when the kart circuit was updated - I don't imagine that's been torn down. But the old one has certainly gone. So hopefully you can still get on the new one if it's there, because it's a beautiful vantage point.

I tend to agree that it isn't really a huge safety improvement there. however at least there is now lines of tyres at various points around the circuit where there should have been before.

I also agree with deggis, that the circuit armco is currently a joke. Buckles under tiny impacts and causes 3 hour safety cars. Whilst I think the Code 60 is a great way of avoiding it (and should be utilised unless it's completely unsafe to do so), that's a work-around to a problem that should be solved.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Has there been any changes to the part of the track where Simonsen was killed last year? Or is this what you guys are talking about now?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:19 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
Has there been any changes to the part of the track where Simonsen was killed last year? Or is this what you guys are talking about now?

There has been, but that's not the bit we're discussing.

The barriers at Allans accident point have been changed in a few ways. The first part (which he didn't hit) has been extended down, meaning theres less of an angle to hit. The bit Allan did hit has been moved away from the trees by 1.5m and 2 rows of tyres added for the first 50m or so then 1 row of tyres after that. It's also been resurfaced.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:05 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Ford Chicane kerb has been removed again.

Terrible terrible idea removing that kerb. Without it, it becomes pot luck who gets a penalty for cheating and who doesn't. And the P2 drivers liked the kerb because with the old setup the GT cars took the corner in a higher gear and drove off down the straight. This change put the GTs on the same layout as the Prototypes, so the P2s could pass down the straight.

Hopefully it'll go back in for race weekend, because otherwise it's going to be stupid watching random cars getting track limit penalties and the GTs driving away from P2s because of the momentum carried.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:20 am 

Did they get complaints? I think I only saw positive responses to that kerb.

Last edited by StanV on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

When you've got hectares of tarmac on the inside of the kerbing, drivers are gonna use as much as possible. The high kerb prevented that.

Maybe they should just put grass there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StanV wrote:
Did they get complaints? I think I only saw positive responses to that kerb.

Dont think Porsche was happy with it, they had to build a complete new car after that jump.

But yeah agree it it terrible removing it again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:08 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

But the Porsche never jumped over the kerb.

The kerb was on the right hand apex of the SECOND part of the Ford chicane. There is no grass there. Porsche flew over the right hand apex of the FIRST part of the Ford Chicane.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:26 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty. Check this shot of the Rebellion.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1499 Next