TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 644 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The MSA is slowly killing racing just like tobacco slowly kills people. Of course, the humongous egos involved in racing haven't helped, either. Most every major series is coming up with new ways to fuck things up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here's the 1995 race from Toronto.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
good times when a PacWest won the championship

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The 1995 race at Portland. It's a great track, and a shame that no series competes there regularly anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

i miss portland, already 8 years since the last race there :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Honestly, I could read a book and listen to the engine sound of those cars in the backround

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Portland was traditionally held on Father's Day weekend, so here is the 1991 edition. Good racing back then...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
good times when a PacWest won the championship

If I see the top of Blundell's helmet correctly, this is a shot from Driven :metal:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes it is. Mark Blundell's helmet had MB on the top of it and that helmet has JB for Jimmy Bly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aka the only time PacWest won the championship, with a little help of Stallone and Hugo Stiglitz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:46 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ayrton Senna testing Emerson Fittipaldi's Penske at Firebird Raceway in 1992:

8)

Quote:
Senna: I think racing cars are like drugs in our blood and when I got really close I felt that very special feeling. They started the engines to warm up, and I remembered the time when we looked at Formula 1, and I think the virus has woken up inside me after being a little numb. Watching Emerson drive gives me a very strong feeling, And now, we’ve tested the car, although it’s a slow track because of technical characteristics and the car runs in a very particular way, but it feels really good.

Q: What do you think of his first test?

Fittipaldi: I’m very happy, for us it’s an historical day having Ayrton here having his first Formula Indy experience feeling, as he already said it’s important to feel and enjoy, and I think he liked it very much and I’m sure that soon he’ll be here with us, it’s just a matter of time.

Q: Is that true?

Senna: Yes, well, I think so. Before I tested an Indycar my expectations didn’t match with what the real thing is. One day I’m gonna win with this car, it’s just a matter of time. As he said, we have to wait for the right moment, for the right time to participate in the races here in the US.

Q: You mean nothing is defined for 1993?

Senna: Absolutely not. The fact that I came here does not mean that I have something already fixed for next year. We’re in a situation where I have to evaluate the alternatives in the matter of my own career and due to Formula 1’s difficulties, and Emerson’s “pressure” I came to check it out. I’m very happy I could experience how driving an Indycar feels even on a track like this because I have more data. So when I have to make a decision, being tomorrow or in 60 days, I’ll be able to make a better decision about the subject.

Q: You never hid the fact that Emerson is a great idol for you. The fact that you came here under his “supervision”, what do you think about that?

Senna: (laughs) It’s not just because he’s here with me, but Emerson is responsible for the dream, not only mine but lots of Brazilians who liked races and had the opportunity to evolve, I had a very privileged position because I could really see what Formula 1 was about. It was a dream for me and I got there relatively fast and could taste what F1 felt like and he’s greatly responsible for that because it was his time, when he was winning GPs and the championships and we, younger drivers, went with his flow. After all these years I think Emerson did an amazing job, got through hard times, built a new life here in the US, advertised Formula Indycar not only for Brazil but for many other countries, won the championship and made all of us interested in what Formula Indycar was really about.

I was in F1 and started to pay more attention and he has finally brought me here. I was in Brazil chilling out, thinking about a beach, a jet ski and here he brought me, to Phoenix in the middle of the desert! It’s all his fault!

Q: You are always opening doors, and now, brought Ayrton Senna to Phoenix but you have two F1 and one CART championships on your back, right?

Fittipaldi: I think it’s a very special day for me, I’m a big fan of Ayrton, I watch every single F1 race, thousands of Brazilians who are his fans follow his steps and so it was a very special day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:15 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

To me there's never been a better looking open wheel car than a late 90s Reynard in either players forsythe or havoline colours.

And yeah tobacco laws did almost as much damage to the sport as Tony george's ego.
There was a law passed in 2001 that a tobacco company could only advertise in one series in one country so Malboro told penske they wanted their product seen in the indy 500,
Now running the cart series and the 500 as a one off wasn't an option any more, off penske went in 2002, starting the defections from the one true pure and holy open wheel series to the evil heathens and turncoats in the underpowered shitty league*

*your perspective may vary

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

not only tobacco but the teams also had big support from breweries, communications companies (who broke after the internet bubble) and automotive industry

funny that the only sponsors that kept their support after all those years were Marlboro and Target (quite an achievement to have this kind of support for 20 years in such unfavourable conditions)

great taste

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:45 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Classic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:58 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Quote:

Fittipaldi: I’m very happy, for us it’s an historical day having Ayrton here having his first Formula Indy experience feeling, as he already said it’s important to feel and enjoy, and I think he liked it very much and I’m sure that soon he’ll be here with us, it’s just a matter of time.

Senna: Yes, well, I think so. Before I tested an Indycar my expectations didn’t match with what the real thing is. One day I’m gonna win with this car, it’s just a matter of time. As he said, we have to wait for the right moment, for the right time to participate in the races here in the US.

Senna: Absolutely not. The fact that I came here does not mean that I have something already fixed for next year. We’re in a situation where I have to evaluate the alternatives in the matter of my own career and due to Formula 1’s difficulties, and Emerson’s “pressure” I came to check it out. I’m very happy I could experience how driving an Indycar feels even on a track like this because I have more data. So when I have to make a decision, being tomorrow or in 60 days, I’ll be able to make a better decision about the subject.

goddammit Ayrton you made the wrong decision

you should have gone to IndyCar in 1993

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The 1994 Portland race. Mired in the middle of Penske's dominant season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Joe A wrote:
Quote:

Yeah or at least 1994. :(

I bet he would have won the 1995 championship with Penske even though it wasn't that great of a car. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ayrton would have walked the 1993 championship. 1994 would have been even easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:20 pm 

Senna v. Mansell/Tracy/Emmo/Al Jr/Mario/Michael/Boesel in 1993 and 1994 would have been incredible

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:39 am 
Head Muppet

Joe A wrote:
Quote:

And Unser Jr.'s contract with Galles was only good through the end of '93. You think Penske would've gone to four cars back then? I'm pretty sure of it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 644 Next