TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Another rival motorsport series to replace IndyCars on the Gold Coast has emerged with news that billionaire race series owner Don Panoz would be willing to race in Surfers Paradise.

Mr Panoz, a pharmaceutical magnate who 10 years ago founded the American Le Mans series, told The Bulletin that while he was not seeking to slot into Surfers should the Indy Racing League decide not to return in 2009, he would be happy to talk to organisers about bringing his sports cars Down Under.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/200 ... story.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:33 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

deggis wrote:
Quote:
Another rival motorsport series to replace IndyCars on the Gold Coast has emerged with news that billionaire race series owner Don Panoz would be willing to race in Surfers Paradise.

Mr Panoz, a pharmaceutical magnate who 10 years ago founded the American Le Mans series, told The Bulletin that while he was not seeking to slot into Surfers should the Indy Racing League decide not to return in 2009, he would be happy to talk to organisers about bringing his sports cars Down Under.

Holy shit that would be awesome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:38 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Cheeveer wrote:
deggis wrote:
Quote:

Holy shit that would be awesome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:16 pm 
Australian - All the animals look so strange
Australian - All the animals look so strange

Yes please, coolest cars in motor-racing finally here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:20 am 
ALMS by afternoon/night, A1GP by day? Think of those numbers when combined with the V8s lol. They've held night races before so there is infrastructure to host night time racing. Only problem is not enough pitlane access lol. They could use a underground hotel car park like the support races do haha.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:39 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

ALMS has been to Aus before hasn't it? I'm thinking Adelaide...2000 time? :?

But yeah that'd be quite an excellent race.....I can see some of the sportscar die-hards turning their noses up at yet another street race but all you have to do is move the Saturday Supercar race to the Sunday then let ALMS play on the Sat afternoon/evening/night :) :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

scotty wrote:
Perfect replacement. We will still get to see some of the IRL drivers anyway if they double duty in ALMS (Briscoe and Helio, if he isn't in prison by then) and the AGR guys.

AGR likely is not continuing in ALMS, and depending what Porsche has in mind, there is possibility Penske skips 2009...

codename_47 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Race_ ... sand_Years

Not too shabby name for a race btw. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:40 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

A long distance 6 or so hr race, say from 4pm-10pm on the Saturday for Le Mans Sportscars would be great, and what a party atmosphere it would be to have a major race kicking on into the night.

Of course the ALMS races at some street races are as little as 2hrs long, so there is the possibitly the cars would just slot into the current spot the IndyCars hold....

I think the ALMS/LMS running here is a long shot though, the 3 previous attempts at running International Sportscars here have failed (Sandown 1984, Sandown 1988, Adelaide 2000)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:09 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

deggis wrote:
scotty wrote:
Perfect replacement. We will still get to see some of the IRL drivers anyway if they double duty in ALMS (Briscoe and Helio, if he isn't in prison by then) and the AGR guys.

AGR likely is not continuing in ALMS, and depending what Porsche has in mind, there is possibility Penske skips 2009...

codename_47 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Race_ ... sand_Years

Not too shabby name for a race btw. :lol:

Oh cool it's still going on? :p

I'll set off from my house in the UK now, start walking to Adelaide and hopefully still make it in time for the finish! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:03 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

The ALMS Race of a Thousand Years was the meant to go for 9 years but it only went for 1.

They should have a 500km V8 Supercars (111 laps total over 2 races) event at Surfers and then bring the IRL to you know where.

Calder Park Thunderdome.. Close to Melbourne and wasn't there a NASCAR one-off there in the early 1990's? It would be unique to have an oval race outside the USA.

I have this promo for the 1991 Surfers event and it only shows one chicane. Maybe they changed the layout at the 11th hour or something (near the number 3 stand).

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:25 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

mclaren2008 wrote:
The ALMS Race of a Thousand Years was the meant to go for 9 years but it only went for 1.

They should have a 500km V8 Supercars (111 laps total over 2 races) event at Surfers and then bring the IRL to you know where.

For a moment there I thought you meant Bathurst! :p

Philip Island is a good track though ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:46 am 

codename_47 wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

For a moment there I thought you meant Bathurst! :p

Philip Island is a good track though ;)

Yeah, but they don;t come half way round the world to go to a track way out in the sticks.
They could easily go to Mont-Tremblant which is as good a circuit as PI.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
It would be unique to have an oval race outside the USA.

*cough* Motegi *cough*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:13 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

PAXTON wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

*cough* Motegi *cough*

And Rio. And Rockingham, Eurospeedway etc.

Anyway, ALMS at Surfers would rock.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:51 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

ellis wrote:
PAXTON wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

*cough* Motegi *cough*

And Rio. And Rockingham, Eurospeedway etc.

Anyway, ALMS at Surfers would rock.

Yeah, du a ALMS and Indy race in september and forget the v8s! :lol: :wave:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Didn't the locals have nervous breakdowns because of noise?...at night?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:12 pm 
Only the old farts that go to bed at 5pm. Indy is one giant party atmosphere event over 4 days. People blast music from 6am-9pm from hotel rooms (I was walking to the media centre and someone was playing Johnny Cash. I walked about 100m to hear ACDC - Thunderstruck and a further 50m to hear Heeeerreeeeees Johnny! And this was at 6:30 in the morning 2 hours before cars were on track :lol: :lol:), night clubs have extended hours from 5pm-7am (On track stuff doesn't even finish at 5pm - V8 Qualy finished at 6pm and was already night time) , there are street parades on a few nights (05 they had the F-111 dump and burn at night which was fantastic), 50 million restaurants are open all night, your right on the beach front and everyone is having a great time. And all this is within 30cm of the track entry gates. If your near by its just a great event to go to. Adding a night race would only make it better. The night races that had previously went down good. A lot of the crowd stayed for the races. Accidents/safety cars went down good. Since they used public roads there were street lights and brighter lights were installed at the chicanes so drivers could see the area.

Except the top part as there are no room for lights.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

luke wrote:
Only the old farts that go to bed at 5pm. Indy is one giant party atmosphere event over 4 days. People blast music from 6am-9pm from hotel rooms (I was walking to the media centre and someone was playing Johnny Cash. I walked about 100m to hear ACDC - Thunderstruck and a further 50m to hear Heeeerreeeeees Johnny! And this was at 6:30 in the morning 2 hours before cars were on track :lol: :lol:), night clubs have extended hours from 5pm-7am (On track stuff doesn't even finish at 5pm - V8 Qualy finished at 6pm and was already night time) , there are street parades on a few nights (05 they had the F-111 dump and burn at night which was fantastic), 50 million restaurants are open all night, your right on the beach front and everyone is having a great time. And all this is within 30cm of the track entry gates. If your near by its just a great event to go to. Adding a night race would only make it better. The night races that had previously went down good. A lot of the crowd stayed for the races. Accidents/safety cars went down good. Since they used public roads there were street lights and brighter lights were installed at the chicanes so drivers could see the area.

And IRL imbeciles wanna drop this?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

pending wrote:
luke wrote:

And IRL imbeciles wanna drop this?

Luke is correct. 80% of the people come to party. Im a local so i watch the racing and party aswell.

I heard that if IRL decides to leave SP, A1GP will replace it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Claymann wrote:
Luke is correct. 80% of the people come to party. Im a local so i watch the racing and party aswell.

I heard that if IRL decides to leave SP, A1GP will replace it?

Yea, but what are the IRL scared of? Exposure? is it too expensive? I thought the local government was handling the transportation bills. Or at least that what I read a few years ago...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next