TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:11 am 
The most anticipated member

codename_47 wrote:
Great. ...because those cars aren't ugly enough already.... :slaphead:

I understand this is a troubling time for motorsport but I hope there will be no knee jerk reactions that fundementally change the very fibre of the sport.
Single seater racing is open cockpit, open wheel racing, anything else is verging into sports car territory.

Just look at the delta wing...something that didn't look great when it first arrived now just looks ridiculous with a closed cockpit slapped on it....

Please let us find other ways to make our sport safe without changing their very nature....

I share the opinion that we have to assume (fans, team owners, DRIVERS) that Motorsports is dangerous. If you don't like to be in a dangerous sport, then leave it!

Best solutions for safety in my opinion: If you are afraid, go do something else in your life. All that's needed to do to make it safer was done and they've done so many good things, both in Formula One and IndyCar....but no, looks like there is obsession for 100% safety, this does not exist.

Look, I'm afraid of airplanes.....I'm not going to become an airplane pilot. If a driver is afraid of motorsports, go do something else instead.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Your comments a massively ironic because only a year or so ago you were complaining about the bumps at the São Paolo circuit saying it was too dangerous for the drivers and motorsport in general.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:41 am 
The most anticipated member

Back then I was more worried about the reputation of the race, because If something goes wrong, you know what happens, "the track is shitty, organization is bad and so on". But overall, I defend the opinion shared by many drivers like Nelson Piquet, I've basically wrote exactly what he said some years ago on an interview, If you think motorsport is dangerous, leave it.

Not saying that there shouldn't be any worry about safety, but all efforts during the last decades were more than enough to make it extremely safe. Formula One in 2014 is very safe. Im really sorry for Jules, one of my favorites drivers aswell, but now roof in F1/IndyCar, this is really exaggeration.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

J.Morelli wrote:
Back then I was more worried about the reputation of the race, because If something goes wrong, you know what happens, "the track is shitty, organization is bad and so on". But overall, I defend the opinion shared by many drivers like Nelson Piquet, I've basically wrote exactly what he said some years ago on an interview, If you think motorsport is dangerous, leave it.

Not saying that there shouldn't be any worry about safety, but all efforts during the last decades were more than enough to make it extremely safe. Formula One in 2014 is very safe. Im really sorry for Jules, one of my favorites drivers aswell, but now roof in F1/IndyCar, this is really exaggeration.....

So let me get this straight... you're opposed to a dangerous-looking track because of image, but not because of it possibly being dangerous?

Congratulations, you're part of the problem! :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:56 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

lol i have no clue how you came to that conclusion from his post. he's saying safety has been worked on endlessly for all forms of open wheel racing yet no matter what there will always be danger when ur sitting in a carbon fiber object traveling at 200-230mph. if you sit back and really think about the major (resulting in death or career ending injuries) crashes over the last 10 years in open wheel racing almost all of them have been crazy and nearly unthinkable circumstances. you could even go further back and include Senna's death in there as well. open wheel cars have been racing for decades and how many times has a driver been impaled by his own suspension(senna)? how many times has a car flown over 300ft top first into a catch fence(wheldon)? how many time has tether broken and the wheel just happened to fly onto the race path and a driver been hit square in the head by a wheel at race speeds(surtees). you get the point and i could surely go on for a while about accidents where a perfect canopy might have helped. it's not a new idea and its also not very practical. it's like taking a job as a trash man and then bitching about smelling dirty at the end of each day or a mechanic complaining about getting his hands dirty while working. please tell me which driver has ever canceled his paycheck because he has enough money. tell me which driver has ever deleted his twiter or instagram and stopped making sponsor appearances because he didnt like the attention and being in the spotlight. you know what comes with the job when you accept it, if you dont like it then go work elsewhere because, hell if these guys dont want to get paid millions to drive some of the worlds quickest cars, then let me know where the hell i can sign up to fill in for them!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sennadesillva wrote:
lol i have no clue how you came to that conclusion from his post. he's saying safety has been worked on endlessly for all forms of open wheel racing yet no matter what there will always be danger when ur sitting in a carbon fiber object traveling at 200-230mph. if you sit back and really think about the major (resulting in death or career ending injuries) crashes over the last 10 years in open wheel racing almost all of them have been crazy and nearly unthinkable circumstances. you could even go further back and include Senna's death in there as well. open wheel cars have been racing for decades and how many times has a driver been impaled by his own suspension(senna)? how many times has a car flown over 300ft top first into a catch fence(wheldon)? how many time has tether broken and the wheel just happened to fly onto the race path and a driver been hit square in the head by a wheel at race speeds(surtees). you get the point and i could surely go on for a while about accidents where a perfect canopy might have helped. it's not a new idea and its also not very practical. it's like taking a job as a trash man and then bitching about smelling dirty at the end of each day or a mechanic complaining about getting his hands dirty while working. please tell me which driver has ever canceled his paycheck because he has enough money. tell me which driver has ever deleted his twiter or instagram and stopped making sponsor appearances because he didnt like the attention and being in the spotlight. you know what comes with the job when you accept it, if you dont like it then go work elsewhere because, hell if these guys dont want to get paid millions to drive some of the worlds quickest cars, then let me know where the hell i can sign up to fill in for them!

My 'conclusion' was simply that this whole attitude of 'man up and accept the risks' doesn't belong in this century. It may have been part of the job in the 60s - hell, even Jackie Stewart got derided for trying to introduce seat belts - but no driver should feel pressured into shutting up when it comes to being exposed to avoidable risks.

Sure, there will always be a freak accident that claims a life, but it's a matter of pure statistics that many of them have involved blunt trauma to the head. Fitting a canopy to the cars wouldn't be hard at all, given notice. There is decades worth of aerospace experience to rely on, plus the more obvious example of LMP designs being open or closed cockpit.

In F1 terms, we saw Alonso, Button, Massa and Vettel all agreeing that the idea is worth looking into. People always complain that any change will ruin what F1 or Indycar 'is', but it's a pointless argument seeing as change will always occur in some way. Are people still complaining about the fenders on the DW12? Do people still complain about the 'ugly' high cockpit sides? Are the drivers pussies because they have 3" belts rather than 2", and fireproof underwear?

Trying to equate 'You empty bins, so don't complain if you smell' to 'You drive fast cars and get to be rich, so don't complain if you die' is just... I don't even know where to start with that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:32 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

I'm looking forward to more of these!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Our first pictures of the Chevy aerokit tested at COTA... and it's ugly as sin, has massive rear wheel guards with X wings, and still has an air intake on the engine cover. :yuk:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:24 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

:slaphead:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:23 pm 

Bit like a full downforce early 2000's CART chassis :S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ellu wrote:
Bit like a full downforce early 2000's CART chassis :S

Except 1,000,000x uglier. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If it looks terrible but still produces good races, then I won't give a monkey's. But if it looks terrible and the races are appalling then I'll give a shit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeaa, I can handle ugly cars and good races. And people need to get over the airbox.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:42 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

NO

Twitter:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
And people need to get over the fact that indycars can get airborne.

Gaara wrote:
And people need to get over the fact that Paul Tracy never won the Indy500.

Gaara wrote:
And people need to get over the fact that Will Power is actually awesome.

Gaara wrote:
And people need to get over the fact that 1990s and 2000s Indycar / ChampCar NO LONGER EXISTS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:34 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

SHOTS FIRED

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:48 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Kals needs to get over the technique of taking someone's quotes and adding a load of other things they never said :p

Twitter:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Kals needs to get over the technique of taking someone's quotes and adding a load of other things they never said :p

codename_47 wrote:
NO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 am 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

[x] Rekt
[ ] Not rekt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:32 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Downforce levels with these kits are going to be stupid. But hey, it's almost like they didn't think this new car through.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next