TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 637 posts ]  Go to page Previous 128 29 30 31 32
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just get the feeling that Neate never seems to have any clue as to what is happening around him. Not just from the big incidents we've seen him involved in, but just about every time he races side by side. Wasn't it Donington when he turned across a car at the first corner, even though it was obviously alongside him? I remember him having a big accident at the same meeting, after he'd almost wrecked another car down the Craner Curves.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeh he did. He spun across Collards bumper at Redgate, the crashed with Tony Gilham in race 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Phil Bennett got banned for one race meeting for much less in 2001.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He'd collected enough points on his license for a ban, Neate should have collected enough for two bans.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Which is precisely my point. Granted it was 11 years ago but was still the last time someone was banned from a race meeting for accumulating enough endorsements. Has Gow and his stewarding team softened in these past 11 years?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think there's a time limit for points now, I'm sure Plato had points taken off this year after having them a while. But in recent years we have seen major inconsistencies in how punishments are given out. Remember Nash being DQ'd when Collard turned himself on the front of his car?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah Snetterton '09 right? Points get dropped either after a certain time limit or at the end of the year. I'm not sure which.

But think back just to Silverstone... Austin and Welch made contact, nothing more than a racing incident during a great race. Austin got DQ I believe. In what universe to we live where Austin gets DQ'd for a minor incident yet Neate gets nothing for a clear cut piece of immensely brainless driving?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, turned in on Welch. Definitely no where near as bad as Neate. And the excuse that he wasn't in control of his car is absurd.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:48 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

kals wrote:

I might be making this up, but I think he actually threatened to take someone out, which made the penalty worse.

kals wrote:
But think back just to Silverstone... Austin and Welch made contact, nothing more than a racing incident during a great race. Austin got DQ I believe.

Austin went to the stewards on his own accord there because he felt so bad about himself for the incident. If he hadn't have said anything, no action would have been taken.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

pimmy wrote:

kals wrote:
But think back just to Silverstone... Austin and Welch made contact, nothing more than a racing incident during a great race. Austin got DQ I believe.

Austin went to the stewards on his own accord there because he felt so bad about himself for the incident. If he hadn't have said anything, no action would have been taken.

Well that really highlights the stupidity of the stewards then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Apparently they're thinking of revising boost rules in 2013.

Just for clarification, these were the speed trap figures from Brands Hatch:

- Ford Focus, 135.0 mph
- BMW 320si, 135.0
- Ford Focus (NGTC), 134.8
- Vauxhall Vectra, 133.9
- Toyota Avensis, 132.6
- MG6, 131.1
- Honda Civic, 130.8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pimmy wrote:
kals wrote:

I might be making this up, but I think he actually threatened to take someone out, which made the penalty worse.

I don't recall that, but you could be right. I'll check the official review and see if anything is mentioned.

EDIT - found this on Autosport.com

Quote:
Bennett bags ban for Croft sprint...

Tuesday, August 14th 2001, 14:55 GMT

Vauxhall driver Phil Bennett has been banned from the sprint race at the Oulton Park round of the British Touring Car Championship - but will not compete in the feature race either after being withdrawn by his Triple Eight Engineering team.

Bennett's Egg-backed Vauxhall Astra was involved in five separate incidents at Croft last Sunday including scrapes with 1992 champion Tim Harvey and team mate Tom Ferrier, the Peugeot of veteran Steve Soper and Thomas Erdos' Lexus.

The Brit was awarded a one-race ban for his trouble, but rather than draft in a replacement for just the sprint race, Triple Eight has decided to withdraw Bennett from both races. With only one qualifying session for both races, it would have been too complicated to have two different drivers trying to set a time in the same half-hour session.

"It's not an option for us to have two different drivers," said Triple Eight team manager Ian Harrison, "because it's just not physically possible."

Bennett eventually retired from the last Sunday's race after crashing out at Tower corner. His race licence was also docked and the team is attempting to find a stand-in during the next week.

It's been a rough time for the Vauxhall team recently as the battle for the drivers' title intensifies. Bennett's ban follows the decision by Toca officials to give Jason Plato a time penalty for his driving during the Snetterton night race a week before the Croft meeting. Plato was relegated to third place after the clerk of the course decided he had gained an unfair advantage during a tussle with, ironically, Bennett.

I think what you might be referring to pimmy is Bennett's reaction to the incident with Plato.

Last edited by kals on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And while looking briefly at the 2001 archives, I stumbled across this...

Quote:
Round-up: Shedden targets top class

Monday, July 23rd 2001, 16:01 GMT

Standout BTCC debutant Gordon Shedden is targeting a BTC Touring drive after taking a second and a win in his first two BTC Production races in the GR Motorsport Ford Focus at Knockhill.

"I've just got to work as hard as possible for a drive for next year. BTC Touring is definitely the aim," said the 22-year-old Scot

Meanwhile, there's still a possibility the former Fiesta racer will be seen again in a GR Focus later this season. "We'd like to have him in the car again," said GR's spokesman.

But Shedden was not so sure, reckoning the lack of budget would "probably put me back on the sidelines."

Last year's BTCC runner-up Anthony Reid reminded tin-top fans at Knockhill of his no-nonsense style with a couple of lairy laps of the Fife circuit in MG's wild ZT XPower 500, a promotional machine which puts a 500bhpV8 and rear-wheel drive into a 75 shell.

Reid also put in a number of impressively committed laps at the wheel of the BTCC's Audi RS4 safety car, helping the BTCC boys keep their tyres right up to temperature while the wreckage of Colin Blair's rolled Alfa 156 was removed from the circuit.

11 years back the Production class was highly entertaining. For me the standouts that year were a certain trio in that class, Rob Collard in his little Renault Clio, Tom Boardman in his pink 306 and a certain Mat Jackson in a Ford Focus.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
And while looking briefly at the 2001 archives, I stumbled across this...

Quote:
Round-up: Shedden targets top class

Monday, July 23rd 2001, 16:01 GMT

Standout BTCC debutant Gordon Shedden is targeting a BTC Touring drive after taking a second and a win in his first two BTC Production races in the GR Motorsport Ford Focus at Knockhill.

"I've just got to work as hard as possible for a drive for next year. BTC Touring is definitely the aim," said the 22-year-old Scot

Meanwhile, there's still a possibility the former Fiesta racer will be seen again in a GR Focus later this season. "We'd like to have him in the car again," said GR's spokesman.

But Shedden was not so sure, reckoning the lack of budget would "probably put me back on the sidelines."

Last year's BTCC runner-up Anthony Reid reminded tin-top fans at Knockhill of his no-nonsense style with a couple of lairy laps of the Fife circuit in MG's wild ZT XPower 500, a promotional machine which puts a 500bhpV8 and rear-wheel drive into a 75 shell.

Reid also put in a number of impressively committed laps at the wheel of the BTCC's Audi RS4 safety car, helping the BTCC boys keep their tyres right up to temperature while the wreckage of Colin Blair's rolled Alfa 156 was removed from the circuit.

11 years back the Production class was highly entertaining. For me the standouts that year were a certain trio in that class, Rob Collard in his little Renault Clio, Tom Boardman in his pink 306 and a certain Mat Jackson in a Ford Focus.

I remember it very well - Sheds winning the feature race was one of the most popular things I've ever witnessed at Knockhill. Kind of miss those wee production cars - the National series that ran them prior to them becoming the TOCA production class had some brilliant racing but the TOCA tie-up ultimately killed it off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pretty much got used by TOCA. Happy to bolster the grid then ditched when grids picked up again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:18 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I think there's a production cup or something that is shown on Motors TV that makes me think of the Production class whenever I see it.

I know the series doesn't NEED it or indeed will ever have it back again, but there's something I miss about having a few separate classes racing at the same time.
Next year's Super 2000 cup won't quite be the same as there won't be as much of a speed disparity but it occasionally livened up dull races when the leaders caught up with the production class.

Starting them first and making the BTC spec cars catch up with them was a bit lame though, didn't like that year tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Production touring cars was very big in the late eighties (and probably before) then well in to the early nineties. One of my family was part of a BMW team back in 1991, drivers like Kurt Luby, Matt Neal, Dave Pinkney, Patrick Watts, James Kaye, plus more... all cut their teeth in the series. I can't remember why it died but it did mid-nineties. It was relaunched in the very late nineties with great success. It became Class B with TOCA for 2000, although there was still a standalone series outside of TOCA. Class B only had a handful of entries. In 2001 the standalone series merged with Class B to become the Production class and it lasted for a few more seasons before TOCA got the touring car class grid numbers back up and killed it off. It is a shame there isn't a second tier touring car series any longer.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 637 posts ]  Go to page Previous 128 29 30 31 32