TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36 37 Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:27 pm 

Helio always lacked consistency

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

thestig88 wrote:
Helio always lacked consistency

Yeah that is pretty much why he did so poorly in 2000 and 2001 relative to Gil. The competition was HUGE those two years though. Loved those years of CART. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:21 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The only championship Helio has ever won was a Brazilian karting championship........in 1989 at the age of 14. Yes, there is a chance that he could win the IMSA one this year but even then it will be co-champion. Despite driving full time for 17 years with Penske equipment he could only finish second. I've always been puzzled as to how he stayed in top equipment for so long.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:29 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

codename_47 wrote:
Yay, 6 more races of jump start and tax-avoidance jokes :whistling:

Seriously tho, the dude is old. I guess he's resorted to pay driving now but he still makes boneheaded moves in IMSA so I don't expect anything different in INDYCAR

And he'll never get his 3rd Indy Win and he knows it

He already has his 3rd Indy win

Or have I walked into a Crapwagon joke?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:53 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Hook, line, sinker, rod and copy of angling times, sir. :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:59 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I assume that refers to the 2002 race that Paul Tracy (should have) won.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

sennadesillva wrote:
I assume that refers to the 2002 race that Paul Tracy (should have) won.

That was such bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I didn't follow the 2002 race when it happened and wasn't really across the controversy. But since we're in this era of people protesting results but not necessarily providing evidence to back up the protest, I was interested to see what Tracy's case for the win was. From what I've gathered on wikipedia:
  • Helio was in the lead when the yellow was called, and says he was in the lead when the yellow flag light flashed in his cockpit
  • Tracy says the yellow lights came on on the track after he completed the pass
  • Supposedly this video backs Tracy, but it's about as clear to me as as evidence of Bigfoot
  • Even Tracy admits that Helio's dash light may have come on before the track light due to response times between different transponders
  • If we assume it did then it's unfair to point to the track lights if Helio's dash light directed him to slow earlier
  • Overall there isn't any definitive evidence that the track was green for all involved competitors when Tracy made his pass

But none of this seems to matter and it seems all anyone talks about is the idea IRL didn't want a CART team winning and did whatever it took to block Tracy. Considering how tight the call was, I'd say any political motive conspiracy theories have a much smaller part to play here than just the fact that it was a milisecond chain of events in a time when scoring and caution light technology was pretty poor. But as usual, the conspiracy theory will get a lot more mileage than trying to look at the facts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:01 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's because Team Green had a pretty open and shut case at the time (forget the details now, but it was something to do with the difference between the intention to call a yellow in race control and the time it took for the yellow to be displayed on the raceway) and the IRL paniced and suddenly said it was an unprotestable result

Basically, taking the CART/IRL thing out of it, Team Green had better lawyers and would've won the case, but the IRL didn't want the result changing the week after the race and shut it down.

Tracy won that race, but as ever in that Era of open wheel racing, the bad guys were in charge and made sure their guy won

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Basically, taking the CART/IRL thing out of it, Team Green had better lawyers and would've won the case, but the IRL didn't want the result changing the week after the race and shut it down.

Tracy won that race, but as ever in that Era of open wheel racing, the bad guys were in charge and made sure their guy won

Like I said, why back your argument with facts when you can back it with imagined political intrigue. Where's the actual evidence that aligns with the rules as they were written, that says Tracy won that race and Helio has no claim to the win?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:37 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

@
Philthy82
: Do you think it has to be proven, that the track was green for the pass to stick or do you think that someone would have to proof it was yellow for making it llegal?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:12 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Tony George had the veto power and he didn't want the CART guys beating his series

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:25 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Philthy82 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Like I said, why back your argument with facts when you can back it with imagined political intrigue. Where's the actual evidence that aligns with the rules as they were written, that says Tracy won that race and Helio has no claim to the win?

It's nearly 20 years later, I don't really care that much bar the memes and hazing on a 45 year old guy who had an underwhelming career and wasn't as good as he thinks he was.

To your point, Team Green had all the proof and they were ready to argue it in court, so they weren't even releasing all their data to the public.
They didn't get a chance to because the IRL suddenly said it was an unprotestable decision despite arranging the protest date initially

I get you're being devil's advocate, show me the evidence guy, but when you think about basic human nature and behaviour, it's obvious what happened.

Of course, these days it's impossible for it to happen with timing loops, telemetry and all that stuff.
TBH it shouldn't have happened then either, it's not like this was the 1970s, but the IRL was always behind in that regard.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:04 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Crazy cheap sale over at the IMS site. Tons of die casts and other items as low as $3. Thought someone might be interested either for themselves or for christmas gifts.
https://shop.ims.com/collections/indycar-sale?page=1#

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wish I could, but no shipping to Poland :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:30 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Not sure why this is a thing but all the Team Penske drivers had a dodgeball match in one of their shop garages.....and while wearing their race suits :lol:

Part 2

Part 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There will be 4 Ganassi cars at every round with TK in Johnson's car for the ovals.

https://racer.com/2020/11/23/chip-ganas ... -48-entry/

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:37 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

sennadesillva wrote:
Crazy cheap sale over at the IMS site. Tons of die casts and other items as low as $3. Thought someone might be interested either for themselves or for christmas gifts.
https://shop.ims.com/collections/indycar-sale?page=1#

Nice, just picked up some t-shirts for $3

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:41 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It'll be interesting to see how TK does with some decent equipment. His last few seasons were unspectacular, but that might be because of the Foyt cars (his team mates also struggled, and he comfortably beat Leist in 2018 and 19).

Ganassi are really going for veteran drivers. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it will be difficult for Johnson to get up to speed.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36 37 Next