TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:21 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

I came across this fun article about Dale Earnhardt's final win at Talladega. I'm not sure if it got posted anywhere else but anyways its a fun little read. http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/13935897/nascar-dale-earnhardt-won-talladega-15-years-ago

One detail that really stuck out to me though was this part

Quote:
"When they got there up beside Skinner, they were there long enough for me to sit and think, 'S---! I can't push Skinner past Daddy and help him win this race!' Because Dad wasn't too excited about having a teammate, much less me pushing that teammate, to a win."

Conflicted about whether to stay tightly tucked behind Skinner and wait for the chance to pounce, or relent and lift out of the throttle, Junior lifted out of the throttle to create separation. The internal battle about how to proceed was torturous.

I knew in the past there was issues with the testing of cars and support Earnhardt he felt he was getting when Skinner came on board to RCR. I was always under the assumption that both drivers were on good terms but the more I think about it not so much. Now I wonder if Dale Earnhardt purposely held Skinner's career back as his was slowly beginning to fade into eventual retirement.

DISCUSS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RCR drivers have always had a penchant for hating each other

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't think it's a coincidence, I think they all hated driving for that scumbag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

He was all in on Dale and pawpaw's grandkids, that's it. He couldn't give two shits for anyone else

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I recall more than a few rumors of Dale leaving RCR and running as an owner/driver in the late 90's. Perhaps not caring for a teammate fueled those rumors.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:17 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike Skinner's still alive, so he won that battle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:07 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

I recall Dale getting pissed with Skinner at Atlanta in 2000. Something about Skinner nearly wrecking him in an attempt to take the lead. Dale bumped him once or twice under yellow if I recall right.

That's an awesome read btw about an incredible day. I was at the track that day. I still remember them flying past me on the tri-oval to get the white flag, two-by-two, not knowing if they were going to kill each other en route to the checkered. I wish all of you would have seen the celebrations that night. They might have been partying for the next two weeks, knowing Talladega.

That was an incredible day, and my favorite memory of racing - even more so than the two Indy 500s I got to go to. Dale's last win - and the last of three straight races I attended he won. I went to his last three wins.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Who had the better stache?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Considering Skinner once said he'd wreck his own mother for a win, I'm not sure why Earnhardt would be surprised Skinner would wreck him. Also, LOL at "the intimidator" getting mad at anyone moving him aside for a win.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Skinner definitely had the more smoking hot wife.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tristar 7AT wrote:
I came across this fun article about Dale Earnhardt's final win at Talladega. I'm not sure if it got posted anywhere else but anyways its a fun little read. http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/13935897/nascar-dale-earnhardt-won-talladega-15-years-ago

One detail that really stuck out to me though was this part

Quote:
"When they got there up beside Skinner, they were there long enough for me to sit and think, 'S---! I can't push Skinner past Daddy and help him win this race!' Because Dad wasn't too excited about having a teammate, much less me pushing that teammate, to a win."

Conflicted about whether to stay tightly tucked behind Skinner and wait for the chance to pounce, or relent and lift out of the throttle, Junior lifted out of the throttle to create separation. The internal battle about how to proceed was torturous.

I knew in the past there was issues with the testing of cars and support Earnhardt he felt he was getting when Skinner came on board to RCR. I was always under the assumption that both drivers were on good terms but the more I think about it not so much. Now I wonder if Dale Earnhardt purposely held Skinner's career back as his was slowly beginning to fade into eventual retirement.

DISCUSS

dale was always a competitor, and any teammate to dale would always be second fiddle.

that said, i disagree with the notion that dale was fading. in fact, i would say he was in the midst of a comeback at the time of his death. the neck injury that plagued him from his 1996 talladega wreck wasn't surgically addressed until after the 1999 season; after which he finished 2nd in the standings. 2001 could have easily been an 8th championship for the intimidator