TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Juihi wrote:
peterohanrahanrahan wrote:
Juihi wrote:
Needs to be a street circuit imo. Aussie's permanent tracks are fairly average, but they sure do know how to do street tracks (yes, I include Bathurst in that)

I reckon Indycar at Phillip Island would go alright. But yes I agree permanent tracks are average, hope the new one in Victoria is better than Tailem Bend.

Forgot about Phillip Island, that's a world class layout. I have fears the new one in Vic will be just that, another Tailem Bend

I'd actually like to see them at Newcastle if it had to be a street track, I find the uphill/downhill nature of that place quite fun to watch....
If it had any strategic interest to Indycar that is

Beyond that, yeah, Philip Island is the only place I can see it.....(guessing the Bathurst shorter track is deader in the water than the last time it was talked about being dead huh?)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:52 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Juihi wrote:
Needs to be a street circuit imo. Aussie's permanent tracks are fairly average, but they sure do know how to do street tracks (yes, I include Bathurst in that)

I reckon Indycar at Phillip Island would go alright.

I drove several laps there with the current IndyCar on iRacing last month and it was fucking blast. Made me want to see it tried in real life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:07 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Chris A wrote:
Juihi wrote:

I reckon Indycar at Phillip Island would go alright.

I drove several laps there with the current IndyCar on iRacing last month and it was fucking blast. Made me want to see it tried in real life.

I reckon turn 1 would be flat as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:58 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:09 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

2024 schedule is out!

Laguna Seca moves to June and Milwaukee returns as double-header on the last weekend of August instead (not exactly new idea, they run August races at Milwaukee until the early 80s). Also season finale in Nashville. Title decided by some Yakety moment? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I love IndyCar but the schedule has gotten quite stale and dull in recent years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:15 pm 

Chris A wrote:
I love IndyCar but the schedule has gotten quite stale and dull in recent years.

What is the solution other than trying international races again? Most ovals ain't looking to make the IndyCar schedule (even the ones that only have one NASCAR date). More shared weekends with NASCAR and settling as the Saturday support act?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:44 pm 

Vassago wrote:
2024 schedule is out!
Laguna Seca moves to June and Milwaukee returns as double-header on the last weekend of August instead (not exactly new idea, they run August races at Milwaukee until the early 80s). Also season finale in Nashville. Title decided by some Yakety moment? :roll:

As predicted by rumors, looks like Texas is out (at least this year), too, probably (if the rumors were correct) due to conflicts with NASCAR dates and the Olympics schedule shuffling both series had to do.
Without Eddie Gossage, not sure it will be back tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And to think 20 years ago, IRL was ovals only, 15 in total compared to 4 now. Two of those tracks from '04 don't even host racing anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sigh... Michigan and Pocono and the possibility of the Triple Crown sit there patiently waiting for another crack at it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
from what we saw in Laguna Seca regarding driving standars is quite a wise decision to stay away from superspeedways for now

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:48 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

If indycar fans actually attended oval racing as much as bitched about not having oval racing on the schedule online, then ovals would be the most profitable of the track types

As it is, they've actually added a new oval track and decided to do a back to back with it to give us the maximum oval racing they can (Penske isn't losing money on this though, so I give it 3 years at best before they realise it's making no money for them)

Sadly, it wasn't returned to the traditional weekend after Indy like in the good old days, which without Texas I thought would be a given, but oh well...

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:42 pm 

Gaara wrote:
And to think 20 years ago, IRL was ovals only, 15 in total compared to 4 now. Two of those tracks from '04 don't even host racing anymore.

Yeah, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Gateway are at the moment the only venues on the 2003 IRL calendar that still has an Indy style race now. (And 2003 was the last year for the IRL at Gateway.)

In contrast, 7 venues of the 2003 CART season (St. Pete, Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Portland, Toronto, Road America, Mid-Ohio) were on the 2023 Indycar calendar. (And for next season, also add Milwaukee for now.)

It's what it is. :whistling:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
electrodevo wrote:
In contrast, 7 venues of the 2003 CART season (St. Pete, Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Portland, Toronto, Road America, Mid-Ohio) were on the 2023 Indycar calendar. (And for next season, also add Milwaukee for now.)

put Cleveland and Surfer's Paradise into the mix and I wouldn't miss any oval

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:09 am 

codename_47 wrote:
If indycar fans actually attended oval racing as much as bitched about not having oval racing on the schedule online, then ovals would be the most profitable of the track types

As it is, they've actually added a new oval track and decided to do a back to back with it to give us the maximum oval racing they can (Penske isn't losing money on this though, so I give it 3 years at best before they realise it's making no money for them)

Sadly, it wasn't returned to the traditional weekend after Indy like in the good old days, which without Texas I thought would be a given, but oh well...

Yeah, the oval races have been poorly attended and that is no longer sustainable with all the big tobacco sponsorship money gone. I seem to recall the IRL Pikes Peak event barely had 15,000 spectators on race day and the current series can't afford those numbers anymore. Hence all the shift to downtown street racing again where the spectators don't have to travel much to see the race.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Vassago wrote:
Chris A wrote:

What is the solution other than trying international races again? Most ovals ain't looking to make the IndyCar schedule (even the ones that only have one NASCAR date). More shared weekends with NASCAR and settling as the Saturday support act?

I guess I don’t really have any realistic suggestions, just wishes. Still a very “meh” schedule though, and that’s frustrating.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:46 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think it's great. I mean 10 years ago we'd have lost our shit at the thought of Road America, Laguna Seca & Mid Ohio all one after another

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I mean, the nostalgia can only go so far. Personally, if they promised to never run Laguna Seca and Mid Ohio again, I wouldn't shed a tear.

I don't mean to be a hater here. I know most people probably like watching the series run those places, but they just bore me to tears. Too narrow and technical. They're GT tracks, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:05 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't mind Laguna Seca, yeah there's not much racing but seeing any car go through the Corkscrew never gets old. I struggle to muster up any enthusiasm for Mid Ohio.

I'd like to see them back at the Glen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:59 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Weird that I do look forward to Mid Ohio and Laguna but have no love for Long Beach in the latest layout (due a change soon lets hope lol)

I guess we'll never be happy until the 1992 schedule is returned exactly as it was :lol:

Meanwhile NASCAR is removing their recent additions to shake up their schedule (Road America, Bristol Dirt, Charlotte Roval) and going back to just cookie cutter 1.5 milers so at least Indycar is trying SOMETHING

Twitter:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 14 Next