TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 34
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I don't mind the red flags either, as long it is taken with common sense, and no problem with shootouts at the finish as long drivers behave and not act like maniacs who left their brains at home

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:29 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:56 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

amq55 wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
They should do like BTCC and add extra laps when there's a red flag. Sorted. Well, as long as they're not short on fuel.

I don't understand how this isn't common practice yet. If the concern is fuel, set a limit of extra laps and fuel accordingly.

One thing that will never happen is the Indy 500 being more than 500 miles....

OK, ONCE that happened in 1995 but it was just for one car. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:50 pm 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

codename_47 wrote:
amq55 wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
They should do like BTCC and add extra laps when there's a red flag. Sorted. Well, as long as they're not short on fuel.

I don't understand how this isn't common practice yet. If the concern is fuel, set a limit of extra laps and fuel accordingly.

One thing that will never happen is the Indy 500 being more than 500 miles....

OK, ONCE that happened in 1995 but it was just for one car. ;)

Actually... what about that one lap all cars but 3 did for reordering? Was that extra or contained within the 500 miles?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

This was the first Indy since 2017 where none of the rookies finished. In 2017, Harvey, Veach and Alonso failed to finish.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pending wrote:
Ferrucci was such a dick on the restart just before T1. Someone needs to properly beat some common sense into him before he kills someone

It's not just him, the driving standards are eroding. 3-wide in turn 4 during restarts, swerving at people on the straights, weaving 4 times per straight to break the tow (back when Pagenaud did it against Rossi, it was 2 separate moves to make it look legitimate and it still felt dirty - now there's no shame left at all). No warnings/penalties are handed over, and nobody is outcast by the drivers.

We are getting used to the idiocy because it's been slowly and steadily creeping up for years, but such a lack of respect for human life is unseen at the 500. I feel that all the unwritten rules and mutual respect is slowly eroding in favour of a cut-throat win-at-all-costs attitude. I will be the first to admit that I enjoyed those finishes when the suspense was great and I liked the winner (Pags, Ericsson, Newgarden), but that's not a good attitude to have. Even if this never materializes into a tragedy, it's still ugly to watch in retrospect.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don’t understand all the complaints about weaving to break the tow. They’re trying to get away from each other. It’s the opposite of blocking, so I don’t really see the danger (aside from swinging down into pit entry territory off T4).

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:50 am 

Is there an onboard from Patos crash?
Edit: Found it: https://www.reddit.com/r/INDYCAR/commen ... ps_of_the/ Unfortunately not pointing straight ahead
Edit2: So... looking at this:
Pato wasn't 100% alongside but his front tire was in front of Marcus sidepod, so I do think he's entitled to a cars width.
He didn't get that. That's clearly less than a car width between Ericssons tire and the grass.
Soo... I wouldn't have called a penalty either, but if he had got one... I think it wouldn't have been incorrect.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's a tough one to call. The screenshots certainly show that Pato was alongside. I think the problem for me is how late he stuck his nose in there. Most of the passes are completed by the time the drivers reach the turn. If they are still side by side, then one of the drivers will usually concede the position. Ericsson can't really concede the position because he's already turning into the corner when O'Ward gets alongside. His only option is to give O'Ward a bit more room, but as he's already committed to the corner, he could end up getting too high and ending up in the wall himself.

The other factor that doesn't help O'Ward is that Ericsson has already put his car in the middle of the track to defend the inside. Yes, there is still a gap for Pato to get up the inside, but it really tightens up the angle of the corner. I think he would lose too much momentum going into the corner anyway, even if Ericsson does leave more space. He could have tried the outside himself, or set up another run going down the start/finish straight.

I can understand why he took the chance. The last few laps are often decided between the top two cars, and it's sometimes difficult for the 3rd place driver to get close enough. I just think he needed to be more patient (he had fresher tyres than everyone else, didn't he?).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:33 am 

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I just think he needed to be more patient (he had fresher tyres than everyone else, didn't he?).

Completely agree that in his position he should have been more patient, but that shouldn't have any influence in determining if Ericsson deserves a penalty or not. It was another lesson for Pato and eventually he will be refined enough to win it. Sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
I don’t understand all the complaints about weaving to break the tow. They’re trying to get away from each other. It’s the opposite of blocking, so I don’t really see the danger (aside from swinging down into pit entry territory off T4).

I think that you sim-race, so you've been in the chasing car position before probably. How confident are you that they're 100% in control of your car's distance and relative speed, while they're weaving and probably looking ahead? How safe do you feel that the second you pull out, they're going to interrupt their next move and stay on one side? Every time I've tried it ends up with them finishing the move anyway, or not seeing you and squeezing you on whatever side they were already committed to weave to. It's terrible etiquette, unfair, and dangerous.

This weaving has been forbidden and black/white flagged in most FIA series, even if done while fully ahead of other drivers. Proper etiquette is break the tow maybe twice in separate, clear and decisive moves, then stick to a side and fight it in the next corner/straight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:33 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fair point

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 34