TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1136 137 138 139 140
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was at the Pocono race in question, and they gave us plenty of warning to get to shelter... to emphasize how much time we were given, my sister - who broke her ankle in 8 (!!!) places 20 years ago and still walks verrrry slowly and carefully - started walking to our car on the outer-edge of the parking lot the minute she heard the "incoming scary weather" warning come over the PA. She made it safely, and had been sitting in her car for about 5 minutes before the first rains hit.

As for my mother and I, there was no way we were going to come all this way to miss a green flag lap of racing.

In other words, we were fully capable of making this decision on our own. We knew we'd have to find shelter and find it soon, so when they all wrecked and found out Jeff Gordon was the leader (lolz), we headed under the grandstands. We knew it wasn't ideal, but it sure was better than standing out in the middle of a storm that huge. The lightning strike that killed the fan was further out in the parking lot (in the opposite direction of where our car was), and it scared the bejeezus out of me. I was quite glad I wasn't out in it.

Many people made the decision to make a run for it that day, and unfortunately, Brian Zimmerman paid that price with his life. There's nothing NASCAR or the track PA announcers could have done differently.

My view...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1136 137 138 139 140