TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Exactly. I remember the threads for the first races of 2012, when people here were impressed with how strong the DW12 is, and how they could bump into each other and go on without anything breaking.

I'm now curious how the oval package will look like. Hopefully it will not increase the downforce dramatically, I really don't want us to go down that road again...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Suffered a fractured skull.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:04 am 
2012 F1 Pick-Ems champion

gkmotorsport wrote:
JPM has suggested that the drivers just need to get used to respecting the boundaries now that the cars can be broken. Verbatim:

"They're used to working with cars that [when] you bounce off people, nothing happens."

I think this is a very good point. How many other open-wheel series have multi-element front wings these days, and how often do drivers (who are more used to it) trip over each other so clumsily?

Problem with this is that the cars are too big and most of tracks too small so contact is almost inevitable. I think if you put these things on a Tilkedrome there'd be way less contact, but the racing would be less exciting. I love how it is now even if we have a few debris cautions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The worse in this car now is that big fat momma huge wing sidepod. So damn ugly. Besides that, it's weird but cool, as a good way to laugh, or fun because it looks like a transformer car.

I agree that the DW 12 is bad for the looks ever since that I saw that rear tyre protection and the wide sidepod. It killed the racing in Indy 500 for that fake shit, but not on other oval high speed tracks. I love Fontana, Texas and Pocono. Would probably like Kansas, Kentucky or any other.

Debri cautions will probably diminish as they get used to the car dimensions. But IDK, there are some Maldonado wannabes in the field, so we probably will keep them at some number, not to mention the ones caused by the crazy restarts.

Aero push still not a factor on this track, but it will be at a peak next race. Can't wait to see that one, for the effects of the new aero kit, and a new track, and a very fast one.

This year is starting to look like a very good one for me, as far as drivers championship. A battle with Power and Monty, with my contryman Castroneves and Kanaan as small underdogs.

Also, how long until other guys from Ganassi get up to speed. And why the Honda was behind - How much due to engine and how much due to the aero-kit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
It killed the racing in Indy 500 for that fake shit

my irony meter just straight up fucking exploded

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No, fucking shit, I know who will win because he is leading with 3 to go, so he will get passed with 2 to go and repass with 1 to go. Uhhhh, such a drivers track, that separates the man from the boy. FUCK DW12 (at Indy) Yeah, FUCK IT.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
No, fucking shit, I know who will win because he is leading with 3 to go, so he will get passed with 2 to go and repass with 1 to go. Uhhhh, such a drivers track, that separates the man from the boy. FUCK DW12 (at Indy) Yeah, FUCK IT.

That did pretty much happen last year, but I don't think that's an accurate description of the two previous races with the DW12. Still, one race out of three seems to be a good basis on which to form a judgement!

I'll take many more passes and debris over ridiculous airborne crashes any day...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:39 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Uhh this...

I'll take the racing the DW12 gives us because at least I can actually watch it without paranoidly half watching through my fingers expecting at any moment a giant, multiple airbourne crash to develop.

Stock cars might be able to survive the unfortunate consequences of pack racing, but open wheel cars have no business trying to emulate that.

The handford device was pushing it, but at least they weren't running around in one big wad unable to separate from each other.
The DW12 is more handford than pack racing and for that I'll be ever thankful.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:22 pm 

Never want to see that a Wheldon-like crash again :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tbh, I think we'll look back on things like the wheel guards like we now do with raised cockpit sides. People had semi-legitimate complaints about the looks, but I think we can all agree it was a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:10 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I hope not, I believe an open wheel formula should be purely open wheeled.

You can argue a case that they should run them in Oval spec and I'd agree with it, but in road and street courses it just pushes them more towards a sports car series. From the back these cars look stupid, not like an open wheel single seater at all.

And if you hit them hard enough they're next to useless anyway, we've seen enough of that by now too.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maybe the aesthetics can be worked ok, but I think the concept itself is sound. I certainly wouldn't want them to be more covered.

The thing is, you have to wonder how many of those incidents where the guards get smashed up would have previously resulted in a launched car.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:26 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
Maybe the aesthetics can be worked ok, but I think the concept itself is sound. I certainly wouldn't want them to be more covered.

The thing is, you have to wonder how many of those incidents where the guards get smashed up would have previously resulted in a launched car.

Query. Is it better to not run a wheel guard and have the driver launched into the air inside a car with all its safety features or have the wheel guard fly off in random directions potentially injuring innocent spectators who have paid to come see a race? (since that's what seemed to happen on Sunday...?)

I guess they can eventually work out the kinks to not compromise column a to favour column b, as it were, but...yeahh

Also I've not properly inspected the indy Lights car yet, does that have wheel guards too? :?

Twitter:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well they've got to be flimsy enough to break off in an accident. To be fair we've seen plenty stay on despite being hit. What happened on Sunday was just unfortunate, you can't just take them away just because of that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh, the SS like of the old Indy was bad also. I like the fast car to be able to pull away. Would love to see the DW-12 at \/egas. Or the old Indy car with less grip. They raced at Indy so well, I'm sure it could be done at other tracks with the right tyre-aero combination. No, that pack racing was even worse, that I agree.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Query. Is it better to not run a wheel guard and have the driver launched into the air inside a car with all its safety features or have the wheel guard fly off in random directions potentially injuring innocent spectators who have paid to come see a race? (since that's what seemed to happen on Sunday...?)

Response. Surely much better to compromise and have a wheel guard that stays on! It's the same with wheel tethers though; there will always be certain situations in which they will fail.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
Also I've not properly inspected the indy Lights car yet, does that have wheel guards too? :?

They do not. They just have an extension at the bottom of the tub to prevent interlocking wheels from the side.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
I hope not, I believe an open wheel formula should be purely open wheeled.

You can argue a case that they should run them in Oval spec and I'd agree with it, but in road and street courses it just pushes them more towards a sports car series. From the back these cars look stupid, not like an open wheel single seater at all.

And if you hit them hard enough they're next to useless anyway, we've seen enough of that by now too.

Maybe they are meant to clean the airflow off the back of the car as well as protect the rear wheels. I think that's why they're so big.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dan Belcher wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

They do not. They just have an extension at the bottom of the tub to prevent interlocking wheels from the side.

I can't see how those extensions in front of the rear tyres will stop interlocking wheels. In fact, looking at the clearance behind the front wheels could the wheels easily interlock.

Last edited by kals on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, I question how effective it would be as well. Aside from any undertray aerodynamic elements of that, I think the design of that is meant for glancing side-to-side contact while racing on ovals, making it more likely the cars just bounce apart a little instead of hooking together. Just my guess though.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next