TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 37
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:49 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gabriel wrote:
And if it’s some kind of indication, the guy who signed a pretty female driver of questionable talent, was Dan Anderson with Carmen Jorda.

I don't think Emma Kimiläinen falls in the "questionable talent" category, she got pole position in 2008 Formula ADAC Masters and was crashed out on lap one by Kevin Magnussen. She was 2nd in the second race that weekend while Magnussen was disqualified. Kimiläinen continued to Formula Palmer Audi for 2009 and was 5th in overall standings after 4th place finisher Tristan Vautier.

Too bad there isn't much in the youtube of her career from that era, but she did look promising and that particular era was difficult to break through for any Finns in motorsports due the lack of sponsorship. I'd say that between Valtteri Bottas and Kimi Räikkönen, she made pretty far. Only Aaro Vainio made it to become similar level, but he made it to GP3 for 2011, so he got his international career started slightly better time and with way better backing.

Now, Sam Schmidt Motorsports did lose Ana Beatriz to IndyCar from Indy Lights, so it's plausible this could have been the team.

Aaaand Playboy did a photoshoot with "IZOD pit girls" in 2010...
http://morefrontwing.com/2010/08/22/the-playboy-argument/

...but then again it doesn't seem that daring, I'd compare those photos to Sports Illustrated swimsuit numbers...and those ladies are not racing drivers in those photos.

I don't know. Interesting story never the less.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
And if it’s some kind of indication, the guy who signed a pretty female driver of questionable talent, was Dan Anderson with Carmen Jorda.

I don't think Emma Kimiläinen falls in the "questionable talent" category

She doesn't. I said it to make the difference between signing a good female talent, and signing a female driver that has shown nothing on track, but can be very marketable because of her looks.

I guess every racing team in the world, would dream to get their hands on (heh) a good looking woman with talent. She'd surely attract sponsors, and get results.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aaaanyway, back on topic for a bit

https://racer.com/2020/12/29/indycar-co ... -rollouts/

Can't say I'm either surprised, disappointed or content

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:16 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Gabriel wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

I don't think Emma Kimiläinen falls in the "questionable talent" category

She doesn't. I said it to make the difference between signing a good female talent, and signing a female driver that has shown nothing on track, but can be very marketable because of her looks.

I guess every racing team in the world, would dream to get their hands on (heh) a good looking woman with talent. She'd surely attract sponsors, and get results.

Yep, just another Danica. All about the sex appeal. Running a lap down is of secondary importance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:06 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I saw this over on racer, thought it'd be good for some off season fun. Marshall Pruett had a post about made up 2020 Indycar awards. Here's the catagories listed and who I thought deserves each one. I know I don't remember every little thing that happened so I'd love to hear what you guys think too. Here's his post https://racer.com/2020/12/29/the-week-i ... ward-show/ and on to the list.

The Golden Bowling Ball Award (driver who took out the most cars across 14 races):
All I can think of when bowling ball is said is the start at Gateway lol. I can't think of anyone specific who was a constant moving chicane the entire season except maybe Kellett, Carpenter or Veach but still they weren't in a ton of accidents.

The Virtual Golden Bowling Ball Award (driver who caused the most mayhem in the IndyCar iRacing challenge):
Obviously Pagenaud for his childish move with Lando Norris.

Favorite Broadcast Moment (TV or radio):
I always enjoy all the historical stuff they do during Indy. There was also PT swearing or just being PT several times this year. And other drivers (like Dale Jr.) stepping into the sim races this year was pretty cool as well.

Invisible Award (the driver who, more often than not, you forgot was in the race):
This one varies per race for me. Like i said earlier Veach and Kellett spent most of the season in the back not often talked about. It also depends on the coverage too. Sometimes it seems like they forgot about people running in the top 5 while making sure to emphasize, for the 16th time that race, that THIS track is the toughest, most physically demanding of the season. (I wish someone would make a compilation of every time they said it during an entire season rofl)

Comeback Team or Driver of the Year:
I didnt feel like anybody this year had a huge "comeback" situation. The closest thing I can think of would be Hinch just overcoming getting screwed out of his ride and also the progress that Wickens has made this past year, physically.

Best Livery:
This one is hard as well, a lot of cars looked really good this year. I always love Powers car with the reds on, Ericcson's car always looks good. Too many one off/Indy liveries to narrow it down to just one for me.

Favorite Sim Racing Comments (who said what that won’t soon be forgotten?):
Could this one be anything other than "Let's take Lando out!" (see video from earlier in the post)

Best Pass:
Eh too many to narrow down, someone else pick this one for me haha. One off the top of my head was Herta at the Harvest GP.

Most 2020 Thing of the 2020 Season:
Marco frantically trying to get track workers to restart his car in the middle of the St. Pete indycar junkyard so he wouldn't lose out on the last spot in the Leader Circle standings. Couldn't find a vid of it but it was shown during the broadcast.

Best Race:
Mid-Ohio and Road America were great. While not a huge fan of his, it was pretty cool to see Simon Pagenaud come from last to win at Iowa

Breakout IndyCar Driver of the Year:
I would say Palou or O'ward. I honestly didn't expect either of them to end up where they did in the standings, especially for Palou after his horrible weekend in Texas to start the season.

Breakout Road To Indy Driver of the Year:
Unfortunately I didn't catch enough of the lower series' this year to give a pick here :(

Favorite News item:
Jimmie Johnson and Scott McGlaughlin coming over full time next year along with Bourdais returning. Montoya signing for the 2021 Indy 500 with Mclaren. New track for 2021 in Nashville. Hinch landing a ride for some races

Most Hated News Item:
Alonso wasn't coming over full time this year. Hinch getting screwed out of his ride. Anything that got kicked to the side because of covid. (alonso, johnson and mcglaughlin not running more/any races. I'm sure there was a ton of other deals that fell through as well.)

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (your pick–driver, team, race, etc.):
I wouldn't say HE was a disappointment, but more rather that I was disappointed in what went down with Oliver Askew (and hinch). Another for me would be Dalton Kellett. I get that he's in Foyt equipment but they are mostly there for Indy but he still finished 31st there. Not to mention, just look at what Bourdais was able to do at St. Pete with the same team. I know someone is going to say they were disappointed in the 500 finishing under caution but I was fine with that and didn't see what else they could do at that point.

The Juan Pablo Montoya ‘It Is What It Is’ Award (driver who, at the end of the day, used the most clichés in interviews):
Power is always full of the cheesy cliches, especially with the up and down season he had. Actually I feel like all the Penske drivers use them a lot, maybe it's how the Penske PR team trains them? lol. I sorta remember Marco dropping a few too while trying to play it cool at Indy this year.

Person of the Year (driver who did the most to help others):
Indycar, typically, hasn't been as ruthless between teammates as F1 can get. There really isn't a bottas/barichello type wingman setup (maybe a couple races you could say Rosenqvist played it easy around Dixon) so I'm giving this one to the entire Andretti team. They has a miserable season and toward the end of the season it felt to me that all the Andretti teams were doing whatever they could to help one another out in hopes that some one could unlock some success and luck.

Save of the Year:
No doubt what so ever about this one! Will Power drifting through the last corner of the Harvest GP and keeping it just inches off the wall. I couldn't find a clip of just the save but it is in the highlight video below. Start at about 11:15 in.

I'm sure I've forgotten moments over this season, so I'm looking forward to everyone's picks for these.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The Emma Kimilainen story has made it to the main page of a major NZ news website, although as usual they've just gone for the sensationalist aspect of the story and haven't given any actual details

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/motors ... IWUZBZ5ZQ/

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Coyne expects to have his drivers signed by the middle of January. Fittipaldi still top of the list but he is also a fan of Kvyat.

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/ ... next-month

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:09 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Aldo Andretti has passed away at the age 80 :(
https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2020/ ... -andretti/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:46 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Someone posted this over on reddit. Took me a second to see it........

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:32 pm 

:8:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:37 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Extreme angle of the steering wheel to go straight.
Offset caster setting. I can't imagen he drove like this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:28 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh ya, for sure he didn't drive the whole lap like this. It was the close call he had in qually where the rear came lose real quick. Just an insane screen grab with his hands like that and the speedo reading 230mph.

hmm now it's got me thinking about my earlier post. This might have been the best save of 2020 over Power's during the Harvest GP.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I believe he just came out of T3 and his rear stepped out for a mom. Still impressive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looks like he didn't even lift :8:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gotta put the big boy pants on when qualifying at Indy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:34 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Hmmm David Land is reporting that St. Pete could possibly be pushed back until April.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:12 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Miller talked about the St. Pete moving to Long Beach's old slot rumor for a week or 2 ago

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:33 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Not a bad call IMO. St. Pete usually has a 3 week gap just after it, closing that is only beneficial.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:05 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

It's official now, Barber opens the season with St. Pete being rescheduled for April 25th.
https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2021/ ... tner=Yahoo

Hmmm, who wants to start a 2021 thread? lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
https://racer.com/2021/01/06/longtime-i ... s-aged-91/
Legendary team owner Pat Patrick passed away aged 91

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 37