TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:32 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I think the goal should be to ensure they DON'T run full throttle in NASCAR like packs all day

That era is over and good riddance to it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

https://racer.com/2024/02/15/rll-confir ... -indy-500/

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:43 pm 

Juihi wrote:
The new layout was going to go down Broadway which btw would have been fckn badass, but I'm wondering if it was causing too much resistance from locals? I'm hoping the speedway was their backup option and they'll still pursue the street track in the future

Per this Indianapolis Star article, Indycar and Nashville Superspeedway struck a three year deal.

Also, the article made it sound like the organization running the street event was not well "organized" at all, and dropped the ball (in part due to resistance from the municipalities and perhaps some chaos in the staff). Running on Broadway probably will never happen, according to the article, but they do want to bring the race back as a street event. (We'll see on that point, of course...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another article said a lot about the NFL Stadium and space for all teams and staff being the problem. On Motorsport.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sting Ray Robb with an interesting sponsor...

https://www.indycar.com/news/2024/02/02 ... JeVOT_p74w

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:13 pm 

Juihi wrote:
Sting Ray Robb with an interesting sponsor...
https://www.indycar.com/news/2024/02/02 ... JeVOT_p74w

Still better than the wide range of sketchy sponsors from the "crypto" community adorning race cars lately. :p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:20 pm 

Pray.com Founder and CEO Steve Gatena wrote:
We partnered up with Sting Ray – not only because of his cool name but also because of his Christian testimony.

Because of his cool name? Really. I mean I get it, I am sure they didn't just spend thousands of dollars on sponsorship because someone has a "cool name" but it still sounds really fucking dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:11 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

If only they'd have put it on the wing...

Then we'd have nothing but "on a wing an a prayer..." jokes from the commentators :whistling:

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Coyne's drivers at this week's Sebring test will be Jack Harvey and Colin Braun.

EDIT: Pruett believes that neither Coyne car will belong to a single driver this year. Harvey should get St. Petersburg and a selection of other races in the #18, and Braun will drive the #51 at the season opener if the test goes well. Beyond that, the auction still appears to be ongoing.

https://racer.com/2024/02/25/braun-harv ... t-sebring/

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dan Wheldon documentary/movie coming on March 12 (on HBO Max if you're in the US). Looks like it'll be as much about Dan's career as his two young sons racing - something I didn't know but must be extra tense for their mother given what she already went through with losing Dan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Was just coming here to post the same thing. Really looking forward to this one, and not ashamed to admit I'll probably be crying like a baby.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, it's one of those wanna see but at the same time I don't wanna.

It's still too fresh in my memory. I really fell in love with Wheldon commentating in the broadcast that season. Such an awesome guy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SBan83 wrote:
Dan Wheldon documentary/movie coming on March 12 (on HBO Max if you're in the US). Looks like it'll be as much about Dan's career as his two young sons racing - something I didn't know but must be extra tense for their mother given what she already went through with losing Dan.

Jacques Villeneuve and Markus Winkelhock from circuit racing, Marcus Grönholm and Alessandro Bettega from rallying. Those are names I can recall who went on to follow their fathers' footsteps even if their dads paid the ultimate price.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:59 pm 

motorsport.com wrote:
Penske Entertainment President and CEO Mark Miles met with a small group of reporters on Thursday to discuss various topics surrounding the sport, including an IndyCar version of a NASCAR-like charter system concept.

NASCAR implemented the system in 2016, allowing owners with possession of a charter to have a guaranteed spot in each race and collect more prize money.

Miles shared the latest meetings with IndyCar team owners happened on Wednesday to discuss the ongoing development.

“The way we explained it to them, the way we see it is that look, we've sort of put out a couple of different concepts for charters in previous team owner meetings, and frankly, not been very close to consensus on what it might look like,” Miles said.

“Yesterday, we aired another kind of high-level starting point for the concept of charters that maybe we'll have more traction. And we're going to work with a smaller group of team owners to get that developed. We'd like to see it fully developed and adopted before the 500 in coming weeks.”

When asked by Motorsport.com if the push to implement a charter system within that desired timeframe is to enable guaranteed entries into this year’s Indy 500, thus breaking tradition of the fastest 33 qualifiers – which has been rumored – Miles shared the current stance.

“I guess they're related,” Miles said.

“The reason we'd like to get on with this is first of all, we've been talking about it for a while and okay, let's figure it out. Let's really lock up with the teams to figure out what's satisfactory. What would create value for them and for the series.

“It's not this May. I just feel like we've restarted seemed like we had some pretty good feedback from the third sort of starting point for discussions that we talked about with them yesterday. I think by tomorrow, I will finish with Jay (Frye, President of IndyCar) putting together a smaller group of team owners to really work intensively to try to come up with something that ought to make sense for the for the series broadly, and the others. We just want to get it done.”

And how the charter system could be implemented immediately is by pulling from final results of the 2023 season.

“Another element that we were talking about is that we might start it such that last year's results, and the teams that we expect to be on the grid full time this year, could be the initial charter members,” Miles said.

“So, if it's going to be based on the composition of the grid at the beginning of this year, I mean, the grid for the IndyCar Series broadly, then the sooner we get we get locked in, I think the more sense that will make.

“The discussion in our timing isn't driven by trying to sort out exactly what happens on the grid for the Indianapolis 500. Although obviously, that's going to be a point of discussion.

“I'll just tell you, in the proposal we put out yesterday, we said, ‘We want you to think about this without the assurance of charter members having automatic starting positions on the grid for the 500.’ That’s what we aired, and of course, we immediately heard a lot of other team owners saying, ‘Woah, that’s really important.’

"So, it’s a key discussion point, for sure.”

So Indycar is now following the F1 and NASCAR route of controlling who and who isn't allowed to enter and/or killing off any potential for new entries.

Oh and destroying the Indy 500 qualifying tradition.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Bump day at Indy is called bump day for a reason!

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:02 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

i don't get it, they spent so long getting to 33 so they could make bump day worth watching again, now they want to ensure we don't have it?

If they MUST do this franchise thing, can't they just franchise the 28 or so cars that run full time so we can still have a bit of a bump day at Indy? :?

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think there has been a misunderstanding - bumping would still exist (assuming 34 or more entries), but only non-charter cars would be bumped.

Assuming that the team owners end up getting their way and not Miles getting his.

More generally, I do have a bit of sympathy (but not support) for the team owners' position - the 500 is by far and away the biggest opportunity for exposure that an Indycar team has, and there is clearly a degree of jeopardy for commercial relationships if they miss that race. So it is understandable that they want that bit of security in exchange for making the effort for the rest of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:27 am 

RtN wrote:
I think there has been a misunderstanding - bumping would still exist (assuming 34 or more entries), but only non-charter cars would be bumped.

No, I understood it as you described it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Paul seemed to think that there would no longer be any bumping.

----------------------

The line-up is (mostly) complete - Coyne will run Jack Harvey and Colin Braun at St. Pete. Harvey will complete most of the season excluding Thermal, Long Beach, the 500 and Toronto. For these races, Nolan Siegel will drive the #18. At the moment, Braun is signed for St. Pete and Thermal only.

EDIT: SPAM have also confirmed Ilott as Malukas' stand-in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:35 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Callum Ilott will stand-in for the injured David Malukas in the season opener this weekend.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... /10583480/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next