TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3941 Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
ah Laguna Seca instead of Sonoma, finally a traditional IndyCar venue to close championship

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

All it needs is Cleveland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Disappointed about losing Pheonix though, Has always been one of my favorite ovals although I do feel the changes they made a couple years ago kinda ruined the place a bit. The changes to the banking, Widening of the track & more open corners may be good for Nascar but they took away a chunk of the challenge of the place work well for the Indycar’s.

I'd like to see 1-2 more shorter ovals on the schedule, New Hampshire & Milwaukee or something similar. I'd say Nazareth but I hear there planning to turn it into a housing complex in the next few years :cry:

I also really wish they would stop having Detroit as a double header as I hate that track.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

CoTA looking at a modified layout for IndyCar race
https://racer.com/2018/09/04/cota-evalu ... r-indycar/

Indy Lights, Pro Mazda & USF2000 will support the CoTA race weekend.
http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/blo ... ta-in-2019

-

this is off-topic from general IndyCar discussion but figured I'd post anyway:

Conor Daly will be racing in this week's BC39 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
http://www.usacracing.com/news/item/751 ... 9-sept-5-6

StefMeister wrote:
Disappointed about losing Pheonix though, Has always been one of my favorite ovals although I do feel the changes they made a couple years ago kinda ruined the place a bit. The changes to the banking, Widening of the track & more open corners may be good for Nascar but they took away a chunk of the challenge of the place work well for the Indycar’s.

I'd like to see 1-2 more shorter ovals on the schedule, New Hampshire & Milwaukee or something similar. I'd say Nazareth but I hear there planning to turn it into a housing complex in the next few years :cry:

I also really wish they would stop having Detroit as a double header as I hate that track.

Richmond is still in the cards for 2020, that's the best bet for another short oval. I could see Loudon being possible again some day. Milwaukee isn't happening unless the Fair board gets a promoter for the track. Nazareth wouldn't happen even if it was in raceable condition due to the deed clauses, and the same for Pikes Peak (competition clauses that ISC put in place, Pikes Peak for a failed Colorado track project & Nazareth for WGI & the failed Staten Island project + NASCAR races at Pocono). The only other mile tracks aren't feasible unless they were upgraded or reconfigured presently.

Main things that hurt Phoenix (and WGI, and other oval tracks over the last 10 years) is lack of promotion. Mix that with the on-track product from the first couple of years and it's destined for failure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Beezle wrote:
Sept. 22 — WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, Calif.

That's only a week after IMSA's event there. Probably doesn't benefit either series.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

Brawn hints there are plans within McLaren to send Stoffel to IndyCar alongside Fernando.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 am 

Nazareth has been demolished if I recall.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thestig88 wrote:
Nazareth has been demolished if I recall.

Not quiet, but it has been left to rot:

The property has been sold to a real estate developer and there is a non-compete clause which means all the time Pocono Raceway operates, there will be no racing at Nazareth. The plan is to build houses on it, but I guess the developer has just do ne a land grab on it and will re-sell it when the property market picks up again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm 

From Millers Mailbag on Racer.com:

https://racer.com/2018/09/05/robin-mill ... ing-hpd/4/

Q: So you recently wrote that you are sitting on a story that is going to make every IndyCar fan very happy. So is that in reference to COTA in 2019, or is there something else on the horizon we can look forward to?

Jim, Indy

RM: Oh no, something much better, and it will surface in the next month.

This COULD be Alfa or Genesis (Kia) joining in. Or something completely different. Or just McLaren and Alonso.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Beezle wrote:
From Millers Mailbag on Racer.com:

https://racer.com/2018/09/05/robin-mill ... ing-hpd/4/

Q: So you recently wrote that you are sitting on a story that is going to make every IndyCar fan very happy. So is that in reference to COTA in 2019, or is there something else on the horizon we can look forward to?

Jim, Indy

RM: Oh no, something much better, and it will surface in the next month.

This COULD be Alfa or Genesis (Kia) joining in. Or something completely different. Or just McLaren and Alonso.

MAYBE THE INDY 500 BECOMES THE INDY 1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Alonso & McLaren joining full time or a new engine supplier coming in would be big stories but I don't think there things that would make every fan very happy.

It sounds more like a fan favorite track coming back or maybe some sort of change to the car that would be super popular. Only thing I can think of would be Cleveland returning as that's been a regular fan request since the merger in 2008.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Will be interesting to see what it is. Wouldn't think a track would be announced this early for 2020 unless there was some major capital improvements planned, or wasn't ready for 2019 but can be for 2020. Maybe a surprise driver announcement for the 500? I don't think it's about Fred / McLaren given how much is truly known presently (testing at Barber today). Wonder if it's something on the title sponsorship front, or something that NBC is doing.

deggis wrote:
Beezle wrote:
Sept. 22 — WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, Calif.

That's only a week after IMSA's event there. Probably doesn't benefit either series.

Sanctioning fee was supposedly lower when on the week before or after. Both series can't fit their weekends together presently on the support side, but if the could merge the weekends it would be the best for all parties. NBC might have a say though as well, as it means either wall to wall TV time or not having to transport TV equipment for 2 weeks if they work between IMS Productions & NASCAR Productions (as the series use separate TV productions crews)

-

RoY points standings spoiler
Spoiler:
Wickens clinched RoY honors last week at Portland despite being out

Veach's only shot was podiums at all 3 races after Pocono plus some bonus points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Alonso is testing at Barber today in an Andretti Autosport prepared car.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hopefully Gordon hasn't given them too much trouble.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fred having fun.

One thing I notice is, except Sunoco, Verizon and Firestone, no other sponsor or supplier is on the car. Makes me think the engine conundrum is the only thing standing in the way of this being a done deal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Anyone else getting a 1991 Jordan vibe from that color scheme?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Same color scheme Munoz ran at Indy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:25 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

StefMeister wrote:

That's literally been the problem with most ovals in america, big or small

Indycars work best on flatter ovals, Stock cars race better with banking (look at how terrible Indy is for them as an event. the Brickyard 500 brings them prestige but as a racing event it's a non-entity)

Most ovals repaved in favour of NASCAR within the last 20 years because thats what brought them the fans, but it had the side effect of making them unusable for Indycar
Las Vegas being a good example of that and why Indycar should never have gone there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:59 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's fucking criminal that Nazareth is in the state it's in. That track represents such a gorgeous piece of CART history and is a one of a kind track, globally. Someone with deep pockets needs to resurrect it. I'd have thought the Andrettis of all people would do so but maybe it really is impossible.

It's a much better track than Pocono for IndyCar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/09/09 ... arber-test

Quote:
Alonso participated in a short question-and-answer session during the test:

Q: Talk a little bit about your experience today. You kind of got experience with two things in the car: wet, a little bit wet and dry, right?

“Yeah, it was a good day, a fun day. I love to test new cars and to test the Indy car on a road course is something special. I’ve been lucky enough to test it in wet conditions, in intermediate conditions and in dry conditions, so overall I had a good feeling on every type of track. The weather was good for us today – a little bit of wind in the afternoon but overall a positive day.”

Q: You’ve now driven on a superspeedway and a road course. Which one do you prefer?

“Probably my instinct will tell me road course because it’s what I’ve been used to doing all my life, but the Indy 500 was an amazing experience, so 50/50. I think I love the way the car feels on a road course, but I love the way you compete on ovals, timing the tows, traffic and all the overtaking maneuvers I think are a little bit easy on the ovals, so in terms of track action, I loved the Indy 500.”

Q: Do you call this kind of a bucket list item for you just getting to drive different things and new experiences?

“Yeah, definitely. It was something that I was looking for last year already. I had some options to test the car on a road course after the Indy 500. We didn’t find the time but this year it’s definitely happened now and I’m happy for this. I love being behind a steering wheel, and definitely a new car, a new experience, learning a lot of things from the team, the engineers, everyone, so a happy day.”

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3941 Next