TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 1760 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:14 am 

racer69 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
if he's stuck in his house he'll probably be taking photos of every bit of dirt or marbles that lands in his garden as a result of the race for further evidence compiling reasons.... :yuk:

I would too if someone decided to run a motor race down my street!

Juihi wrote:
Problem is he's had all year to pipe up about it but has waited until just over 1 week until the event to make a fuss, I do agree it's pretty shitty compensation but at the same time he's left things pretty late.

Maybe he did pipe up to the organisers, and going public to court is his last resort?

Would you try and stop the 1000 if you lived on the mountain?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Agreement made

Quote:
A breakthrough has been reached after a Hamilton couple went to court to stop a V8 car race they said made them feel like trapped animals.

Self-employed painter and decorator Paul Smart and partner Odette Haitana will now be given financial help to find somewhere else to live during the Hamilton 400.

They pressed ahead with their threat to stop the event with court action after V8 Supercar organisers reneged on a deal made with the previous organisers.

The couple's home borders the rack track of the Hamilton 400.

They were preparing to seek an injunction in the High Court at Hamilton after earlier pleadings for compensation fell flat.

In a statement issued last night, the couple's Hamilton lawyer Kate Hay said an agreement had been reached between the couple and race organisers.

Mr Smart and Mrs Haitana would be helped financially to find somewhere else to live during the event.

"V8 Supercar is paying a contribution towards the cost of alternative local accommodation. Mr Smart and Ms Haitana have withdrawn their application for an injunction. Their wider claim for compensation will continue through the normal court processes."

Mr Smart previously said unsuccessful legal action forced them to endure last year's event, which left them feeling like caged animals as they were locked in by a gate.

Both parties had agreed not to make any further comment.

V8 Supercars had previously slammed the Hamilton couple's attempt to stop this year's ITM 400 as "baseless and opportunistic".

Mr Smart previously claimed he had organised a deal with previous V8 promoters, Caleta Street Management, which gave him enough cash for him and his family to escape their house, on the corner of Mill and Tristram streets, to Australia for five days during the race.

That package - which included flights, accommodation and $5000 spending money - was estimated to be worth between $10,000 and $15,000.

But since taking over the race, Archer Capital had refused to honour the deal, instead offering six three-day passes, he said.

The High Court injunction was a last resort, after pleading with organisers for compensation, and an unsuccessful Disputes Tribunal action.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport ... V8-dispute

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:11 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

As I say I'm sure he doesn't WANT to get the race stopped, but more have the organisers go back to the deal which they agreed to for the first couple of years of the event which they've since gone back on: get him the hell out of there.

As motorsport fans we're probably not going to be too sympathetic to the guy trying to talk smack about one of our races and trying to get it stopped, but in this case I can sympathise with him: organisers offer him deal to get out of the area, he takes it, organisers go back on it and offer him something ludicrous instead.

Trying to get the race shut down is OTT, I agree, but its probably the only way he can get some attention to his plight.

Hopefully it'll end with him buggering off to wherever he wants to not enjoy motorsport in peace ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I think it's actually a good arrangement. The cost of a race weekend is massive, but the cost of a weekend holiday for a family is tiny in comparison. It works out great for everybody involved.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

BenMac wrote:
racer69 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
if he's stuck in his house he'll probably be taking photos of every bit of dirt or marbles that lands in his garden as a result of the race for further evidence compiling reasons.... :yuk:

I would too if someone decided to run a motor race down my street!

Juihi wrote:
Problem is he's had all year to pipe up about it but has waited until just over 1 week until the event to make a fuss, I do agree it's pretty shitty compensation but at the same time he's left things pretty late.

Maybe he did pipe up to the organisers, and going public to court is his last resort?

Would you try and stop the 1000 if you lived on the mountain?

Completely different scenario

Mt Panorama was designed and built as a race track, before any houses were built on it. If i moved to a property on the track, i know full well what i am getting myself into.

Whereas the man in Hamilton has lived there for twenty years, and the taxi's from another country only came along in 2008.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

racer69 wrote:
Mt Panorama was designed and built as a race track, before any houses were built on it. If i moved to a property on the track, i know full well what i am getting myself into.

This is a bit off topic, but it's been proved before that that won't stop some retards from complaining anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:57 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Yet again the V8's are on 7mate next week

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:53 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

simonracer wrote:
racer69 wrote:

This is a bit off topic, but it's been proved before that that won't stop some retards from complaining anyway.

I know, it was that sort of stupidity that killed off Amaroo Park, and is currently choking the likes of Croft & the GP loop at Brands Hatch.

Sandown is lucky to still be operating.

If the race track is built after the residents are already there (like Hamilton), i back up the resident. If the resident moves to the vicinity of a race track, then more fool them if they complain because they knew what was nearby! It's a shame governments will always back up the residents no matter what (look at Amaroo)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tony D'Alberto's Hiflex Ford, to run for the rest of the season

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:38 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Weather forecast for the weekend is fine and sunny, will be good for me at the track, but unfortunately will probably make for some arse races.

In other news, the new NZ Super Tourers series is having a 500km race at Pukekohe 1 week after the gold coast race V8 races and they are hoping to attract a bunch of top drivers to partner the regulars, they've already got Scott Dixon confirmed and there is talk of Mark Winterbottom, Tony Kanaan & Dario Franchitti doing it, I know it probably doesn't sound massively impressive but for little old NZ it'll be quite awesome having some top names come here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mobile Hose Service...?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

mclaren2008 wrote:

I think that is a Melbourne/South Australia thing.

Up here in NSW, all the AFL games are on 7mate, with the V8s on 7.

Juihi wrote:
In other news, the new NZ Super Tourers series is having a 500km race at Pukekohe 1 week after the gold coast race V8 races and they are hoping to attract a bunch of top drivers to partner the regulars, they've already got Scott Dixon confirmed and there is talk of Mark Winterbottom, Tony Kanaan & Dario Franchitti doing it, I know it probably doesn't sound massively impressive but for little old NZ it'll be quite awesome having some top names come here!

This brings back memories of the old Benson & Hedges 6hrs from the late 70s/early 80s which attracted the likes of Stirling Moss amongst others.

That of course morphed later into the second leg of the Nissan-Mobil 500 Series, and in the late 90s the "Liquer King 500" was also run at Pukekohe. It will be good to see an international enduro running again in NZ.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

racer69 wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

I think that is a Melbourne/South Australia thing.

Up here in NSW, all the AFL games are on 7mate, with the V8s on 7.

Must be SA only, V8's are on until 3pm on 7 in Melbourne both days then the footy goes from 3-6. And with my AFL team being on 7 for a change on Sunday (that being North Melbourne), it looks like I'll be spending Sunday in front of the TV all day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:17 am 

Several pictures of a guy and a couple of the new pit lane at Barbagallo Raceway.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champions ... fault.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:46 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

That inside pitlane is a great way to spoil the view of the front straight for the spectators standing at the esses.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This is quite interesting:
Quote:
IN the 50th year of the annual endurance classic at Bathurst comes news that a range of rare and never-before released material from the Seven Sport Bathurst archives will hit the shelves.

Part of the new ‘Seven Sport’s Magic Moments of Motorsport’ series, a range of rare material will be released by Chevron Publishing on DVD featuring classic Bathurst vision from the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

The first of these is due for release around August this year.

It features eight-hours worth of coverage of the 1977 Hardie-Ferodo 1000 at Bathurst and comes 35 years since the famous Ford 1-2 form finish of Allan Moffat and Colin Bond.

While it’s not quite the race in full (approximately an hour of vision no longer exists), it’s the first time this material has been released and includes pre-race build-up, vision from while the network was in commercial breaks and rarely-seen podium material.

Another release will celebrate the 40th anniversary of Peter Brock’s first Bathurst victory, with black and white highlights of the actual Sunday October 1, 1972 race day Channel Seven telecast to be released for the first time.

A bonus on this release will be a similar highlights package covering the 1973 race and the first race run to the 1000-kilometre length that the event has become world-famous for.

A third release will cover the 1969 and 1974 Bathurst releases (again, using race telecast highlights never-before-released).

The final volume in the first round of releases will cover the annual Hardies Heroes fight for pole position from Bathurst. This DVD will focus in on the Group C era from Hardies Heroes’ inception in 1978 through to 1984.

Hosted by current Seven motorsport host/commentator Aaron Noonan, the series will be on sale in time for Father’s Day, Bathurst in October and of course Christmas in December.

I'm surprised that all of this still exists. I'm particularly interested in the footage from 1969-1974, since there is not that much footage around from that era, and that especially applies to 1969 where there was no highlight reel produced by any of the manufacturers in the race, and the highlight reel that is usually shown was I believe from a newsreel and wasn't that long.

What I would be even more interested in seeing would be any more footage from 1960-1964, not so much because I'm interested in that era, it's just that there's so little footage available. I know that Channel 7 televised the 1963 race and Channel 9 televised the 1960 race, although I'd be surprised if it still exists, and there may have been some newsreel footage as well.

Last edited by simonracer on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:21 am 

I gotta get my hands on that one

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

simonracer wrote:
I'm surprised that all of this still exists. I'm particularly interested in the footage from 1969-1974, since there is not that much footage around from that era, and that especially applies to 1969 where there was no highlight reel produced by any of the manufacturers in the race, and the highlight reel that is usually shown was I believe from a newsreel and wasn't that long.

What I would be even more interested in seeing would be any more footage from 1960-1964, not so much because I'm interested in that era, it's just that there's so little footage available. I know that Channel 7 televised the 1963 race and Channel 9 televised the 1960 race, although I'd be surprised if it still exists, and there may have been some newsreel footage as well.

1969 Channel 7-footage onwards does exist in full (though the people that have it can't/won't share it). 1978 onwards in full is pretty easy to find

I have the full 1969 Holden film (the edited version appears on the 1967-1974 DVD) which runs for 30mins or so. The 30min highlights of black & white Channel 7 footage from 1972 and 1973 are fairly easy to find as well.... so hopefully whatever is released on these DVDs are more of those two races rather than just the same thing....

Bits and pieces of the 1963 race are still around (the Beetle vs Mini battle from the race is shown semi-regularly on anything to do with Bathurst) from the ATN7 telecast

GTV-9 in Melbourne televised the three "Armstrong 500s" from Phillip Island in 1960, 1961 & 1962. GTV-9's affiliated station in Sydney was ATN-7, so up here the races were shown on 7 (TCN-9 Sydney's affiliate in Melbourne was HSV-7)

These DVDs look like good stuff, one hopes that there is alot of racing and little 'modern talking heads' in it.

Most of Channel 7's old motorsport footage still exists, in Melbourne (the widely-spread story that the old footage was used as landfill was a myth)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:21 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Not sure where to post this, but this thread is probably the most appropriate, looks like the NZ motorsports scene is in for a bit of a shakeup, there was some corruption in the governing body (some members using money to fund their own racing), but as of the past few days they've thrown the culprits out and are going to announce a replacement to the New Zealand V8's which I must say has a shit load of potential, the cars will cost about NZ$160k to build and have a standard chassis/engine but be able to put on different body shells, they've already got 11 cars confirmed and it hasn't even offically been announced, as of now there will be Audis/Mercedes/Holdens/Fords/Lexus/Toyotas/Nissans plus more, this goes directly up against the new Supertourers series which even though they are cheap (NZ$320K) to run they would be a lot more expensive than this new series and they also aren't in favour with the governing bodies in NZ, so unfortunately I expect the series fold which given it's only done 2 rounds is quite a shame, there is also a lot of interest from Australia for this new series to the point that the final round will be held at none other than Bathurst :D during the easter weekend of racing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:22 am 

The TBA round at the end of the year is now Winton, which has been moved from its August date. No replacement for the original date has been announced at this stage.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 1760 Next