TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Local Racing Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:24 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I decided to start this thread as a place for everyone to discuss events that take place at the local or regional level that typically don't get a whole lot of attention. I'm primarily going to be talking about short track racing in Virginia and North Carolina but I welcome discussion of local and regional events from around the world.

The NASCAR Whelen Modifieds had a tire testing session at Bristol Motor Speedway yesterday, for the combined North/South race on August 19, in which they broke the track record of 14.908 set by Ryan Newman in 2003. L.W. Miller topped the charts at 14.742 with a restrictor plate, later they took the plates off for some unrestricted testing leading to Ted Christopher turning a fast lap of 14.479.
http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/new ... 44139.html

The UCAR Clash for Cash Series, which is a regional touring series for the entry level UCAR division that's featured at a number of tracks in VA and NC, is going to be testing on the Patriot Course at VIR on March 1, the first time this series has ever visited a road course. There is a promise of a non-points race to take place at VIR some time in the summer.

My (as well as Denny Hamlin's) home track, Southside Speedway, has announced they will hold a non-point 175 lap Charity Late Model race for the Denny Hamlin Foundation. Hamlin, Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart, Joey Logano, and Curtis Markham are expected to be participating in the race. I'm expecting this to be a big event since last year it drew the biggest field of cars the Late Model division saw all year at 27 cars. This will be the third year this event has been held, previous winners are Kyle Busch in 2008 and Chris Hopkins in 2007 with Hamlin finishing 4th in 2008 and 2nd in 2007.

Last edited by Taylor on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 19 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Austin Hubbard, Virginia Motor Speedway Late Model Division champion and World of Outlaws Late Model series competitor, will be running a partial schedule in the Late Model division on the asphalt at Langley Speedway. According to his website he'll be running a full dirt Late Model schedule in addition to the partial schedule at Langley.
http://www.austinhubbard.com/news.htm?s ... om=&ucat=&

This Saturday I'm going to be down at Wake County Speedway in Raleigh, NC for the UCAR Clash for Cash Series race on March 21, where I've been told I'll have a free pit pass waiting for me. As long as everything goes to plan I should have plenty of video from the event including both onboard video and external video from the stands. It should be a pretty good race since I've heard they're expecting 30+ cars from NC, VA, and SC. Anyone in the area should check it out since tickets are only $5.
http://www.ucarclash.com/

Also, RaceRap.com will be posting live updates from the event on Saturday.
http://www.racerap.com

The PASS Super Late Model Series will be closing out their 2009 season in November with the Thanksgiving Classic, a non-points race at Southern National Raceway Park. This is great news since just a couple months ago it looked like SNRP would be closed for 2009. This will be a two day event with PASS Super Late Models and support divisions. PASS is a sanctioning body with a number of regional touring series, PASS South features races in NC, GA, TN, VA, and SC.
http://www.racewithpass.com/2009/news/S ... _3-16.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:45 pm 

Location: Augusta, Georgia. First joined TBK july 2002 as alltel#12fan
my local track is the myrtle beach speedway. the track has so much history. there is talk that it might be sold. :x also whatever happened to hooters pro cup?? they run in myrtle beach but i heard the series lost sponsorship. i also have video i took from a local sat. night race last weekend ill post it soon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:15 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Matt Clendenning wrote:
also whatever happened to hooters pro cup??

The series is still alive as USAR Pro Cup. They've discarded the North/South format and held their first race at Concord two weeks ago. Unfortunatley it only drew 21 cars. :(

They'll be at Myrtle Beach on June 20.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:14 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

If a mod/admin sees this would you please move this thread into the NASCAR subforum.
*edit* Thanks

Matt Clendenning wrote:
my local track is the myrtle beach speedway. the track has so much history. there is talk that it might be sold. :x

There's talk like that going on at a lot of local tracks thanks to the current economic conditions.
If people want to keep their local track running they have go out and support it as often as possible.

There's a Pro Cup Series discussion thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1744

I'm a bit under the weather this week but I'm still going to attempt the triple this weekend.
I'll be attending Southside Speedway tonight, Langley Speedway on Saturday, and Rockingham for the ARCA race on Sunday.
Maybe I'll get something crazy on video again this week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:48 pm 

watched a great season opener at Wall Stadium last night. The main event was a 100-lap mod race, and Jimmy Blewett in a brand new car, held off being slammed into the back on multiple occasions, and won.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:05 pm 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

I've got a family member who can get me into the pits at New Symrna Speedway :D

We'll probably go next weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:52 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Our season started up here Friday night at Can Am Speedway in Lafargeville, NY, a fast 4/10 mile dirt track, Saturday night was rained out unfortunately. Track was in perfect shape, smooth but on the hard slick side which caught some people out, but a great job to get the track prepped considering our last snowfall was a little more than a week ago. OK crowd, but a great car count, 27 Street Stocks and 58 DIRT Sportsman, by my count, which made for a long night, Ron Wadforth won the SS and Chris Raabe got his first of what should be multiple wins in the Sportsman division.

Raabe will be making a few starts for Peter Gibbons in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series this year. I watched him race a few times at other tracks last year and the kid has a lot of talent, didn't matter where he started, he would get to the front, a very smooth and patient driver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:06 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

jeffdale24 wrote:
watched a great season opener at Wall Stadium last night. The main event was a 100-lap mod race, and Jimmy Blewett in a brand new car, held off being slammed into the back on multiple occasions, and won.

If I end up going up to NJ to see some family in the summer I'm definitely stopping at Wall Stadium to see a race.

joha107 wrote:
OK crowd, but a great car count, 27 Street Stocks and 58 DIRT Sportsman, by my count, which made for a long night.

Was that a special event or is that how many cars the track draws on a weekly basis?

markmartinfan wrote:
Maybe I'll get something crazy on video again this week.

Unbelievably, I got a flip on video for the second week in a row at Langley Speedway, which I'll be posting soon in the Crash Videos section. I'm amazed because I went to 30+ asphalt short track races last year and never saw a single flip and now I've gotten one on video two weeks in a row.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:10 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

markmartinfan wrote:

joha107 wrote:
OK crowd, but a great car count, 27 Street Stocks and 58 DIRT Sportsman, by my count, which made for a long night.

Was that a special event or is that how many cars the track draws on a weekly basis?

Sportsman was a series race so thats a little more than we will draw on an average night, but they are running several high purse Sportsman races this year so we should get some big fields throughout the year, probably at least 35-40 cars based on last year. SUNY Canton which is one of the area colleges has been sponsoring these high purse races for the Sportsman and the Street Stock for the past couple years and they always bring in a great field of cars. They also upped the purse on regular nights for the Street Stock along with the high purse races so that should bring a good field on a regular night.

We switched to Friday nights this year, and I anticipate a good turnout for Sportsman and SS because we aren't really competing with any nearby tracks for those cars, likewise we might have a better crowd because of that. Our DIRT Modified car count on the other hand is an unknown, the economy isn't helping things either in the high dollar classes. We do have a couple bright spots in the season, the WOO Late Models will be making their first ever appearence on June 22, and local drivers Tim Fuller and Tim McCreadie (if he's back healthy) will return and put on a good show. We also have back to back nights for of sprint car racing on July 4th weekend which brought in a packed house last year, by far my favorite, those cars are scary fast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:04 pm 

jeffdale24 wrote:

It wasn't a brand new car, it was a car he had driven in the past that had been sold a few times that he recently bought again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:22 pm 

roushman31 wrote:
jeffdale24 wrote:

It wasn't a brand new car, it was a car he had driven in the past that had been sold a few times that he recently bought again.

My baddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Did you go to the race?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:04 am 

Nope, had open practice at Stafford, brand new engine broke 6 laps into practice. Lovely. I'd like to try and get to wall sometime this year though, I've never been.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:27 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

joha107 wrote:
markmartinfan wrote:

joha107 wrote:

Sportsman was a series race so thats a little more than we will draw on an average night, but they are running several high purse Sportsman races this year so we should get some big fields throughout the year, probably at least 35-40 cars based on last year. SUNY Canton which is one of the area colleges has been sponsoring these high purse races for the Sportsman and the Street Stock for the past couple years and they always bring in a great field of cars. They also upped the purse on regular nights for the Street Stock along with the high purse races so that should bring a good field on a regular night.

We switched to Friday nights this year, and I anticipate a good turnout for Sportsman and SS because we aren't really competing with any nearby tracks for those cars, likewise we might have a better crowd because of that. Our DIRT Modified car count on the other hand is an unknown, the economy isn't helping things either in the high dollar classes. We do have a couple bright spots in the season, the WOO Late Models will be making their first ever appearence on June 22, and local drivers Tim Fuller and Tim McCreadie (if he's back healthy) will return and put on a good show. We also have back to back nights for of sprint car racing on July 4th weekend which brought in a packed house last year, by far my favorite, those cars are scary fast.

Ransomville Speedway always has a good turnout of DIRT Sportsman and DIRT Modefieds. Always a ton of street stocks there also.

I'm getting my street stock ready to run at Dunn Tire Raceway Park in a few weeks. GUnna be anxious to see if the first ever motor I build myself is gunna run good or not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:35 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bluegrass Speedway here in Bardstown,KY opened this past weekend. My cousin races in the Street Stock division,but unfortunately DNS-ed in the feature.

Quote:
Street Stocks (13 entries)

1st Heat- Brad Leake, Shane Lafollette, Mike Cozzin, Jr., Johnny King

2nd Heat- Timmy Glazer, Roy Skaggs, Johnny Cecil, Jason Bartley

Feature- Mike Cozzin, Jr., Shane Lafollette, Timmy Glazer, Brad Leake, Johnny Cecil, Roy Walker, Terry Bartley, Brian Derringer, Johnny King, Jason Bartley, Steve Thompson, Joe Walker (DNS-Willie Edelen)

Next time I see him I'll have to ask what happened.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:57 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I have a pretty sweet announcement to make in regards to my videos.

I'm going to be the official videographer at Langley Speedway this year.
I'm really excited about this opportunity, especially since now I have full access to the track and I'll actually be getting paid to do something I enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:59 am 

My home track is the La Crosse Fairgrounds Speedway in West Salem, WI. Two years ago, Steve Carlson earned his 10th NASCAR championship by winning the NASCAR Whelen All American Series National Championship. His other nine championships came in the now defunct NASCAR Elite Series. Then there is Cole Howland, a 17 year old high school junior who will be making his debut in the NASCAR Kwik Trip Late Models, however, last year he finished eighth in the United States Super Truck point standings. Car count is usually pretty strong with Late Models usually being around 25, Sportsmen being around 35 and Thunderstox being around 35. The speedway's website is http://www.lacrossespeedway.com . Some videos can be found here: http://www.cc1063.com/lets_go_racing/videos/ (hint: watch this one and notice one car slipping through a hole smaller than itself. That's me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlfl5lLF30) My in-car videos can be found here:http://www.youtube.com/user/lre4973 I have some homework videos on there - don't pay attention to those. Tomorrow night is opening night. I won't be out there due to budget tightening, but I will be out there next week with the camera in the car.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:45 pm 

Matt Clendenning wrote:
my local track is the myrtle beach speedway. the track has so much history. there is talk that it might be sold. :x also whatever happened to hooters pro cup?? they run in myrtle beach but i heard the series lost sponsorship. i also have video i took from a local sat. night race last weekend ill post it soon.

Have you ever been to Florence Motor Speedway or Dillon Motor Speedway? That's the 2 tracks I go to but I make a Myrtle Beach race every couple of months.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:04 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I just got a new HD video camera and went down to Langley for a bit to test it out while some drivers were testing for tomorrow's race, and I managed to capture a Super Truck spinning in turn 1.

I didn't really think it was worth making a new thread so for anyone who is interested, here is the full 1080p clip.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qeyttqndot2
60 MB; 18 seconds long

BTW, this has worked in both VLC player and Windows Media Player, but it seemed to work better in VLC.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:30 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nice. What camera did you get? Quality looks great.