TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:35 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chris A wrote:
Dan Belcher wrote:
I think Bestwick's doing a fine job. Goodyear and Cheever on the other hand... The only good thing about them is the awkward tension between the two. It's like waiting for a fistfight to start in the booth. :lol:

Yeah, that tension does put a little fun back into it. I like Goodyear more than Cheever though. Scott is just kinda awkward and mundane, but Cheever just seems like a prick.

didn't Cheever say he won Le Mans once during the race or some shit

(which obviously never happened)

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

Last edited by OldAsphalt on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:37 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

OldAsphalt wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Dan Belcher wrote:
I think Bestwick's doing a fine job. Goodyear and Cheever on the other hand... The only good thing about them is the awkward tension between the two. It's like waiting for a fistfight to start in the booth. :lol:

Yeah, that tension does put a little fun back into it. I like Goodyear more than Cheever though. Scott is just kinda awkward and mundane, but Cheever just seems like a prick.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if he means Petit Le Mans? :?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:51 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Could be...but they were explicitly talking about LE Le Mans.

I bet Scott Goodyear was like "huh...no you didn't!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:43 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

codename_47 wrote:
OldAsphalt wrote:
Chris A wrote:

The more I think about it the more I wonder if he means Petit Le Mans? :?

He hasn't won that either though. Remember Petit is a very young event.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:35 pm 

iks wrote:
Poor Bourdais. His Champ Car days seem so distant...

and so does JPM's years of absolute dominance in USA's open wheel series

He's almost 40 now but Helio has the same age, so it can't be all down to age.

He simply is one of the slowest drivers of the field right now and that is alarming when you think in some of the names that are in this series.

It seems most here don't like this track but I think it's quite a good street circuit. Imo, a lot better than the other street circuit, not far from it, that F1 will visit in a few days.

It as some high speed corners and more punishing walls closer to the track. The bumps are a down side but you can't expect that to be fixed anytime soon given it's located in a "bankrupted" city. In the end, the TUSC and Indycar races were entertaining to me, so I can't complain of them racing in Detroit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:41 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Artur Craft wrote:
iks wrote:

He simply is one of the slowest drivers of the field right now and that is alarming when you think in some of the names that are in this series.

not sure if serious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh he's serious. Unfortunately.

Shit, at least give Monty time to settle down and get back into the swing of things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
iks wrote:

It seems most here don't like this track but I think it's quite a good street circuit. Imo, a lot better than the other street circuit, not far from it, that F1 will visit in a few days.

It as some high speed corners and more punishing walls closer to the track. The bumps are a down side but you can't expect that to be fixed anytime soon given it's located in a "bankrupted" city. In the end, the TUSC and Indycar races were entertaining to me, so I can't complain of them racing in Detroit

Yeah comparing someone who hasn't been in the series for 13 years and hasn't been in an open wheel since 2006 to someone who has been driving for Penske since 1999 is really a fair comparison.

Sure he isn't the young Juan anymore who could jump in the car and be fast instantly. He is older and has been driving stockcars for the past 7 years, he isn't able to adapt that fast anymore. He has been performing quite well in more than half of the races this season, just give it freaking time. Last weekend was just shit, true. But judging someone from just 1 weekend is just unfair. He had race winning pace at the Indy Grand Prix and was pretty good at the 500. Other races he had good pace too (Alabama) but just wasnt able to convert it into a result. I didn't thought he would need it but 1 learning year and he is back in old shape IMO (literally and figural speaking).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Indycar field is a lot better now than the champcar and indy field JPM raced against in 1999 and 2000, and Bourdais also had not that many challengers in his champcar years. Barrichello also often strugled in his only Indycar season, it's a lot harder than people think to be competitive at every race in this series. RHR was nowhere this weekend after dominating the 500.

All in all I think JPM is doing a good job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:42 pm 

dicksplaash wrote:
not sure if serious

Yeah, I was joking. JPM is showing a lot more speed than HCN and Power, it's just bad luck that his mega speed hasn't turned into good results...

I'll give him time, even years. But, please, let's just not pretend he's not slow, right now

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This weekend was pure shit, agree. But he had shown promise before this weekend, just nog able tot translatie it to good results.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
dicksplaash wrote:
not sure if serious

Yeah, I was joking. JPM is showing a lot more speed than HCN and Power, it's just bad luck that his mega speed hasn't turned into good results...

I'll give him time, even years. But, please, let's just not pretend he's not slow, right now

I'm fine with recognizing the reality and facts rather than judging based on nonsensical assumptions.

I'll pretend your assumptions make sense, even though they don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:12 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Artur Craft wrote:

What did you call it again in the Sportscar thread? "Chicane paradise" and "a shitty track for a shitty series"? I didn't bother responding then but it seems that Montreal has given you terrible nightmares or something. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bourdais has had some strong runs the past 2 years, Were a couple races in 2012/13 especially that he could have won.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:
Bourdais has had some strong runs the past 2 years, Were a couple races in 2012/13 especially that he could have won.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Bourdais is running in a lesser funded team that once in a while shows that they can compete with the series powerhouses. Same for Sato. Same for a few others.

But Artur is happier ignoring the facts. That's fine I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JPM hasn't seemed bothered by his pace, and has indicated in recent interviews that he is adapting as quickly as he and the team expected him to. I think we can conclude the obvious from that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:10 pm 

Fish88 wrote:
This weekend was pure shit, agree. But he had shown promise before this weekend, just nog able tot translatie it to good results.

4th at Long Beach and 5th at Indy are pretty good results. He might have done alright at Barber and the Indy GP too if it weren't for some driver error.

The cars are very close to each other (almost spec car :p) so it's probably small little details that make the difference. The Chip Ganassi cars for instance seem a bit off pace this year, yet would you call the leading Ganassi driver Scott Dixon (who is 1 place behind Montoya in the standings) "one of the slowest drivers in the field"? :o

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:48 pm 

StanV wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:

What did you call it again in the Sportscar thread? "Chicane paradise" and "a shitty track for a shitty series"? I didn't bother responding then but it seems that Montreal has given you terrible nightmares or something. :lol:

Yep, I guess those were the words I used.

The layout of Circuit GV is the worst of the calendar, imo. Even worse than some tracks like Abu Dhabi.

I understand people liking it because of all the SCs, crashes and overall action that usually happens there but watching cars drive around the "chicane paradise" is almost as boring as watch paint dry to me. The corners are too dull.

It had some good overtakes there in the past but with DRS and crappy tyres, it became just a position swap.

Detroit, in the other hand, has challenging corners and is even less forgiving to errors.

From a fanboy POV, I should have loved Montreal being a Schumacher fan, as he won and dominated there so many times, but the shitty layout didn't compensate enough for that.

Anyway, have fun with the F1 race

kals, my point wasn't even about Bourdais. He's alright imo, not the super driver he used to be but not particularly slow either. He's has just became more crash happy in the last few years. Montoya has been slow so far, imho, but I'll give him more time.

But it is worthy to be said that I perceive JPM's return to be not very good because my expectation regarding him is very high, I hope he materializes the hope of seeing him battle closely with HCN and Power, sometime in the future

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:35 am 

StefMeister wrote:

agreed :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:00 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Artur Craft wrote:
kals, my point wasn't even about Bourdais. He's alright imo, not the super driver he used to be but not particularly slow either. He's has just became more crash happy in the last few years. Montoya has been slow so far, imho, but I'll give him more time.

7 - Montoya - 187
10 - Bourdais - 170

I don't know how you measure things in your head, but it seems to apply to different drivers differently.

Anyway, this home coming of JPM to American Open Wheel Racing was never going to be like the old days. The old 99/00 CART cars had around 700hp with around 400lb-ft of torque , and significantly less downforce. They were turbo charged monsters. Now days, before boost, they push out 550hp, at 300lb/ft of torque. The throttle control no longer needs to be as precise as you can mash the throttle and the car will stick. Back in the 90s, the touchy throttle and lack of grip worked great for somebody like JPM.

He has a lot of adapting to do.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next