TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
The line-up is (mostly) complete - Coyne will run Jack Harvey and Colin Braun at St. Pete. Harvey will complete most of the season excluding Thermal, Long Beach, the 500 and Toronto. For these races, Nolan Siegel will drive the #18. At the moment, Braun is signed for St. Pete and Thermal only.

Jesus, why is Coyne such a rotating door. Have a listen to Bourdais on Dinners with racers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:18 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Money. Coyne tries to run his team without making a loss and that entails being very careful about who drives and how often. The final question from this week's Mailbag (which is always a reprint from a Mailbag from the same week a few years ago) was probably chosen to answer that sort of question;

Robin Miller in 2014 wrote:
Coyne is smart, frugal and quite a survivor. But he’s confounding. He finally won a race with Justin and Bill Pappas and then couldn’t keep them together. He then brought them back together for 2012, but now Pappas has gone again. Coyne did manage to win Detroit last year with Mike Conway, no testing, a solid little squad and the engineering of John Dick and Pappas. But now both those engineers are at RLLR. Dale doesn’t believe in bidding wars so maybe that’s his strength.

So if you read between the lines of yesterday's news, it seems like Harvey doesn't quite have the budget for a full year (and is missing the most valuable race), Siegel does have money but doesn't want to clash with NXT or give up his chance at ROTY next year, and Braun is also quite short on money and will need to find more if he wants to keep the drive beyond Thermal. There are drivers (DeFrancesco, Pedersen) who are on the outside looking in who definitely do have money and I am guessing at least one of them is Plan B for the #51. At the same time, Coyne does clearly want to put talent in his cars and not just a ride-buyer, which is probably why Braun has been given the chance instead of plumping straight for someone with guaranteed cash.

It could even be that Coyne was about to give one of the seats to Danial Frost until that was banjaxed by his national service.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:15 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Pruett is writing a team-by-team guide in the leadup to this weekend. For Coyne, he mentions that Braun is not bringing any money and that Legge is likely to be given the #51 for all of the oval races.

https://racer.com/2024/03/06/2024-indyc ... ne-racing/

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

A familar tune is starting to sound.

https://racer.com/2024/03/09/indycar-te ... rtainment/

It does sound as though communication has now been developed, although this is being threatened by Andretti not being able to keep his mouth shut.

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/mo ... 900135007/

Mikey has gotten very, very good at spending other people's money. He's doing very well at spending Dan Towriss' money, and then he moved onto spending General Motors' money, and now he wants to move onto spending Roger Penske's money, or at the least telling him how to run his business. Which is somewhat amusing coming from a man who has zero business credentials of his own. He has not grown a single business using his own money - the expansion of his race team has been funded entirely by Towriss' chequebook. Maybe he has forgotten this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:21 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The difference between this and previous team unions is that there is a line of communication with the guy that owns the whole show and he doesn't just think he's a dictator that can rule carte blanche

No doubt about it we're in a high watermark for indycar, with big grids and bumping at indy

But there are challenges ahead with the hybrid engines, team franchising and Honda seemingly with one foot out the door headed for NASCAR and no way Chevrolet picks up the 15/16 engine demand that will be left in that wake

These will only be weathered if everyone works together on the same page, not descending into infighting

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Penske has responded in the sensible way by inviting 3 actual business owners (including Towriss and not the clown spending his money) to advise on growing the series.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
But there are challenges ahead with the hybrid engines, team franchising and Honda seemingly with one foot out the door headed for NASCAR and no way Chevrolet picks up the 15/16 engine demand that will be left in that wake

A solution I've heard is having a new chassis that allows compatibility with engines being used in LMDh, that would suddenly open up multiple manufacturers to join the series

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That sounds nice!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:33 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

I'd like that too

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:11 pm 

How would that work though? Does that mean they will allow multiple engine configurations? The only engine in LMDh that would probably be compatible is the Acura V6, presumably they wouldn't allow V8 engines or any kind of naturally aspirated engine?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LMDh engines are quite a bit heavier. Minimum weight is 180 kg (~397 lbs), in Indycar it is 248 lbs (~112 kg). And haven't Indycar been looking into reducing the weight of the cars.

Who was behind this idea, just a random user on twitter?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:19 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

deggis wrote:
Who was behind this idea, just a random user on twitter?

I heard it on one of David Land's videos iirc, so yea, take with a grain of salt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:31 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fairly sure it was part of Mikey's shopping list of nonsense as well. If the proposal were to be adopted, BoP would have to be introduced at the same time, on top of the issues around weight and dimensions. I still like Honda's idea as it would give the series a lot of flexibility in what the spec engine would look and sound like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

And here's Pruett from this week's Mailbag doing a respectable job of explaining why the IMSA engine idea is stuff and nonsense.

Marshall Pruett wrote:
IndyCar team owners and drivers alike are really unhappy with how heavy the Dallara DW12 has become; it will reach a modern high when the series go hybrid. And that comes with a tiny, short, narrow, and comparatively light 2.2-liter twin-turbo V6 engine formula. A big component of what makes an IndyCar go as fast as it does is the absence of weight compared to a sports car or stock car.

Most of the GTP engines and pretty much all of the GT3 engines are much bigger, heavier, taller, wider, or longer, if not all five of those things at once. So if lightness is what makes an IndyCar perform like it does, the thing that will kill its performance is making it really heavy. The only workaround is to add a bunch of extra horsepower to try and offset the extra weight, but there’s a tipping point where only so much power can be added to mask that weight.

The DW12 was never designed to carry anything other than that tiny 2.2-liter motor, and the rest of the car is built around it. To consider using GTP/GT3 engines, an all-new car would be required that can accept all the different shapes and sizes. That can be done. But then we come back to the current car, with the tiny motor, becoming super-heavy when it gets all of the hybrid gear installed.

Bolting in a GTP or GT3 motor would take the weight into uncharted territory, which would only worsen the problem. More weight means a slower car, and one that hates to stop and turn.

So, yes, you could pull those IMSA motors over to IndyCar, but unless you design a new chassis that’s hundreds of pounds lighter than the DW12, and that’s not realistic, it’s hard to figure out how the insanely heavy cars would be anything other than a competitive embarrassment.

At that point, it would be easier to buy GTP cars, cut the fenders off, and call them IndyCars.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There will definitely be an Abel entry at the 500, but Enerson needs to find a sponsor if he wants to drive it.

https://racer.com/2024/03/20/enerson-wo ... with-abel/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fuck off NASCAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:14 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

First they kicked Indycar/CART out of the ovals, and i said nothing*

Then they came for the street courses they make money on.....

INDYCAR better hope Roger has a watertight succession plan for Indianapolis when he eventually dies, because NASCAR will probably be sniffing around there too

*Ok that's not true, I was definitely not in my "saying nothing regards to Indycar/CART" era when that happened :P

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Penske Corporation will pass to Greg and Roger Jr. when the time comes. But there likely wouldn't be anything to stop them from selling to anyone if they were so minded.

---------------------

The first stirrings of Silly Season have started to appear - it is well-known that Newgarden is out of contract at the end of the year and that he is looking for the sort of salary that Herta is being paid, if not more ($6 million). His hand is however weakened by the fact that only 4 teams have the means to pay that sort of money and there don't appear to be obvious vacancies at any of the three he isn't currently driving for; Ganassi now seems fairly plugged in for the forseeable, unless Dixon decides he's had enough, Andretti has only just made a conscious decision to shrink to 3 and all of their drivers are secure for at least 2025, whilst SPAM may have a Rossi-sized space for next year but that would mean not renewing Rossi and at the same time possibly putting O'Ward's nose out of joint. Malukas is reportedly signed for more than just this year.

SPAM are also strongly pursuing Lundgaard, although this would presumably be to fill the fourth car they were musing about last year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:39 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
Then they came for the street courses they make money on.....

The RACER article on it.

It appears that only 50% of the event is up for sale (the portion owned the late businessman Kevin Kalkhoven) and this is what NASCAR is rumored to target. The other 50% is owned by former Champ Car series owner Gerald Forsythe.

Rumor has it that Roger Penske's business is also making a bid for the Kalkhoven 50% portion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Panic over.

https://racer.com/2024/03/28/forsythe-t ... o-indycar/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next