TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:51 pm 
I guess this could develop into an interesting story

Quote:
Verizon completes buy of Alltel...so...UPDATE: Verizon Wireless on Friday [1/9/2009] completed its $5.9 billion purchase of Little Rock, Ark.-based Alltel Corp., making Verizon the nation's largest mobile phone company. Verizon said Friday it will also take on $22.2 billion in Alltel debt. The buyout is expected to result in the loss of many of the best-paying positions among the nearly 3,000 employees at Alltel's Little Rock headquarters. Verizon picks up Alltel's 12.9 million customers, though 2.1 million of them are in territory that will be sold. Verizon will have 83.7 million total customers before the divestiture. Verizon says Alltel customers do not need to take any action at present, though they will soon receive a letter explaining the transition. Most will be able to keep their same handsets as Verizon and Alltel are on the same system. Alltel customers will see Verizon begin to place its own brand name starting in the second quarter, a process that will continue through the third quarter, Verizon said. As the transition is being made, Alltel's retail stores will remain open. Verizon Wireless announced in June it would buy Alltel. The FCC approved the purchase in November after the Justice Department gave its approval in October. Verizon says the purchase will bring more than $9 billion in synergies from capital and operating expenses, after costs.(Associated Press), no word how this will affect the sponsorship of the #12 Alltel Penske Racing Dodge of David Stremme, Penske Racing has said in the past, they were good with Alltel thru 2009.(1-15-2009)
UPDATE: Last night (January 14, 2009) on “Dialed In” on SIRIUS NASCAR Radio, host Claire B. Lang spoke with Penkse Racing president Tim Cindric about Verizon’s purchase of Alltel Corp. and what effect it might have on Alltel’s sponsorship of the #12 Alltel Penske Racing Dodge of David Stremme.
Host Claire B. Lang: “You’re headed to Daytona. Alltel, at this point, is on the car?”
Penske Racing president Tim Cindric: “Certainly as we work through this I wouldn’t speculate in what form or how or how it is all going to turn out because we really haven’t gotten to the point where it makes sense to really speculate on how it’s going to look, how we’re going to present ourselves, what our strategy is going to be. Because we’re looking for some direction and in those situations sometimes you have to sit on the sidelines a little bit to understand exactly what all that means. And right now we’re just starting to get the focus of the people who make those kinds of decisions.”
Lang: “So the contract runs and stays?”
Cindric: “They (Verizon) take on the obligations of the people they acquire, I guess, and obviously they have stipulations with how they have to do their business when these things occur and I don’t pretend to understand it all.”
Lang: “You know for sure that NASCAR’s not going to let you take Alltel off the car and put Verizon on.”
Cindric: “That’s what I’ve understood. We’ve all watched how it all played out in the past. Anything that we do we certainly do in step with everybody else.”
Cindric: “The good thing with David [Stremme] is he’s really focused on driving the race car and letting the other things around him take their course. And to him, however it sorts out, he said to me, ‘As long as I know that I’ve got the best people behind me and the best efforts going forward the rest of it will sort itself out. I’m just fortunate to have this opportunity.’ That’s really the approach that when you hear that it’s refreshing because you know you have someone that has focus.”(SIRIUS NASCAR Radio)(1-15-2009)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:52 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Sprint's exclusivity clause is bad for the sport, no matter what they want you to believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

At a time when sponsorship is tight it's foolish to bar interested parties because of an exclusivity clause.

I wonder if it could come under anti-competitive laws...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:26 pm 

I'm not sure. I hope so.

From what I understand, this is called the "Viceroy Rule". Viceroy, a cigarette brand, sponsored the Vel's Parnelli Jones effort in the USAC Marlboro Championship Trail, and absolutely dominated. To keep the title sponsor from being embarassed, they installed that. Personally, I think it's a load of bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:33 pm 
Hmm, not like Marlboro to be involved in unfair deals...

Last edited by Joe A on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off-Topic and slightly irrelevant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:39 pm 

Actually, it was Winston that instituted the Viceroy Rule when they signed on as title sponsors for NASCAR and the NHRA. I'm sorry, I should have said that earlier.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ironic that a simple clause in a sponsorship contract drawn up 5-6 year could be knife right in NASCAR's back in a time where sponsorship means more than ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:38 am 

NASCAR doesn't care if one car goes away. It's just one car. It's a shame that that's the way it is, but Brian France has made it obvious he cares about his pocketbook more than he cares about the health of the sport his father and grandfather loved.