TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous 145 46 47 48 49 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

racer612008 wrote:
pending wrote:
Not trying to be a cock here, but was Chilton in this race? I thought he qualified.

yes, ran a pretty quiet race. Finishing 15th

there was also no DNQ's

Yes I know, lol. I find it amazing how he can be anonymous and will still eventually make a case about it.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:11 pm 

gkmotorsport wrote:
Small importance now, but does anyone know what happened to Pippa Mann? She was 10th at one point - fuel?

Bingo, stopped near the end for fuel.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:25 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

First American rookie winner since 1927! (George Souders)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pending wrote:
Not trying to be a cock here, but was Chilton in this race? I thought he qualified.

Not trying to be a cock here, but who?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can't say I saw this one coming. I was at work, so I missed the race. When I saw on my phone who won, I was very surprised to see that Alexander Rossi won. This might be one of the most surprising Indy wins I can remember.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:39 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

What an amazing experience, I'll never forget it :) :flag:

I booed every time Chilton was mentioned the 3 days I was at the track :whistling:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:13 am 
Head Muppet

I was at the track this morning at 2:15. I went into the media center just after 6:00 and left around 7:30 at night. Holy hell what a day. Holy hell what a week. Went to four different race tracks and saw seven races run between Thursday and Sunday.

Wouldn't have changed anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bryan Clauson competed his double with a victory at Kokomo Speedway last night in the Sprint Car feature after finishing 23rd in the 500

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:00 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

What a race. Had a great time, ending certainly threw everyone for a loop.
So glad to be able to attend, they really have a brilliantly organised event.

Hope to be back sometime in the future.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Enjoyed it!

But I don't remember the 500 being so hard to follow? This may have something to do with me watching the world feed with clueless French commentators, but I'd have loved some more overlays. It should be systematic to show the driver's name whenever there's an onboard, or an incident, and director seemed unnecessarily cheap and lazy on those.

There should be more infographics showing who fuelled since which lap when it mattered, at least for the leaders. Even F1 does it perfectly nowadays with the tyre changes and tyre type. If Indycar wants to conquer the world, they ought to make that extra effort for worldwide viewers.

Also, cautions seemed longer than usual even for the tamest of incidents, was that for TV ads which I suspect were a big deal in the US for this event?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:20 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Interesting story.
http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/05/05-30-Rossi-Indy-500-winner-follow

Quote:
There may also have been a bit of divine guidance involved. Andretti and Bryan Herta are co-owners of the Andretti Herta Autosport with Curb-Agajanian car Rossi drove to Victory Circle. The late Dan Wheldon won the Indy 500 for Andretti on May 29, 2005; he won it again driving for Herta on May 29, 2011.

Rossi won on May 29, 2016, driving the same No. 98 Wheldon rode to victory five years ago when another rookie – JR Hildebrand – nearly won the race by going the final 36 laps on a tank of fuel, until Hildebrand crashed exiting Turn 4 on the last lap.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
thankfully we don't have a race at Las Vegas to end the season

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:23 am 

coldtyre wrote:
But I don't remember the 500 being so hard to follow? This may have something to do with me watching the world feed with clueless French commentators, but I'd have loved some more overlays. It should be systematic to show the driver's name whenever there's an onboard, or an incident, and director seemed unnecessarily cheap and lazy on those.

Some of it might be the host feed network (ABC), which these days doesn't have great directing in my opinion (too much focus on the leaders, sloppiness on handling action beyond say the top 6). There's definitely a noticeable improvement to me when the coverage switches to NBCSN.

The 500's always been an ABC thing, and from what I remember ABC used to do a pretty decent job directing (aside from over-obligatory human interest shots of nervous wives etc.) back in the Paul Page / Bobby Unser / Sam Posey days. Probably even during the Jim McKay / Jackie Stewart days too, although my memory is a bit fuzzier there.

These days I kind of think ABC's on autopilot, whereas the new guys with a new-ish cable network to promote (NBCSN) do a much better job with announcers (Diffey / Tracy / Matchett > Bestwick / Goodyear / Cheever IMHO) and directing and the overall package in general.

I think some of the lengthy caution time you see in Indycar recently is for clearing the track of marbles (granted for the 500 some of it might be for the huge abundance of commercials there too :whistling: )

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:24 am 

The Montoya caution was waved off due to a little rain.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

electrodevo wrote:
coldtyre wrote:

Some of it might be the host feed network (ABC), which these days doesn't have great directing in my opinion (too much focus on the leaders, sloppiness on handling action beyond say the top 6). There's definitely a noticeable improvement to me when the coverage switches to NBCSN.

The 500's always been an ABC thing, and from what I remember ABC used to do a pretty decent job directing (aside from over-obligatory human interest shots of nervous wives etc.) back in the Paul Page / Bobby Unser / Sam Posey days. Probably even during the Jim McKay / Jackie Stewart days too, although my memory is a bit fuzzier there.

These days I kind of think ABC's on autopilot, whereas the new guys with a new-ish cable network to promote (NBCSN) do a much better job with announcers (Diffey / Tracy / Matchett > Bestwick / Goodyear / Cheever IMHO) and directing and the overall package in general.

I think some of the lengthy caution time you see in Indycar recently is for clearing the track of marbles (granted for the 500 some of it might be for the huge abundance of commercials there too :whistling: )

Thanks, now that you mention it I remember there was a truck cleaning the outside line at a corner that had nothing to do with the previous incident. Well, if it helps racing...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:11 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

So apparently the track was left just an absolute mess with trash EVERYWHERE it could possibly be put :/
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-trash ... 1779586064

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

you act like that doesnt happen at every single racetrack after ever professional event

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:17 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

sennadesillva wrote:
So apparently the track was left just an absolute mess with trash EVERYWHERE it could possibly be put :/
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-trash ... 1779586064

"We got a glimpse of the race’s “wild side” when we walked through the Indy 500 campgrounds. Between the famous “Coke Lot,” the rowdiest campsite in all the land, and the Snake Pit, a wild EDM dance fest in the infield, there’s lots of opportunity to partake in heavy drinking and just general shenanigans."

You all saw it during the race. The people in the Snake Pit are not there for the race.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:23 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Woodski wrote:
you act like that doesnt happen at every single racetrack after ever professional event

I don't know, Monza 2013 wasn't bad at all. Maybe an empty paper cup here and there, but nothing much. After the race people went to pick debris from the track and even removed the temporary adverts and track signs. Someone even took a small Finnish flag that fell off from my father's backbag. And once we made it back to the hotel after few bars, part of my memory was also cleaned. And it was a rather clean race after the first lap too! Same can't be said about Townsend Bell's driving on Sunday. As dirty as the Snake Pit itself. Let's call him Townsend "Snake Pit" Bell from now on.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Monza also didn't have 350,000+ people there.

Bell is a choade, always has been.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous 145 46 47 48 49 Next