Gold Member

Pedrosa will get B tyres for next race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:40 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

Schumack wrote:

what? How is this possible under contractual terms?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:41 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

That was quite a good race actually, well done to the director for not just following Rossi leading for 20 laps and showing us the other battles down the field ...

I'm thrilled to see Elias doing well again, he's an exciting rider (normally on a completely different line to whoever is around him ...) and I'm glad he has hit some form, hope to see him with a good ride next year ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tobias wrote:
Schumack wrote:

what? How is this possible under contractual terms?!

Quote:

GO TO EARLIER STORY GO TO THE NEWS INDEX
Pedrosa to switch to Bridgestones

By Matt Beer Sunday, August 31st 2008, 15:03 GMT

Dani Pedrosa, Repsol HondaDani Pedrosa is to make a shock mid-season switch from Michelin to Bridgestone tyres, starting at the forthcoming Indianapolis Grand Prix.

Speculation about a possible change mounted at Misano this weekend, and Michelin has now confirmed that it has agreed for Pedrosa to switch to its arch-rival's rubber with immediate effect.

"Despite making an excellent start to the season and leading the world championship going into the German GP, during the last few races Dani Pedrosa has made it know to both Michelin and Honda that he doesn't feel at ease with the tyres that Michelin have offered him," said a Michelin statement.

"Honda and Michelin believe that rider confidence needs to be at its maximum if the rider is to fully exploit the tactical potential of the tyres.

"In these circumstances Michelin and Honda have therefore decided not to equip Pedrosa with Michelin tyres for the remainder of the 2008 season."

Michelin has come under heavy criticism in recent months, as its riders fell behind their Bridgestone-shod rivals. At Brno a fortnight ago the Michelins' practice and qualifying performance was so bad that a rider boycott was a genuine possibility.

The French tyres showed better form at Misano this weekend, with Jorge Lorenzo and Pedrosa taking second and fourth, but that improvement was not sufficient to keep Pedrosa on Michelins for the rest of the year.

"I thank Michelin and Honda for their mutual understanding and for agreeing to my personal demands," said the Spanish rider.

"I am very conscious of the fact that I have made some excessively negative comments about Michelin tyres, even though Michelin helped me make an exceptional start to the season."

Michelin has supplied Honda's motorcycle teams with tyres for 24 years, with the two companies winning 14 world championships together.

Honda's decision to give Bridgestone runner Shinya Nakano and the satellite Gresini team a full 2008 specification bike was already widely seen as testing the water for a full Bridgestone switch, especially after the Japanese rider beat the other Hondas at Brno.

Pedrosa's move means that just six of the 18 MotoGP regulars will use Michelin tyres in the remaining 2008 races. Current championship leader Valentino Rossi had already persuaded Yamaha to let him swap to Bridgestones for this season after he struggled to beat Casey Stoner's Bridgestone-shod Ducati last season.

Michelin's problems have led to renewed speculation that MotoGP could implement control tyres next season to avoid performance disparities of the kind seen at Brno, but Michelin has reiterated its long-held opposition to any such move.

"Both Honda and Michelin hope that MotoGP World Championship will continue with a multi-tyre brand regulation in 2009," said its statement.

Pedrosa's teammate Nicky Hayden will remain on Michelin tyres for the rest of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well it was pretty logical seeing Nakano suddenly performing pretty well on the 2008 bike with Bridgestones.

MotoGP just needs to make the switch to just 1 tyre supplier as soon as possible to get to rid of this kind of bullshit. Than nobody can blame the tyres any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: let them make on all nascar tracks roofs,there u go, make roof like on a house and they can race
I didnt watched the MotoGp Race because of IFM,BTCC and DTM but I cant believe that Stoner crashed again.Without all the Crashes it would be a great Fight with Rossi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:27 pm 

3 falls in last 3 races :ohmy: He really needs to put himself together, congratulations to Rossi though. :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I can't believe Stoner is making mistakes at his level especially as he is the champion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:24 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Same. It's almost like a return to 2006 where he was usually blisteringly quick in practise, up there in qualifying and then crashed within 5 laps on race day ...

He seemed to get over that last year and really vindicated the faith Ducati placed in him because his 2006 form didn't really warrant that factory drive with a bike that had been very good in 2006 (Loris was winning races, and lead the championship ...) but, the last few races it has been a worrying return to that 2006 patch. I'm sure he's better than that, he was out of this world last year and is still miles better than anyone else on that Ducati ...