TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IndyCar trying the 2005 NASCAR strat for concerts at Iowa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hildebrand confirmed at Foyt.

https://racer.com/2022/03/11/hildebrand ... val-races/

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

rumors starting to float around that IndyCar might replace Texas with the Mile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:06 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yes, and switch it to 1 week after Indy please

Nothing wrong with that trade off at all, racing is a lot better at the Mile than Texas anyway :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:34 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Texas used to be awesome before they put that awful surfacing down

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't think I'll miss Texas. For several years it hasn't been exciting, tbh.

I hope IndyCar could get races at other 1.5 mile ovals, the ones they used to race in the IRL years. Chicago, Kentucky, Homestead...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:54 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't get the allure of Milwaukee other than tradition. Seems like every OW race there is a snoozefest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'd put all the drivers in Silver Crowns and award IndyCar points.

It seems that the only way for IndyCar to get more big-ish ovals is abroad. Is Motegi alive after the 2011 quake?

What about Lauzitz? Rockingham closed, right?

They should buy and put money into Rafaela. It's closer to me, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Motegi is mullered, oval took structural damage in the quake, only the roadie runs now.

Rockingham exists but is owned by a car auction company and the only “sport” it sees is drifting in the old spectator car park, the oval track is used as a car park for their cars.

Euro speedway is the only one that remains operational but I’ve seen paint drying that’s more entertaining than races on the oval.

They don’t need to come to Europe, America has plenty of tracks that can be used but the “motorsport must be 100% safe and cookie cutters are not that” element would scream blue murder, the only reason Texas is still on the schedule is because the track manager threatened to sue CART into non-existence if they took the race away, had the mob got their way the only oval Indy would run is Indy and ironically, Pocono (at the time).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:05 pm 

Big ovals just haven't been a big draw in Indycar for a long time, really since the split days. For a long time if there wasn't a "package deal" with NASCAR (like Texas had for a while) attendance has just been poor. NASCAR also hasn't helped in that track reconfigurations made for them too often have been detrimental to Indycar racing (even beyond compounds, see Phoenix).

Having said that, to me Gateway, which by all accounts has been a successful event, proves that probably a decent part of the issue has been the lack of promotion and the lack of putting together a decent entertaining weekend package. Gateway also is independently owned and I think that's huge too. Unfortunately there are very few big American ovals not owned by either ISC (now owned by NASCAR) or Bruton Smith's Speedway Motorsports. If the rumor mill is true, neither company has a great relationship with Indycar. From my perspective, neither company promoted Indycar events worth a darn when they had them, at least. The few times Indycar has sort of worked with an SMI/ISC track have been when a track manager has been enthusiastic about Indycar (Texas for instance had Eddie Gossage, who love him or hate him definitely promoted the series. Since he has stepped down from managing Texas, I am assuming that Texas date is gone next year).

Assuming most ISC/SMI tracks are unlikely, that leaves only a few tracks (like the Milwaukee Mile and Pocono, both of which have been tried before) to work with. A "wild card" would be if perhaps Roger Penske purchases a couple of tracks for Indycar, particularly "core market" (Midwest USA) tracks like Chicagoland that no longer host NASCAR and seem destined for demolition. Elsewise, the pool of tracks to work with is slimmer than it seems on the surface.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

At this stage, I wouldn’t mind a second Indy race, probably a 400 mile event, like with Daytona and NASCAR.

It could help smaller teams that only run the 500, a chance to test the waters without the risk of missing the show, or even a sort of testing ground for IndyCar to try aero tweaks that may be considered to improve the racing in May.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:31 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Most ovals in America went chasing NASCAR so it's no surprising they're now unsuitable for open wheel racing.
There were plenty of acceptable ovals in the 90s and early 2000s before they started digging up their banking and making them steeper for stock cars, therefore making the Indycar product untenable there

As soon as Texas started adding that resin to try and give stock cars more grip and said to the Indycar "you deal with it, we're not changing anything" Indycar should've told them where to go

TBH Texas has never been a good race. It's a legacy of the evil IRL days when the cars had over 200hp less and a whole lot more downforce than now.
Racing there has either been been stupidly dangerous *close your eyes and hope they all dodge a bullet* No talent foot to the floor downforce racing, or boring single file shit

No loss to indycar at all

Milwaukee not only raced a lot better in the CART era than people remember (before they started screwed with ideas like the handford wing on a 1 mile oval, anyway), it's about the only appropriate oval left they could add short of building their own.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:41 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

14 degree Vegas was perfect for IndyCar but it was NASCAR'd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:50 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Rockingham UK looks weird with the infrastructure intact but cars parked *everywhere* - there's plenty more room in the former car parks, but I assume if they left the oval empty then people might break in and night to race illegally!

https://www.google.com/maps/search/rock ... a=!3m1!1e3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Another look at the 500 car count from Pruett;

https://racer.com/2022/03/18/indy-500-e ... uck-on-32/

tl;dr
-Since the confirmation of Hildebrand in the #11, there has been no progress on any additional cars, which currently leaves the entry list 1 short of a full grid.
-None of the full-timers that are not already running extra cars have been persuaded to add to their stables for May.
-Pruett believes that Indycar will nudge one or two of those teams into action if necessary, either through adding their own cars or working with groups that need a bit of help.
-The two primary causes for the lack of entries are a general reduction in cars per team (3 full-time teams are running 1 fewer car for Indy this year compared to last), and the increased full-time car count (and therefore full-time staff) leading to a shortage of part-timers that could be brought in for May only.
-The most likely candidate to fill the field is Paretta Autosport, who have everything but a chassis. The next likeliest candidate is Cusick with Wilson, but they are still missing everything except a driver and a sack of money, and comparitively-speaking they are not a likely prospect at all.
-Time is running out, and both Paretta and Cusick may decide to pass on an entry entirely if they don't think they will be able to improve on last year's performance (31st and 33rd respectively).
-Top Gun are still very keen on coming back, but they no longer have a guaranteed engine lease, they don't have a driver, they don't have a complete budget, and they might not have a chassis either as the ownership conundrum between them and the Enersons remains unresolved.
-Out on the fringes are Team Stange (who entered Servia in 2018), another group trying to put together a team for Katherine Legge, and a mystery outfit who have told Pruett that they have a chassis and engine but need money.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This sounds like Pippa Mann territory, but even she wasn't able to put a budget together last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Indy Star reporting that Penske and SMI are trying to work out a deal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The quest for 33 continues.

https://racer.com/2022/04/04/options-na ... 500-entry/

tl;dr
-Meetings were held at Texas, led by Indycar, and more meetings will be held at Long Beach.
-Among the teams that have reportedly been approached and responded 'no' are Foyt, Coyne and Juncos. The lack of experienced staff available is cited as the biggest obstacle.
-The mooted Legge entry is off the table after an opportunity to lease a Honda-ready chassis fell through, as is a speculative entry in favour of Zach Veach, who had a sponsor withdraw.
-The wrangling between Top Gun and the Enersons continues and it seems much more likely than not that the team will not be in a position to enter the race.
-Which leaves 2 possibilities; Paretta and Cusick w\Wilson. But Paretta is now looking more seriously at a post-Indy assortment of races, leaving Cusick as the most likely candidate.
-Of course, if a Hail Mary at 11:59 is needed, Penske do have a 4th car in storage. There was even the floating of a Hinch-DCR combo, although this never went beyond being a concept.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wickens really provides an incredible breakdown of the impacts and what injuries they caused, and all the mental trauma afterwards.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next