TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1614 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
If Smith hadn't gone below the yellow line then he would have spun Stewart out.

Actually, that could have given him a legit win :lol:

Temiree wrote:
He still didn't address the "if you can see the checkered flag, anything goes" rule they said during the driver's meeting.

This sounds wild, it's a recipe for finish line pileups :eyecrazy:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Speedworx wrote:
Quote:
from NASCAR: Post-Race Comments from NASCAR Vice President of Corporate Communications Jim Hunter Talladega Superspeedway, Oct. 5, "You cannot improve your position anytime you go below the yellow line. In our judgment, he (Regan Smith) improved his position and the penalty for that is a pass thru, so he was moved back to the tail end of the longest line or 18th position. At the driver's meeting, we clearly state that you cannot improve your position by going below the yellow line. We do not feel he was forced below the yellow line. Anytime you get into a situation like this, there are going to be two different opinions. We respect Regan's view, but we made the call, we think it's the right call and the finish is final. NASCAR has to maintain some kind of control – and that's the reason we say, you cannot advance your position by going below the yellow line. If he had not improved his position, he probably would have been awarded 2nd place."(NASCAR)(10-5-2008)

Seems pretty clear to me.

Seems like shit to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: let them make on all nascar tracks roofs,there u go, make roof like on a house and they can race
Quote:
from NASCAR: Post-Race Comments from NASCAR Vice President of Corporate Communications Jim Hunter Talladega Superspeedway, Oct. 5, "You cannot improve your position anytime you go below the yellow line. In our judgment, he (Regan Smith) improved his position and the penalty for that is a pass thru, so he was moved back to the tail end of the longest line or 18th position. At the driver's meeting, we clearly state that you cannot improve your position by going below the yellow line. We do not feel he was forced below the yellow line. Anytime you get into a situation like this, there are going to be two different opinions. We respect Regan's view, but we made the call, we think it's the right call and the finish is final. NASCAR has to maintain some kind of control – and that's the reason we say, you cannot advance your position by going below the yellow line. If he had not improved his position, he probably would have been awarded 2nd place."(NASCAR)(10-5-2008)

So what should he do then?It was clear that he had spun Tony out when he doesnt go under the yellow line.

Totally Bullshit :x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:09 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Smith avoids spinning Tony out and tries to do it fairly, and gets rewarded with 18th position. Nice one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I wonder if Regan/DEI could take NASCAR to court over this cause NASCAR has clearly stated before that anything goes on the final lap in all three series. Since Regan more than likely won't be back in the series next year I think he should but who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As a fan of racing, I find it hard to say that I will not watch something. I often have not watched all of a Cup race this year but I usually watch some of each. My interest in NASCAR has steadily declined over the last 5 or so years.

That said, I watched the whole thing on Sunday. Great race until Carl got stupid. The ending, well, I knew he was going to be penalized when he went down there. Given the choice between Regan Smith and Tony Stewart NASCAR would've written a new rule to ensure Smith didn't win had one not all ready been in place. It should be once the white flag is out anything goes. Racing back to the line should someone crash, the whole bit. Whatever happened to the saying, "All's fair in love, war and the last lap."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:37 pm 
Seems to me to be a judgment call on whether he was forced down or not and I doubt judgment calls in NASCAR could be appealed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd take NASCAR to court if I were Smith/DEI. Being dumped to 18th just isn't on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:44 pm 
Well it is considering that's the standard punishment for this

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:30 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Jim Hunter can go get bent, the pedo looking faggot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

CART fan wrote:
Seems to me to be a judgment call on whether he was forced down or not and I doubt judgment calls in NASCAR could be appealed.

That's exactly why I think the yellow line rule is flawed. It forces NASCAR to make a judgment call, and we know how pathetic they are in being consistent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:39 pm 

Rules are rules and Smith lost according to them. Yeah it's a bullshit rule, but if you go by the rulebook Tony was the winner.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So then are we saying that NASCAR made the wrong call on Jr's pass on Kenseth at Talladega in '03, and the same for Benson at Daytona in '07?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:51 pm 

Gael wrote:
So then are we saying that NASCAR made the wrong call on Jr's pass on Kenseth at Talladega in '03, and the same for Benson at Daytona in '07?

If you go by the assanine rules laid out by the sanctioning body, yes they made the wrong call.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I keep trying to come up with an idea that would work better than the yellow line rule.. but I can't think of any. The only real option to prevent having to make judgment calls would be to eliminate it completely.. but they'd never do that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:14 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Gael wrote:
I keep trying to come up with an idea that would work better than the yellow line rule.. but I can't think of any. The only real option to prevent having to make judgment calls would be to eliminate it completely.. but they'd never do that.

have grass all the way up to the racing surface....or maybe rumble strips like they have or used to have at Indy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't know how NASCAR can possibly justify giving Tony Stewart the win based on what NASCAR ruled in the passed. Everybody who isn't blind can plainly see that Regan Smith was forced below the yellow line. NASCAR rewarded the guy who forced Smith down there and is punishing the guy who was forced down there. DEI has every right to appeal the decision. They have the video evidence and they can bring the article with the quotes from the NASCAR spokesperson from 2007 with them to their appeal. NASCAR made a terrible call yesterday. Regan Smith was absolutely robbed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thinking about it now.. this is probably great for NASCAR. Controversy is their best friend it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeaa then when the controversy dies down they'll probably reverse the call to get people talking again :whistling:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:40 pm 

They should clarify what the criteria is for someone to have been "forced" beneath the line. I mean, should you have to be at his rear quarter panel? His door? Perfectly even with him?? No one knows. So right now it basically comes down to whether they want you to be penalized or not.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1614 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81 Next