TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 517 Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jeff wrote:
Dan Belcher and I will be at DuQuoin for the ARCA race. Looking forward to it.

ARCA on dirt. That's real racin' as fuck. NASCAR, take notes. This is how you should be doing things. :flag:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:31 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

That's what they should do with Bristol right there. To hell with progressive banking or one-lane tracks, just rip the pavement up and turn it into a dirt track. That'd own.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey, for those who remember, Bristol has been dirt before so..... Let's do it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have absolutely no problem with that.

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:42 pm 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

This thread has already made my day. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:58 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Stock cars racing on dirt at Bristol is such a horrendous idea. :lol:

For the most part, I really don't get the whole love affair with stock cars racing on dirt. Even on some of the bigger/faster tracks the light, specially-built dirt late models strike me as really slow and clumsy. If I'm going to bother watching a dirt race I want to see sprint cars (with or without the wings) really get after it and tear around the track like hell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's probably because it's such a rare thing these days.

After all, stock car racing as we know it started on dirt, and because of that, modern day stock car racing running on dirt, is real racin'.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Even if it weren't for a points event I'd love to see it happen just once to see what it would be like; a Cup race on dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chris A wrote:

For the most part, I really don't get the whole love affair with stock cars racing on dirt. Even on some of the bigger/faster tracks the light, specially-built dirt late models strike me as really slow and clumsy. If I'm going to bother watching a dirt race I want to see sprint cars (with or without the wings) really get after it and tear around the track like hell.

Ever been down to Bluegrass Speedway in Bardstown? The track prep crew there doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, so the track gets really rubbered up and single-groove by the time feature races roll around, but the first few laps of the Late Model features and pretty much all of the heat races are intense. Those cars are wicked fast. Totally recommend it sometime, it's not too long of a drive really from Louisville.

That being said, ARCA cars on dirt is different. They don't slam the car down into the corner sideways because they aren't built to do that. But it still is extremey cool to watch. Lots of slip-sliding and countersteering, but they're still moving fairly fast. (As badly as I've seen a few cars get torn up at DuQuoin, you can tell they were going fast enough to hit the wall a ton) And it makes for great racing with lots of passing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:11 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

A couple of things...

I saw a picture of Frank Kimmel upside down one one of the dirt tracks one time back when he was driving the 46 car. Anyone remember when that was?

And also, I thought it was funny that in that Sears Point finish, Bob Jenkins said Tommy Kendall had a bright future in Winston Cup Racing. I think he was only running the road course races then, and did he even make a Cup start after that race? I can't remember that he ever did.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:11 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Those who complain about NASCAR today need to watch The Day: The 1992 Hooters 500 which premiered on Speed tonight. Just got done watching myself. If you can find a tape of this race in its entirety or just watch this show on Speed, it will show you how GOOD NASCAR used to be. That race to me will always be the most dramatic race, start to finish, that has ever happened. Brought back some great, yet also incredibly sad memories in light of what happened the following season following that race.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:04 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I have this race, drama all the way

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Starlancer wrote:
People will always bitch about everything. No matter how good something is, they will bitch about it until it's gone, then bitch about it being gone and how the old days were so much better.

I'm not saying that the current state of NASCAR is good, but you guys bitch about everything incessantly, and it's really, really old.

Good thing you're better than that.

Schumifan wrote:
Starlancer wrote:
People will always bitch about everything. No matter how good something is, they will bitch about it until it's gone, then bitch about it being gone and how the old days were so much better.

I'm not saying that the current state of NASCAR is good, but you guys bitch about everything incessantly, and it's really, really old.

hey how about that paul menard, he seems like a pretty cool guy

So, not going to actually argue me on the point, but just fall back to past things I've done.

I see.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Starlancer wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
Starlancer wrote:

Good thing you're better than that.

Schumifan wrote:
Starlancer wrote:

hey how about that paul menard, he seems like a pretty cool guy

So, not going to actually argue me on the point, but just fall back to past things I've done.

I see.
Thats what most people on here do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SecretAgentHarvick wrote:
Those who complain about NASCAR today need to watch The Day: The 1992 Hooters 500 which premiered on Speed tonight. Just got done watching myself. If you can find a tape of this race in its entirety or just watch this show on Speed, it will show you how GOOD NASCAR used to be. That race to me will always be the most dramatic race, start to finish, that has ever happened. Brought back some great, yet also incredibly sad memories in light of what happened the following season following that race.

Looking back, I can hardly find anything wrong with that race. It was a championship battle done right. No Chase, no points resets, no wild cards, no montone Marty Reid or driver favoritism from the booth. Just enough action and drama to keep you watching, even during the "boring" parts.

In my opinion, it just might be the closest thing to "the perfect NASCAR race" that I can imagine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just started watching that race on youtube. Thanks for the heads up. Very exciting so far! Just a shame I already know the result!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Been watching quite a few old races recently, I have to say that the racing I've seen was better. Even watched a Bristol race where a car spun, hit the inside wall and there was no caution for it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I love going back to watch old races, too... it's a project of mine to go back and recap them, and I'm enjoying it a bunch. If there's a boring race on Sunday, I like to bury my sorrows in a VHS tape on Monday. lol

Still, maybe it's just because I'm not a pessimist (no offense, but there are a lot of 'em here), but I like to take races one by one. One Sunday will be fantastic, the next, maybe not so much. The Chase vs. No Chase debate will go on forever, the alarmingly large number of douchebags (and talentless douchebags) might continue for a bit, and the lower-tiered series may have become a joke.

But hell, what the hell else am I gonna do on Sunday? Go to church??? Watch football?

I'd rather stab myself in the face with a soldering iron, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also, only one person is quicker than Denny Hamlin in first practice, and that's Brad Keselowski. I find that particularly awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:42 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Chris A wrote:

Especially since when Motors TV were showing ARCA for a couple of years, the only dirt track I saw them show didn't actually have all that much dirt on it, more a "dry line" of tarmac and dirt on the inside...

But hey, I'm just a Brit, what the hell would I know!

(The novelty of it appealed to me though, just a shame, as I say, there wasn't much dirt on this so-called dirt track)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 517 Next