TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 942 posts ]  Go to page Previous 138 39 40 41 4248 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

You'll be delighted to know that the Porsche Supercup grid is slowly creeping upwards. We should have a bigger grid than last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:04 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

How are the clios doing with their new car?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:11 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

I imagine there will probably be around 17 or so.

There's a rather unique prize on offer for the champion this year: A Renault 5 GT Turbo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:23 pm 

According to Ginetta's website, there are 15 drivers signed up in GT4 Supercup and 20 in Juniors.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Posted on 10 tenths:

Formula Ford: 15
Porsche Carrera Cup of Great Britain: 16
Courier Connections Renualt UK Clio Cup: 16
Michelin Ginetta GT4 Supercup: 16
Ginetta Juniors: 20

I happen to know that a couple of those will move up by at least 4 or 5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jrs should be fun then.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

A bit random, but if you liked the Mini's that are on the support bill of the BTCC, the 2011, 2012 and 2013 review are on Youtube on the GoracingTV channel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:42 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Fantastic piece of self-promotion about self-promotion from Mr Self-Promotion himself on Autosport Plus

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... onsorship/

Quote:
Sponsorship has been utterly crucial to my career. Ducking, diving, selling and marketing basically got me the opportunity to do the business in Renault Spiders.

At various stages through my professional career, when things have gone tits up - like when SEAT pulled out and there were no other seats around - I've had to get my arse in gear and put deals together.

It's the differentiator between the great and the good, in the sense that you see things go pear-shaped for paid drivers and they don't get involved in trying to make things happen. I've never been like that; I've always been trying to make myself central to all the marketing, a) because I enjoy it and b) because I think it's key.

I like trying to work out how to get a company involved, after the research we've done. What can we come up with that will be the hook? I really enjoy it.

I don't think drivers underestimate sponsorship because they know money is needed, but in my experience 99.999 per cent of drivers under-deliver in this area and don't work hard enough.

It's partly what the KX Akademy is about. I'm quite fortunate in a way. I've always really enjoyed that side of it. I'm like my dad - my dad's a salesman, and I'm the same. And there are things I've learned along the way, strategies on how you sell.

DOING YOUR HOMEWORK

Whenever we target anyone, the research that goes into making sure they're the right target is quite sophisticated. If you go at it like a blunderbuss, you'll just waste time.

We've found that if you don't do your research, people still want to speak to you because it's exciting. It's only when you get to the nitty-gritty you realise you've just wasted your time and their time because you're not in the right market and there's no synergy. You can't just go out and canvass and write letters. You've got to go at it 
in a corporate and commercial way.

The penny dropped for me in 1996. My single-seater career went pear-shaped because I didn't have the money. I started working in racing schools and got pissed off, demotivated and a bit bitter and twisted as I saw wealthy lads getting on.

Then Renault came along and I'd just found a new sponsor - Swan National Leasing - at the Silverstone racing school. I thought, 'This is my last chance - if this doesn't work, forget it, I've had enough'. I gave it everything and really learned to promote myself around the paddocks.

I made a lot of mistakes, but the most important thing was I had to bolt it all together - getting Swan National Leasing into Renault Fleet for example - and I thought, 'There's something in all this, getting all the people working together'. It's not the sticker on the 
car, it's the networking and dealing.

PROFILE, AND GETTING INVOLVED

Another lesson was profile. After the Renault BTCC test [before the 1997 season] I was told I wasn't going to get the seat because they wanted a driver with profile, an ex-Formula 1 driver. I thought, 'I can't let this happen'. I started doing TV and when I got the seat I realised I could have lost it so easily, so I wanted to sort it out.

If you've got two drivers in the running who are both quick, which one are you going to choose, the one with profile or the one without?

All the way through my formative years it wasn't about being in the car: what opens the doors is the commerce and business. I lived in Williams GP's marketing department.

When an opportunity came along with SEAT's new BTCC programme, I saw that I could make myself the epicentre of everything. I was in the marketing department all the time, trying to position myself to be central to everything that went on. I had to put the hours in: voiceovers; presenting corporate events; coming up with ideas; trying to do contra deals.

I did one with TalkSPORT, which was a genius deal, because I got myself on prime-time radio every Thursday night for four minutes, I got SEAT a load of free exposure, and I got TalkSPORT a bit of earning. Everybody in that circle was happy.

SEAT were brilliant with me because they allowed me to get in the middle of it all and be creative, and I learned more. It just becomes what you do.

GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT

For the MG-Tesco BTCC deal, the Tesco part was done first - I'd had an involvement with them since 2005. We'd been talking about what to do for 2012 and there was a deal on the table with RML, who I'd been with, and for me that commercial deal wasn't productive enough. So off we went.

Things got really tricky and I went to Triple Eight and we sat down with the board and MG and hammered out a deal. We - my business partner Heidi Johnson-Cash is integral to a lot of this - found levers to pull and mechanisms to make it work financially for MG, make it work for everyone in the programme.

We don't have glossy brochures, we arrange meetings and we talk, and post-meeting we build a package based upon what they've told us and what we've learned. It could be a small package or an enormous one, but you don't know until you've done your research.

The meetings are also research. The meeting isn't so much the selling - it is a bit, kind of guiding - but it's more about what they want to achieve. At measurable points along the way we want to deliver those.

From the very onset, there will be targets, a 30-day plan, a 90-day plan, and a 150-day plan to achieve certain things. We don't want to sell something to someone that they don't need because at some point the bean counters will ask, 'What are we doing that for?' It's much easier to keep a sponsor than find a new one.

And never piss a sponsor off. Always try to over-deliver. If an agreement terminates, you always keep in contact.

The ultimate thing, surrounding it all, is hard work. It's getting up at five in the morning with a brainwave. Simply just bloody hard work!

PLATO'S TOP SPONSOR TIPS

Work smart
Do your research, don't send out a little flyer. You've got to meet people. Every racing driver should be a member of a golf club.

Listen
We've got one mouth and two ears, but most people use them the wrong way round when they are doing a commercial deal.

Mix with clever people
Find someone that works well with you. Treat people the way you'd want to be treated yourself. It's people skills.

Work hard, then work harder
The moment you get a deal, that's when you really have to start working. Most people think, 'That's done now', forget their sponsor and don't deliver.

Starting to think his entire career has been one enormous PR exercise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If I told you I sat in the same room as him and Guy Edwards would you know what I was talking about?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:27 pm 

Judging by this from a Guy Edwards bio, I'm guessing it wasn't motor racing (per se)

Quote:
His commercial activities then took priority and he was involved with sponsor-hunting with the March F1 team until 1985 when he went freelance and landed the Silk Cut sponsorship for Tom Walkinshaw's Jaguar sportscars for 1986-91. In 1987 he negotiated a major deal with Castrol to sponsor the IMSA Jaguars.

He made a racing comeback in 1988 having found sponsorship from Kaliber, low alcohol beer, for the British Touring Car Championship but in 1992 became director of marketing at Team Lotus, signing up Castrol as the team's major sponsor for the 1993 season. Since 1994 Edwards has used his abilities to sell sponsorship to cities around the world, his major deal being the HSBC sponsorship of London's airports.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
If I told you I sat in the same room as him and Guy Edwards would you know what I was talking about?

Did you know what THEY were talking about?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Only Guy Edwards was doing the talking, the rest of us were listening intensely, it was one of his Sponsorship Seminars he did after he launched his book, I distinctly remember a few faces there, wankface being one of them.

I could be wrong, it was 20 years ago.... but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:17 pm 

http://www.btccforum.net/forum/showthre ... Marc-Hynes

:slaphead: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:28 pm 

Hynes is a good argument for the number of reversed positions on the grid being increased to 11-15, if you ask me. He's a potential race winner but it's going to be difficult for him to get anything if we keep having only 6-8 places reversed in each race

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:32 pm 

There's no need for any positions to be reversed, let alone more than there already are.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:36 pm 

I think there is. Some of the best moments of recent years have come courtesy of the reverse grid races, and having one team or driver dominating a whole weekend would be bad for the championship. You need the occasional surprise winner to keep it interesting. If all we get this season is the wins split between Honda, MG, Turkington and Jordan, that would be a disappointment, but it's looking like that will be the case but for the occasional race with 9 or 10 positions reversed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:58 pm 

I'm really not a fan of charity rules in racing, there have been just as many good 'regular' races as there have been good reverse grid ones. To be honest, Rob Austin's win was the only surprise last year and in the case of Tordoff it was a matter of when, not if, he would win. So by your criteria last year was a disappointment, which I think most people will disagree with.

There's no real need for success ballast or different compounds of tyre either. There have been many occasions where someone has qualified on pole and/or won carrying maximum weight, and while the soft tyres have slightly affected the on track action, I think they've fixed a problem that didn't exist. The racing was fine beforehand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's been 6 races within the biggest and arguably most competitive season for many years and people are writing off Hynes already? oh boy! And as for preferring Neate over Hynes, someone hand me my shot gun.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:36 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Reverse starting grids suck. Any version. Period.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:15 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

dicksplaash wrote:
Reverse starting grids suck. Any version. Period.

For big series like WEC I agree, but given BTCC quite literally picks numbers out of a big jug and has become a bit of a cartoon entertaiment series, I think reverse grids suit it. And with the enlarged grid numbers I think moving from 5-10 to 11-15 would be a good idea too.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 942 posts ]  Go to page Previous 138 39 40 41 4248 Next