TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:07 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
I remember Alan Gow about 10-15 years said that any rubbing or bumping would lead to heavy penalties. He then relaxed that in the late nineties. Since the Plato / Muller days of 2001 it has become the norm for a driver to simply "move" a competitor out of the way in order to gain a place. This requires no class or racecraft. Plato and Neal are the worst offenders, but the authorities don't seem to want to stop the drivers doing this. Look at Gio on Sunday. He drove to the front yet made passes without contact.

How the hell does Gio get a free pass when he blatently ran someone off the road on the exit of clearways ruining both their races? :?

I actually was more impressed by Neal yesterday. His overtakes in Clearways I find to be quite gutsy (and stupid of the car in front to leave even the smallest gap!) and the fact he said he held back from trying anything on Jason because he knew he wouldn't be able to get through without some kind of contact and third was better than ending up in the barriers.
Shows a new maturity to his attitude that may well make him a threat this year! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can't agree. Yes he goes for a gap but one that he opens, and he opens physically. IMO that isn't gutsy that is just rude and shows no class. When the gap is totally closed he simply runs up the back of the other driver. This isn't the Matt Neal we saw 10 years ago. Matt first did this move at Brands in 2003 when he simply removed Paul O'Neill from the lead at the final turn on the final lap. Everyone expected Matt to be penalised that day. But to everyone's surprise he wasn't reprimanded, fined, or penalised and he kept the win. That kind of set the tone for Matt from then on. The only time I was impressed last weekend with Neal was when he was battling with Plato in race 3. I was expecting the inevitable typical physical fight between them but it never came. The fight they had was clean and fair.

As for Gio, I won't try to dispute that. Can you elaborate for me please?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:14 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

There's a fine line isn't there. I think if a car goes up a gap and is mostly alongside and there's slight shoulder to shoulder contact, I'd say that's fine and shouldn't be punished. It's the tapping from behind to push the driver wide that annoys me, and IMO the instigator shouldn't benefit from the move without being penalised. From memory I think Matt Neal did a bit of both on Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:13 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

So no jump start penalty for Dan Eaves in Race 3 after he moved forward a whole length?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nope.

After the Adam/Plato incident that got forgotten it seems.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:03 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
As for Gio, I won't try to dispute that. Can you elaborate for me please?

He tried the same move on a BMW (Jelly I think? :? ) into clearways, only on the exit he drifted even further wide when he wasn't clear, resulting in contact and both of them running into the gravel.

It was probably the cause of his puncture later in the same race...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14