TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:
James B wrote:

Edo and Alex's friends and relatives don't need to see what's happening

Then they better stop broadcasting racing if every serious crash gets censored, this is a worrying trend. Cancel culture. Everything mildly shocking or offensive gets censored these days.

Respectfully, this is reactionary horse shit. TV broadcasters have always had a vested interest in not sending live injury and death into peoples homes. TBK literally exists because videos of serious and fatal crashes are frequently either not caught on a broadcast or not shown. Most broadcasters didn't linger at the scene of Senna's crash, which was now decades ago.

Aside from the fact that cameras didn't even pick up the second part of the accident (because they were following the first part), they did go a bit conservative if he did actually get out of the car unaided, but the sensible middle ground is between your opinion and theirs, not with you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:38 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

A few inches from ending up in the catchfencing and spreading car parts throughout Diriyah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He was actually quite lucky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:01 pm 
Your Stream Sucks
Your Stream Sucks

He was very very lucky. That could have been a lot of worse.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
damn catchfencing, that's some dangerous stuff

another argument to make Formula E try a shot on permanent road courses, at least short layouts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:24 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

LucasWheldon wrote:
damn catchfencing, that's some dangerous stuff

another argument to make Formula E try a shot on permanent road courses, at least short layouts

You know they're literally branding it yesterday with the tagline "Electric Street racing"
so good luck with that

The accident though, so close to being a Jeff Krosnoff and it's all on Mitch Evans on blocking like an arsehole on a car that already had a run on him
Again, this needs stamping out across motorsport.

Also, 20 mins after Formula E got called "cancel culture", the actually went and tracked down the street CCTV camera and officially released it on their social media channels now they know the driver is fine, something no other racing series has ever done to my knowledge.
(I'm thinking there was CCTV of a blowover on a Le Mans test day once but I doubt it was officially released by the ACO)
So yeah, they handled the situation 100% correctly in my opinion, with a bonus of actually showing the footage instead of sitting on it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
So yeah, they handled the situation 100% correctly in my opinion, with a bonus of actually showing the footage instead of sitting on it.

No, they didn't. I don't have a problem with the TV direction not showing the scene of the accident as long as there is no confirmation that the drivers involved are OK. BUT they basically completely ignored that this incident actually happened. I had no clue what was going on and thought "why are they red flagging it for this minor incident from Günther??".
And it it quite stunning that the first source that indicated another more serious accident was a video from a spectator that was posted on twitter...
And it quite cynical that a championship is basically doing everything to ensure action and drama during a race is censoring an accident in the first place and is starting to milk it by showing the footage afterwards anyway to receive attention. If you have moral concerns to show a very big accident then stick with it. Fine. But they will probably caption it with something like "BIGGEST CRASH EVER" as they always tend to do with their social media presence.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:24 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

We're not owed a replay of a potentially fatal crash before we know the circumstances or not. Nor a shot of an accident scene or anything.

Wait until there is more concrete news, then show the replay.
The fact was we didn't know his condition until after the broadcast was over so their hands were tied there

I don't see any difference between what Formula E did to something like the Bianchi accident, which at the time we didn't realise was anything more than Sutil's crash and thought maybe the red flag was for weather. It's fairly standard in serious accidents

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
We're not owed a replay of a potentially fatal crash before we know the circumstances or not. Nor a shot of an accident scene or anything.

It is a responsibility of a broadcaster to at least give the audience some form of information what happened or which driver was involved or whatever. No one asks for slowmotion replays and tons of angles and so on. Yesterday there was nothing.
And as I said the only source for eveyone was this twitter video. So basically an unoffiacial source. And we all know social media and how it often pushes people to instantly make wrong assumptions.
And all this made the incident more dramatic than it actually was.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Got to admit I'm surprised the car got airborne like that, with the chunky wheel guards and relatively low speeds of FE. Seems it's impossible to keep an open wheeler on the ground, whatever you try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If I wasn't here on forum or didn't look on fb messages, I would not know that something happened. I saw first contact on that corner, race was red flagged, not enough time left to resume, everybody to the pits and that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
one thing that bothered me was that they didn't throw the red once they saw the situation, kept the SC for a while, maybe they were hopeful that they could resume racing

when a car flips and the driver is unable to get out is a call for red flag right away

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:35 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

You can never please everyone. People are pissed formula e didn't show this aftermath, but people were also livid about how nascar handled ryan newmans Daytona 500 crash last year because they showed too much of the extraction. Weird, huh? Anyway, haven't seen these posted here yet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Put the fan video on stabbot, this is the result:

[gfy]AcademicWhiteIcelandgull[/gfy]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

several folks in the paddock / media are having trouble leaving Saudi Arabia from what I've seen on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:09 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

racer612008 wrote:
several folks in the paddock / media are having trouble leaving Saudi Arabia from what I've seen on Twitter
Same thing happened the last time the WWE were there. Money shakedown?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:07 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Is that ridiculous block on Lynn going to be penalized

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IMO looks like Evans was fully to the right while Lynn was a few car lengths behind him, and Lynn went for a gap that wasn't really there. Evans might have moved over a smidge but there really wasn't a lane to his right in the first place. The fact these cars can take hits and keep going seems to encourage these moves to force cars into spaces that aren't quite big enough.

Replay with a bit more zoom on the start of the incident:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
IMO looks like Evans was fully to the right while Lynn was a few car lengths behind him, and Lynn went for a gap that wasn't really there. Evans might have moved over a smidge but there really wasn't a lane to his right in the first place. The fact these cars can take hits and keep going seems to encourage these moves to force cars into spaces that aren't quite big enough.

Replay with a bit more zoom on the start of the incident:

Given that FE's very eager penalty machine hasn't been activated, I think you're probably right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:09 am 

Incidentally, turns out the reason they didn't show footage of the crash live is because, well, none of the cameras picked it up. The circuit cameras were all focused on the initial collision that happened ahead of them, and Evans and Lynn's onboards were deactivated because they were way down the field

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next