TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If they still want a similar track in the schedule, they should tell Gossabe to shove it and head to Atlanta.

To be honest, I learned to love the IRL in the early '00s. I'd love to have some of that flavor back, with more cookie cutters ovals in the calendar.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:41 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

RtN wrote:
The final word on the quality of the racing.

Unnamed Driver wrote:
That NASCAR shit ruined the track and any chance we had to put on a decent show. We need to make sure that shit is gone before we run there again. And the tires were awful but Firestone was worried about blistering so we get it – just made for a terrible show.

https://racer.com/2020/06/10/robin-mill ... acing-hpd/

This unnamed driver was definitely paul tracy and I claim my 10$

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:07 pm 

I think any track that uses that traction compound is suspect now, because I'm doubtful they will apply it right for Indycar. Pocono is another track that is using that compound, so as much as the tradition folks love that track I'm glad Pocono was ditched for now. MIS and Phoenix likewise use the traction compound these days, I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:17 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

It's no co incidence that this compound is used on repaved tracks. They never produce any decent racing for years afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:37 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
That Turn 1 is one of the worst corners I have ever seen on an oval track.

It's actually impressive what they managed to do. The widest corner possible with the narrowest groove possible. Absolute fucking trainwreck of a corner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:07 am 

It's not just that but the angle you have to cut down into the corner takes the air away from the car behind.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:34 pm 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

mclaren2008 wrote:
The Texas Motor Speedway racing surface is an absolute debacle in every way possible. Eddie Gossage as usual is oblivious to the mess he created. That Turn 1 is one of the worst corners I have ever seen on an oval track.

Honestly I hope they never go back. Milwaukee would be much more deserving of a race.

While that's completely true, there need t be other superspeedways besides Indy. Therefore Michigan, Pocono and Fontana > Milwauke, sorry.
Also I don't actually see how Pocono is more dangerous than Texas anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:18 pm 

Oh yes please bring back Pocono and Fontana

Michigan needs less downforce to be safe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think we can all agree any race at Las Vegas would be a bad, and pointless, idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maybe if you remove the wings completely?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think any oval could work for IndyCar if they manage to get the proper aero-power-tyre configuration.

We all know that Open Wheel pack racing is produced by a high-downforce/low-power/tyres-solid-as-rocks combination. A low downforce/high power combination, with the proper tyre, can lead to cool racing that, to me, isn't more dangerous than what we could see at Indianapolis or Pocono.

With this cars, I'd mandate an Indy qualifying setup for this races. Wings as flat as possible and the increased boost.

Maybe with a Hanford-esque device. :whistling:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:34 pm 

I would absolutly love a handfordest device.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Beezle wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
The Texas Motor Speedway racing surface is an absolute debacle in every way possible. Eddie Gossage as usual is oblivious to the mess he created. That Turn 1 is one of the worst corners I have ever seen on an oval track.

Honestly I hope they never go back. Milwaukee would be much more deserving of a race.

While that's completely true, there need t be other superspeedways besides Indy. Therefore Michigan, Pocono and Fontana > Milwauke, sorry.
Also I don't actually see how Pocono is more dangerous than Texas anyway.

didn't Bourdais say he preferred Pocono (when not using chicken wire and scrapes to fix the fence) over Texas as TMS has the fence poles in front of the catchfence wire meshing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

im doing a watch through of this season and yea this race was pretty shite. not surprised nascar fucked over another series, although that usually happened in acquisition (see slow demise of cascar>pintys series).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

When watching the torrent of this race, I never was so happy to just skip ahead during the side-by-side. Felt like I was getting 1 extra week of lifetime.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

it got interesting at the end with lap traffic but the compound ruined a lot of the potential passing we could have had

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:25 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
When watching the torrent of this race, I never was so happy to just skip ahead during the side-by-side. Felt like I was getting 1 extra week of lifetime.

I know this might come off as spoiled/entitled, but it kinda irks me that, even though I've paid for the NBC Sports Gold package, I still have to watch the side by side and full commercial breaks. (full commercial breaks just go a static screen saying they will return in a moment) I get that the package comes with other perks but usually with any other video subscription you pay for, the commercials are gone. (NHRA.tv for example, buuuut their service was $130 this year I believe while Indycar's is just $50 for the year) Am I just being whiny about this or does anyone else feel that way too?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:31 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

sennadesillva wrote:
Soul Reaver wrote:

I know this might come off as spoiled/entitled, but it kinda irks me that, even though I've paid for the NBC Sports Gold package, I still have to watch the side by side and full commercial breaks. (full commercial breaks just go a static screen saying they will return in a moment) I get that the package comes with other perks but usually with any other video subscription you pay for, the commercials are gone. (NHRA.tv for example, buuuut their service was $130 this year I believe while Indycar's is just $50 for the year) Am I just being whiny about this or does anyone else feel that way too?

No, it'd be the number 1 reason I'd pay for PPV tv of any kind. The onboards, practice sessions or whatever else should be bonus extras, uninterrupted race feeds should be it's USP

Like Sky Sports here in the UK. You could be a fully paid up subscriber on their highest tier sports package, but now you have to pay an extra £11 to watch ONE premiership football match
There'l literally no end to their price gouging.

But they know they have people by the balls so from their point of view their happy to do the minimum effort and take your money.
To give the subscribers a clean, advertless feed would require them having to employ someone to switch between feeds and maybe a commentator to cover the silent parts, and that'd affect their profit margins, so nope, not happening.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

the amount of commercial breaks is absurd and usually interrupt the action (even with torrent versions that skip the ads since that still adds extra minutes of the commentators having to state they'll be back and then coming back with additional sponsor plugs). i'm spoiled by other series like btcc and motogp, which is how broadcasts should be done

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's happening everywhere, Foxtel in Aus used to be ad-free for paying subscribers but those days are long gone, YouTube Red is now trialling ads to paid accounts, even full-price games like NBA Live and MMA are showing in-game ads now. Would be nice if consumer rights had some interest in this trend. In the meantime it just encourages me to illegally torrent or IPTV everything I can.