TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1399 Next

Vainqueur des 24H du Mans 2014?
Poll ended at Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:52 pm
Audi 38%  38%  [ 26 ]
Toyota 34%  34%  [ 23 ]
Porsche 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Rebellion 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Nissan (kneel before) ZEOD 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 68
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LMAO Aston Martin has 10kg of fuel more than Corvette and Ferrari. I became a fan because of the F550 and DBR9 but seriously their efforts since the AMR-One are pathetic. The only way they can keep up is because of the BOP and half of their cars is filled by pay drivers.

Quote:
Aston Martin believes Le Mans 24 Hours fuel break was critical

Aston Martin believes it would have had little chance of winning its class at the Le Mans 24 Hours without the increase in fuel capacity it has been granted.

The Vantage GTE has regained the five litres of fuel capacity that it lost before last October's World Endurance Championship event at Fuji in the latest round of Balance of Performance changes.

The change, which means the Vantages in GTE Pro and Am will now run with 95-litre fuel tanks, comes after the Astons were forced to make an additional splash-and-dash fuel stop in the Spa round of the WEC round last month.

Team boss John Gaw told AUTOSPORT: "This is critical. If we didn't get the five litres back we would be doing 13 laps and with it we should just be able to do 14.

"If we were losing a lap to the opposition every stint we would be a lap down by the finish."

Vincent Beaumesnil, sporting manager at race organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, explained that it was "important to make sure all the cars have the same stint length".

Ferrari has been allowed to introduce a new version of its Le Mans aero package for this year, despite the rules freeze that covers the 2014 season.

The new aero offers more downforce for little more drag and can be fitted to the marque's 458 Italias competing in both the Pro and Am classes, although not all the Am teams have chosen to invest in the update kit.

Chevrolet's new Corvette C7.R will race at Le Mans on June 14/15 at a different BoP to its C6.R predecessor: the 2014 car will run 10kg lighter, has a 1.3mm larger air-restrictor and does not have to race with the rear wing Gurney or wicker.

The Corvette, which unlike its predecessor runs a direct-injection engine, has lost five litres in fuel tank size and will run at the same 85-litre capacity as the Ferrari.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114255

Hope new Astons will get them to race on own merit in the future because this is starting to get annoying (saying this as a fan...).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StanV wrote:
The site I always use (http://www.wetter.com/wetter_aktuell/we ... =FR0PL0146) predicts thunderstorms for all the practices/qualifying, but sunny and a healthy 20°C for the race.

Lets remember that forecasts that far can't be accurate, and in terms of "rain or no rain" total crapshoot at this point :roll: I always wonder why these weather sites even bother generating 1-2 week forecasts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:38 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Yeah, but we shouldn't be expecting a heat wave. :p Out of experience they are pretty decent in accuracy, but of course everything can move back or forwards 1 or 2 days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:07 pm 

ellis wrote:
They were 30km/h faster down mulsanne on the in laps than they were on the fast laps. .

Do you know the speeds recorded? I mean, 300kmh vs 330kmh or what?

Fish88 wrote:
I think Toyota really could win this thing, if they had 3 cars.

You can quote me on this after the race. I bet they will lose out with 2 cars (problems, crashing) and an Audi will walk away with it.

I think the same and that the same thing will happen to Porsche. Then, the win will fall into Albuquerque and Bonanomi :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:45 pm 

Audi wants to win, of course, but I don't think anybody would call it a 'bad year' if they just get a podium, simply because they've won so much and the fact that the general consensus is that the competition by two other manufacturers is tough.
Porsche wants to win, of course, but they're new so they don't have to do anything apart from trying to get as far as they can. If they fail, nobody would call it a 'bad year' either (unless they do a JLOC/AMR-One).
Anything but a win is failure for Toyota, however, so I agree with the earlier as well. Either they win, or they both end up in the DNF-list. They're going to be pushing like hell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

...and then it went Dempsey.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dempsey is like the Danica Patrick of endurance racing. Only more likable though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good article and summary of the BoP in P1 so far: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issn=0961-1096&o=ext

From page 8, since you have 3 free zooms, skip the last page or use incognito mode.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:50 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

deggis wrote:

...and then it went Dempsey.

Frankly, the utter wank-fest that is the Mark Webber concentration is even worse. He's being talked about so much that one of the posters for a WEC race was just essentially a big picture of his arse. Here theres an advert for Le Mans, and there's no mention of Tom Kristensen, or the even the GT Classes. Just Dempsey, Webber and a footballer. You'd be forgiven for not knowing there was an actual race this year, and it was just a big Mark Webber celebration. Poor Nick Heidfeld must be sitting thinking "He achieved as much as me...why does nobody care about me?!"

Regarding the regulations, the FIA have revised the front skid block deflection rules

Quote:
Regarding the front part skid-block, we have observed during scrutineering that each of your cars had some flexibility in
order to prevent any damaging of the underside of cockpit in case of unwanted passage out of track or on kerbs.

Formally speaking this contravenes article 3.4 of the LMP1 regulations. However as it seems indispensable and used by all of you,
we agree not to apply strictly this article for this specific part. In order to be fair to everybody, we will accept a flexibility in that point
of: 10 mm under 500 daN. To be absolutely clear, we make it mandatory to have a stop effect and that this deflection cannot
under no circumstances be more than 15 mm.

However this does not apply to Porsches rear bodywork, and the statement also says:

Quote:
The FIA reserves the right to introduce load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or
is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion.
Among other criteria, the FIA will consider the linearity of the load/deflection curve over the elastic deformation
area.
Any non-linearity must be only on the plastic deformation area.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:56 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Possibly a stretch to Heidfeld, yes, however I think my point does stand in that nothing here is in proportion. Villeneuve is a significantly larger name than Webber, and we didn't get shots of his arse on posters, or adverts featuring him, a generic actor and a footballer. It's ridiculous the amount of exposure Webber is getting - they're giving him more attention than the actual event now.

Bourdais, whilst not as big a name in motorsport, should've been worth more than Webbers. Born in Le Mans, went to America, dominated, then local boy returns to drive for the national team and slay the evil Germans. The only thing missing was a shot of his arse on the posters. Mansell...well, you're spot on the money - was just a lot of pish. And of course we had Sebastien Loeb - a name which holds a lot of weight in France, and then we had Colin McRae at the same time as him.

However "the most decorated drive to be in the running for a Le Mans title":

Tom K - 9 wins
Fassler - 2 wins
Lotterrer - 2 wins
Treluyer - 2 wins
Wurz - 2 wins

Well, everybody would argue all day about what's worth more - a handful of F1 race wins, or a couple of Le Mans wins. But at the end of the day, when you sit your arse down in an LMP and fire up the engine for the start of the 24 hours, your F1 wins, F1 Championships and Indy 500 wins mean less than zero. You're at Le Mans. And these guys have achieved more.

We could all rant about Dempsey, but I think we're all in agreement. He's an actor who wants to race. Fine, do that. But the exposure he's getting is unfair. And Bartez? Well, this may seem harsh..but who gives even the slightest fuck? I mean really.

I want more talk about the epic battle of 3 manufacturers, the awesomely strong P2 field, the massive GT field, and the rumors of more manufacturers coming. This is shaping up to be one of the most well contest Le Mans in decades, and we're watching an advert concentrating on 3 of the 170 drivers, 2 of which are completely insignificant GT drivers? Kinda rains on the parade, and achievements, of the other drivers who are entering. Same deal with Nissan really - all the attention on them, more so than the race itself, for one car.

This post may sound harsh, but at the end of the day this is just what IndyCar used to do with Danica Patrick. Rather than say "Come watch the Indy 500, it's awesome!" they say "Come see how Danica Patrick will do in the Indy 500!" Le Mans and WEC needs to promote itself, rather than relying on a couple of names that will not be there in a few years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:49 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Great shot showing the airflow through the LM spec Audi. Can be presumed the other 2 cars are the same idea. Shows how little there is down there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:11 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Quote:
Post does sound harsh, because it proves you have no clue when it comes to marketing an event.

Disagreed. IndyCar and Le Mans are perfect examples to prove my point.

IndyCar - concentrate on Danica Patrick. Shit..she's not there anymore. Now nobody cares. The event cannot stand on it's own feet because for years it was the Danica show. Only a few years later is it now recovering.

Le Mans 2012 - no marketing except for the DeltaWing and how it was going to equal P1 speeds and reset racing. It turned up and was crap, viewing figures dropped. When it finally retired, they dropped massively. Great way of quite literally, getting people to turn off the TV.

Quote:
So you're saying Tom Kristensen has achieved more in his career than Michael Schumacher? Alan McNish has achieved more than Juan Manuel Fangio? Frank Biela has achieved more than Alain Prost or Ayrton Senna?

Nope (although I see how it can read that way with how I worded it). I'm saying that at Le Mans, they've achieved more. You said "the most decorated drive to be in the running for a Le Mans title". I'd say that 9 Le Mans wins is worth more than a handful of F1 race wins.

AND, as I said, Villeneuve, Bourdais, McRae, Loeb never got anything like this coverage. And I'll disagree fundamentally on the football comment. Football fans will not watch motor racing because a football name is in it. They built an entire series around this concept, and it nose dived into the ground like a plane made of granite. Crossing 2 sports that are fundamentally different and expecting both sides to care doesn't work, and never has. We have olympic gold medalist Chris Hoy racing for Nissan soon, and he was a fucking *hero* in the UK press. But here...nobody cares he's racing a car. It's a tiny newspaper clipping to fill a gap, and that's it. You can't name an ex Manchester United Footballer in a motorsport advert and expect even 20 people to suddenly tune in.

Quote:
How many young drivers competing in feeder series have set their number 1 goal in life to win the Le Mans 24 hour? Might be goal 3 or 4, but not 1.

Drivers in GT feeder series? Countless. That only works if you count single seaters and ignore all of the GT classes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:12 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
Got a photo of the floor plan? Probably confidential, but I'm doing CFD studies on underbody aero. Also, a photo from the front would be great.

That shot was taken from this article.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/audi-lmp14/

It has updates from the first appearence right up to test day, so it's completely up to date. No floor pan shot yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:15 am 

I agree with your points, ellis, but I'm afraid that they are actually doing a good job in marketing the event. Le Mans addicts come over and watch the race anyway, they don't need a TV-clip or a poster to get interested. Everyone else does. They are also using a famous (apparently) comedian on their Youtube-channel to explain the different technical and sporting regulations in a newbie fashion.

The fact that viewing figures dropped after the DeltaWing retired actually shows that they succeeded in getting more people to watch the lucrative first hours. They wouldn't have been there if not for whatever big 'innovative' headline they saw in a (TV) ad.

Last edited by StanV on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:22 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

The race is going to be great, huh fella's?

After all, it's just an ad. It won't matter for 5 minutes. Le Mans is Le Mans and will advertise itself. It's a grand party, even if you don't like racing that much. Go there and see the spectacle for yourself; during the night it's both a depressing and awe-inspring spectacle at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:27 am 

It's definitely going to be great, since we're already a couple of pages further than where the track action started in 2013 :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can't wait, got Saturday off work to watch and have FS1 and FS2 so will be up at 8.30am local time to watch it all the way through. Then go to work on Sunday which will be interesting, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:47 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

I will try to make the 24 hours this time. There will be World Cup football to help me :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:49 pm 

Fabs wrote:
There will be World Cup football to help me :p

wat is that

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dicksplaash wrote:
Fabs wrote:
There will be World Cup football to help me :p

wat is that

A kind of Brazilian riot apparently.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1963 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1399 Next