TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous 139 40 41 42 43 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:23 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think one reason that Jr and other drivers are bitching more this time was because it happened on the last lap. A lot of those Chase guys had made it through 498 miles of Talladega and were in sight of a potential top 10 finish and an awesome points day, only to get wrecked in the last corner and finish 25th. For Jr, it pretty much fucked him in the points. But that's Talladega, and they knew this would happen going in, and the majority of the fans love that type of close racing and huge packs, and it should definitely be in the Chase. If people think Talladega being in the Chase takes away from it being a legitimate championship, then I guess every other Chase didn't count then because Talladega was in there, and every championship since restrictor plates were introduced is illegitimate because there were FOUR plate races that counted for points. Talladega is an integral part of the schedule and it always should be, and it will probably always tear up a ton of cars, but that's just how it is and everybody has to deal with the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I like Dale Jr. and I understand him being mad about yesterday, but would he be saying the same thing if he would have some how got through that wreck and finished 2nd? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thing is you can make up excuses for Dega till the cows come home but the fact remains that it is a race where 99% of a successful result depends on luck. Is it a good show? Heck yes. Is it fair to the drivers for it to be a points race? Absolutely not. Not when driving skill only comes into play when you have to avoid a wreck and your finishing position is for a very, very large part dependent on where the Big One or other people's actions spits you out in the finishing order. I would have zero problem with it if the four plate races were non-points big money events held on a off-week at each quarter of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Then again, motorsport is quite often not fair.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:32 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

No, but you are usually able to create your own luck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Woodski wrote:
Fabs wrote:
I don't think they would have ever made it through the tri oval :p

Trioval is much wider.

I know, but with the pushing and shoving going towards the finish line, that would have never held up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:54 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

What I want to know is:

If that had happened coming to the WHITE flag instead of the chequered, who would be left to take the restart? :?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 pm 

:matt: and JAFF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kyle, Biffle and many walking wounded.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
What I want to know is:

If that had happened coming to the WHITE flag instead of the chequered, who would be left to take the restart? :?

I would suspect they would've waited until Kenseth got to the line before throwing the caution in that scenario.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I bet this is what Biffle felt like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:38 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Similar things happened at the finish in the 2007 Daytona 500, 2001 Dega race (where Labonte flipped), and the second Daytona race this year, yet I don't remember anyone saying things should be changed back then. Did people drive like idiots to cause those wrecks? Definitely. Did drivers who did everything right all day get wrecked because of bad luck? Yes. But the same thing can happen everywhere, maybe not as many cars at once, but it still happens. It happened at Martinsville this year when a couple guys forgot to use the brake pedal and took out Gordon and Johnson, who had led all day and were going to finish 1-2. Luck plays a huge part in Nascar, and to be a champion you have to have a good amount of lucky breaks throughout the year, as Johnson proved a few years ago. If racing was fair then the same cars would be finishing up front every week and no one would watch it because it's just the same shit over and over again, which pretty much sums up this year besides a few interesting races. But all this arguing is pointless because the new cars next year will change everything yet again and the plate package will be probably be a lot different than what we saw yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:21 am 

RtN wrote:
He is a representative of IndyCar and he is criticising the whole of NASCAR's fanbase for liking this sort of racing.

Can't blame a guy who experienced Vegas 2011 for hating pack racing, can you?

Quote:
Finally, this accident did not happen because of pack racing.

In the non-pack racing days, an accident like this would've screwed up the few cars that ran in mini-packs... not the entire field. The pack racing leads directly to these 20-30 car megawrecks. Whether you like it or not is up to style preference I guess, but I've never been a fan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think it's the most exciting form of racing I've ever seen when it's done right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And the thing is, NASCAR drivers saying they wouldn't race here if they didn't have to are kidding themselves. Talladega/Daytona is a big part of NASCAR's image and the reason why everyone gets such a fat paycheck, these guys need to realise where their bread is buttered.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

electrodevo wrote:
In the non-pack racing days, an accident like this would've screwed up the few cars that ran in mini-packs... not the entire field. The pack racing leads directly to these 20-30 car megawrecks. Whether you like it or not is up to style preference I guess, but I've never been a fan.

But they didn't race in a megapack all race though did they? And they managed to go right to the end till a big one. The ONLY reason they were all in one huge pack, 4 wide is because they had a late race caution which bunched them up.

I like this form of racing on these tracks. Yes there will be a huge wreck every so often, and yes there is quite a lot of luck involved. But anyone suggesting that these tracks are 100% pure luck is wrong, and anyone suggesting that luck doesn't play into other races is also wrong.

I think having a plate race represented in this form in the Chase is a good thing, and I think a Road Course should also be added (adding a 3rd race, not moving one into it). Some drivers can sit and moan about how it's unlucky that they got taken out, which isn't fair for the championship, but at the same time, if it wasn't for the retarded chase system then they wouldn't have been granted free points and the ability to fight for a title that they never could've done without it...so tough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Interesting to think that Mikey or Casey would probably have won the race. To be fair to Mears, he drove a fantastic race, and didn't deserve it to end that way.

But yay, BK Racing top 10!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

© Devin Smrekar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Baggage doors are on the right side of a 737 and the cargo bin doors open into the plane not out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:21 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Tristar 7AT wrote:
Baggage doors are on the right side of a 737 and the cargo bin doors open into the plane not out.

Also you can't open the windows and people sit inside the planes, not outside.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous 139 40 41 42 43 Next