TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:20 pm 
Australian - All the animals look so strange

CART fan wrote:
Ospi wrote:
Wow 1 decent race!

If we're going to set the bar at decent, then you might as well throw in 2004-2006. 2003 was legendary. 2006 was very good too.

And if you are throwing those into the arena then you would be no more than a mindless fanboy not to have this years race at the top of that list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 am 
Ospi wrote:
CART fan wrote:
Ospi wrote:
Wow 1 decent race!

If we're going to set the bar at decent, then you might as well throw in 2004-2006. 2003 was legendary. 2006 was very good too.

And if you are throwing those into the arena then you would be no more than a mindless fanboy not to have this years race at the top of that list.

I'm going to have to assume you never watched the 2003 race. Or 2006 race for that matter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Georgeboi999 wrote:
Truck race in Surfers tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:07 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I'm surprised GP2 hasn't been mentioned as possible replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:43 am 

CART fan wrote:
Ospi wrote:

I'm going to have to assume you never watched the 2003 race. Or 2006 race for that matter.

Love thinking you're better than everyone, don't you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:31 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

markwebber wrote:
CART fan wrote:
Ospi wrote:

Just loves bumming Champ Car, that's all.

This years race was no where near as bad as people make it out to be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:42 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Gaara wrote:
DTM would really kill off Surfers.

Don't think the categories racing overly matters, the party would continue if the main event was full of the local Gemini's

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PAXTON wrote:
IndyCar would be stupid to lose the australian race. So probably they will.

+1 :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
markwebber wrote:
CART fan wrote:

YEAH BUT IT WAS FULL OF EVIL DALLARAS. WE ARE LUCKY THAN NONE OF THEM FLEW INTO A GRANDSTAND AND KILLED 125 PEOPLE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:15 pm 

Ferrari wrote:
I'm surprised GP2 hasn't been mentioned as possible replacement.

it has, tony cockhead suggested it in a media release last weekend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:03 pm 
ellis wrote:
markwebber wrote:
CART fan wrote:

Has anyone actually watched the 2003 or 2006 races?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:07 pm 

Yeah they were decent races and this years race was up there with them, one of the best we have had here in a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:20 pm 

CART fan wrote:
ellis wrote:

Has anyone actually watched the 2003 or 2006 races?

Yes. And in my opinion the 'action/entertainment' was only a result of a field with no depth/talent.

How many less incidents were there this year because we had a field with good drivers? Heaps less. We actually had a good portion of the race SC free.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:28 pm 

True, what I do remember from 06 was a plethora of amatuer driving from collisions between drivers in the fkn pit lane to our favorite Frenchman fucking up and driving into the back of Power.

It was not exciting due to the racing itself, but moreso the lack of decent racing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So our favorite frenchman has no talent. Great way to make a point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:01 pm 

Sorry but I can't find in my post where I said that, can you highlight it for me??

Since when did making a driving error equal having no talent? Does that mean the likes of Schumacher and Senna had no talent? I can remember many a time they made driving errors.

lol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:48 pm 
Head Muppet

Ospi wrote:
Sorry but I can't find in my post where I said that, can you highlight it for me??

Since when did making a driving error equal having no talent? Does that mean the likes of Schumacher and Senna had no talent? I can remember many a time they made driving errors.

lol.

And into the pit lane goes David Coulthard...oohhhh...my goodness!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:05 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

To try and be neutral, Surfers is a great track to drive but it doesn't exactly lend itself to great racing..

Mainly because every time there's any kind of fast section there's some sort of clumsily designed chicane that seems to prevent passing....
And every year I watched one car closing up on another through the lap only for the final corner to spread out the cars too much for anyone to get a run/slipstream down the start/finish straight.

The only half chance is down the backstraight but even then the corner before it isnt helpful at keeping the cars bunched up. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:30 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

What they need to do is reduce the number of chicane although it would compromise safety.

The first chicane needs to be tightened for passing and then the second one needs to go for a good long run to turn 3 (which would become 2) for some good passing.

Up the back straight, the Bartercard chicane needs to go and then turn 7 made a simple, tight right-left-right for passing as the current layout is way way way too quick.

They could also have no chicanes and then it would be two very long runs with some tight corners at either end.

Other than that it is very similar to Imola which chicanes destroying the racing and making passing too difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:35 am 
Hahahahaha you tool. The chicanes are the best part of the track. Wake up you wanker! Without the chicanes the cars would be way to fast and dangerous. Not just for the drivers but for spectators as well. The old CART cars were easily capable of doing 300kph before the first chicane alone. You got to remember that its a very narrow track with spectators just a metre from the track. Its not like Monaco where there are a few spectator points here and there with a grand stand there and over there. If you buy a general admission ticket you can get to any corner on the track and be within a meter of the cars. They can't modify the track as part of it is on a highway and your running past hotels and shops. The grandstands that are built are built on the beach (To walk past the double chicane on the right you have to go on the beach and walk under/around the grandstand as there is not enough room to get people along the track) and along the back straight there is a 15m drop before a river. To run the bartercard chiacne as you say they would have to level the whole corner off as that corner is not flat. Not to mention that run off area is only 1 lane wide with a sharp right at the end. Murphy cut across that and I heard this huge bang/scrape sound as he straightened up. There packed from room as it is now. The spectator areas are on footpaths and the front lawns for hotels. You just can not change the layout.

Scott - The main layout has been the same since the first race. The only modification was adding an extra chicane after T5 and opening up a few of the corners.

It may not appear good on TV but if your at the track you sure do get your moneys worth. Especially if your at that double chicane. Fuck its amazing to see the cars go through there. Just listening to the revs the cars use through there you can tell who is going for it and who is just plonking around. Power had high revs coasting while Danica was just tapping the throttle in low gear before flooring it after the exit. Last year was just insane. I was at the double chicane during Powers qualy lap and fuck it was fantastic. Its a real drivers track. If you want to be fast you have to take risks and if you make 1 small mistake you will end your day in the concret jungle. Look at the Moraes crash. He stuffed up the entry to the chicane which put him in the exit barrier of the chicane. Youtube Power's 2007 CCWS Qualy laps. His second lap is just breathtaking.

Oh and the only reason that there wasn't a lot of safety car periods was because the corner marshals constantly had to keep running onto a hot track and move a tire bundle that some back marker had hit. Not to mention that there was a huge amount of debris on the exit of the bartercard chicane. I almost got my finger chopped off when some of the paint hit my hand. Since when is paint 5 layers thick and has some weight to it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next