TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2742 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[tweet]https://twitter.com/juncosracing/status/1130558424293543942[/tweet]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

racer612008 wrote:

Quote:
* A week before Alonso’s first test in the car, the team realized it didn’t even have a steering wheel.

* McLaren purchased a car from technical partner Carlin, and though the car was orange when McLaren received it, it was not the proper McLaren “papaya orange.” It had to be repainted after the test, and that still had not been completed when Alonso crashed his McLaren-built car last Wednesday.

* His first qualifying run was sabotaged by a tire puncture — which wasn’t detected beforehand because Brown said the team had purchased incorrect tire sensors.

* Alonso went out to practice Sunday with an entirely new setup, but in the frantic changeover a mistake was made in converting inches to the metric system the English team uses and the car scraped and sparked on his first lap.

* McLaren discovered after the qualifying run that the car had the wrong gear ratio setup.

:slaphead:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:57 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

It takes skill to fuck up that badly.

Sent from my Umidigi One Max using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Quote:
* A week before Alonso’s first test in the car, the team realized it didn’t even have a steering wheel.

Something tells me this wouldn't have happened if Ron Dennis was still in charge.

Quote:
* McLaren purchased a car from technical partner Carlin, and though the car was orange when McLaren received it, it was not the proper McLaren “papaya orange.” It had to be repainted after the test, and that still had not been completed when Alonso crashed his McLaren-built car last Wednesday.

Um...

Quote:
* His first qualifying run was sabotaged by a tire puncture — which wasn’t detected beforehand because Brown said the team had purchased incorrect tire sensors.

Are we sure this is McLaren we're talking about?

Quote:
* Alonso went out to practice Sunday with an entirely new setup, but in the frantic changeover a mistake was made in converting inches to the metric system the English team uses and the car scraped and sparked on his first lap.

I hope these guys don't do anything involving planes. That's the kind of error that would crash a plane.

Quote:
* McLaren discovered after the qualifying run that the car had the wrong gear ratio setup.

Yeah, definitely not Ron Dennis's McLaren anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:50 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ah, it was clear they were not prepared. And they partnered with a below-average supplier.
These details are quite embarrassing though.

All part of the drama of the month of May though!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

deggis wrote:
racer612008 wrote:

Quote:

:slaphead:

Holy crap. There's a small comment from Brown passing some of the blame to Carlin for taking on too much and not having enough resources to support them too, but... really? Wow.

The only small positive thing I've read in a linked story is that McLaren offered to buy Alonso into the race, and it was Alonso who told them it wouldn't be right.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joe A wrote:
Quote:

Something tells me this wouldn't have happened if Ron Dennis was still in charge.

Quote:

Um...

Quote:

Are we sure this is McLaren we're talking about?

Quote:

I hope these guys don't do anything involving planes. That's the kind of error that would crash a plane.

Quote:

Yeah, definitely not Ron Dennis's McLaren anymore.

Yeah, err no, this is the improved, better, fastest car on the grid, nothing ever their fault, Zack Brown McLaren now.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

racer612008 wrote:

Yep, that confirms it: McLaren is now the biggest lolcow of motorsport.

That takes effort to fuck up that badly.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I will forever be thankful to the McLaren team for giving us the Kyle Kaiser last-minute bump because, let's admit it, this is the kind of story you love to see at Indy.

Is 1.8 seconds difference (the pace difference between fastest and slowest qualifier) close enough to allow everyone to remain in the lead lap thanks to slipstream? That would be a first. It would be terrifying, but it would be a first.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:23 pm 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

After all I heard this month: the slipstream only helps the 2nd and maybe 3rd car in line. Everyone behind will be slowed down by dirty air.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:39 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Coldtyre wrote:
I will forever be thankful to the McLaren team for giving us the Kyle Kaiser last-minute bump because, let's admit it, this is the kind of story you love to see at Indy.

It kinda is a David beats the Goliath story of the Bump Day 2019, but with all the McLaren/Carlin mistakes it's more like "an underdog makes it to the race, while the Goliath beats himself up"

And I'll put this more equally on both Carlin and McLaren. While it might sound picky from McLaren to want the spare car repainted, they requested it in April. When Alonso crashed the main car, the spare was at the paintshop unfinished.

You could argue that had Alonso not crashed in practice, they could have made it to the race, but this is Indy. There's a reason why even the smallest teams have back up cars that some test actively. The moment Alonso's crashed car stopped and it was obvious he's OK, Marshall Pruett said that their backup is not nearly as good as their prime car. And while they missed testing, bought setup and worked in a hurry, the bottom line is that they missed the race because they were not prepared and were too cocky about how simple IndyCar is compared to F1 and how they are going to take the Triple Crown just like that.

For me this is a great story for the IndyCar to tell. You don't just come and conquer the greatest spectacle in racing so easily.

I kinda understand why Fernando didn't want to get a seat by purchasing someone's spot in the grid - after that setup conversion mistake he probably didn't feel too comfortable to push it any further this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:00 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Does any one know where i can actually watch bump day/fast nine coverage? The assholes at Indycar take down anything online and also still haven't made it available on NBC Gold. There big thing for subscribing was how you'll get to see all the coverage at Indy and then they refuse to post the most important session of the month.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sennadesillva wrote:
Does any one know where i can actually watch bump day/fast nine coverage? The assholes at Indycar take down anything online and also still haven't made it available on NBC Gold. There big thing for subscribing was how you'll get to see all the coverage at Indy and then they refuse to post the most important session of the month.

Torrents here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotorsportsRep ... unning_of/

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:37 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

pending wrote:
I was just reading that, and holy shit, if all of that is true, they should make a movie about it.

And although it's a nice read, and one could appreciate Brown's apparent honesty, I cannot help but put his professionalism into question and wonder if he's about to be axed. I always believed in big companies, managers (from CEO's downward) should never appoint blame, but accept failure. All the people who fucked up, are there because his organization made it possible to for them to be there. I would never expect the CEO's from Penske, Ganassi or Andretti to make this sort of information public.

"I don’t want the world to think McLaren is a bunch of idiots," says man explaining in great detail exactly why McLaren is a bunch of idiots

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:
pending wrote:
I was just reading that, and holy shit, if all of that is true, they should make a movie about it.

And although it's a nice read, and one could appreciate Brown's apparent honesty, I cannot help but put his professionalism into question and wonder if he's about to be axed. I always believed in big companies, managers (from CEO's downward) should never appoint blame, but accept failure. All the people who fucked up, are there because his organization made it possible to for them to be there. I would never expect the CEO's from Penske, Ganassi or Andretti to make this sort of information public.

"I don’t want the world to think McLaren is a bunch of idiots," says man explaining in great detail exactly why McLaren is a bunch of idiots

When it's one or two issues, those can be put down as isolated incidents. When it's a string of continuous problems then that's a trend. Any organisation that has systemic trends of issues will always look at leadership and management for answers. The buck stops at the top. But in that interview Brown absolves himself of any responsibility and comes across as a complete dick in the process by blaming everyone else.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

just looked on Weather.com

forecast not looking that good for Carb Day or the Little 500 / Legends Day

iffy for Hoosier Hundred depending on how much it rains on Wednesday & Thursday AM

Sunday still calling scattered thunderstorms - like usual in Indiana though

hopefully Mother Nature will spare us this week for those in Indiana, given how much shit she's given to the midwest & east coast so far this spring

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
they should do like in the old days and anticipate one week in case of bad weather forecast

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Beezle wrote:
After all I heard this month: the slipstream only helps the 2nd and maybe 3rd car in line. Everyone behind will be slowed down by dirty air.

That is my worry. I don't want to see pack racing and the cars being easily flat out all race, but I also don't want to see the cars struggling to get close to each other, with a lot of silly accidents caused by cars washing up the track. Hopefully it will be somewhere in the middle - cars on the edge, but able to get close in the corners.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:47 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

In his Mailbag Miller predicted it being largely the same as last year, but maybe the "new tyres" will help....

What does he mean by "new tyres"?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2742 Next