TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:45 am 
Seeing as the season is (finally) over, I didn't want to go into the offseason without talking about who and what'll stick out in my mind regarding this year for years to come. This is basically a sort of ''Awards'' thread, but let's just talk about the season behind us in all three series.

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: David Reutimann - Considering that last year he was making do with a startup team, to see him consistently run with the leaders, score a pole, and almost win a race rekindled the faith I had in him when he first moved up. He's a good driver, he's likeable, and he's performing.

Biggest disappointment: Reed Sorenson - There was plenty of fanfare over Sorenson's performance during Speedweeks this year, but he failed to capitalize, and only managed to tear up cars and drag his team down. I don't expect much out of him at GEM.

Most overrated driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr. - Despite the blind reverence of a ton of dumbfuck fans, all Earnhardt did was win a race on fuel mileage, run mediocre, and show just how uncomfortable he is talking on TV. NASCAR really needs to realize that he's far from being in a league with his father, and does not deserve the same treatment as his father.

Most improved driver: David Ragan - Should be a no brainer. Ragan has proved himself a worthy successor to the #6 car, and has shown he has a good future ahead of him.

Most improved team: Michael Waltrip Racing - After the fiasco they were involved in last year, it's good to see they have their act together. Something tells me they're here to stay for quite some time.

Biggest asshole: Carl Edwards - It's good to see that his nice guy facade is finally peeling off. He's just a goofy motherfucker with a manic personality and no sense of how to be professional. Hopefully we can be rid of him soon.

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell at Texas - It didn't sink in that McDowell was okay until about four hours after the crash, and I was still shaking even then. Certainly a finalist for Crash of the year.

Most LOL wreck: SAM bulldozing Casey Mears at California and sending him onto his roof - May I also add that any wreck that SAM I AM caused deserves an honorable mention?

Race of the year: The AMP Energy 500 at Talladega - Absolutely BOMBING (The finish will tarnish it forever, though)

Driver of the year: Kyle Busch - Even though I went from being okay with him to loathing him to loving him, Busch easily has proven himself to be a wheelman and an entertainer. Shit, even though he didn't win the championship, he deserved it through and through.

Nationwide Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Morgan Shepherd - It really was great to see an independent like him striving to get good finishes, and the help of many people in NASCAR got him a handful of top twenty finishes. Shepherd's still got it, and it did my heart good to see the Green & Gold #89 running well - In God's name especially.

Biggest disappointment: Brad Coleman - Not necessarily performance based, but his career choices have been pretty crap. First leaving Joe Gibbs Racing to drive for an average team, and then to bolt from there for a Cup ride that soon threw him under the bus. It's a shame, especially since he's a good driver.

Most improved driver: Steven Wallace - He went from wrecking every which way to putting down solid runs on a consistent basis. Easily the most dramatic increase in performance, and his tussle with Kyle Busch was funny, too.

Most improved team: CJM Racing - Their decision to move down to Nationwide was a very, very good one - They wound up with a long-term sponsorship, and nabbed themselves two good drivers. I can only expect good things to come from here next year.

Biggest asshole: Denny Hamlin - I know he isn't a Nationwide driver, but his ''Lay over for me, bitch'' attitude towards Nationwide drivers (Which he openly stated at Charlotte) epitomized a complete lack of respect for drivers who were in the position he was in not too long ago. I would've decked him if I were Brad Keselowski.

Biggest wreck: Jeff Green at Charlotte - Seldom have I seen shit like that happen. Very breathtaking.

Most LOL wreck: The LARRY EXPRESS piling into Dario Franchitti at Talladega - I will say that Gunselman made an effort to slow down and, in my mind, was unfairly thrown under the bus by reporters, but to see him make a name for himself by causing a bad wreck like that and injuring a hype-centric driver will be the butt of quite a few jokes in times to come.

Race of the Year: The Zippo 200 at Watkins Glen - The best road course race I have ever seen with stock cars. And to see Ambrose win that race was sweet, too. Montreal was a close second.

Driver of the Year: Brad Keselowski - To see how far Keselowski has come from making ends meet with underfunded teams is proof that there is still hope for the little guy to make it in NASCAR. Two wins, third in points, and his valiant attempt to rain on Clint Bowyer's points parade proved that he has what it takes - Even though the history books won't agree with me, he's a champion as far as I'm concerned.

Truck Series

Thoughts in progress.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:10 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

questions:
1. the phrase "bombed" is a way of describing a negative performance (ex: "that movie cost $100 million to make and it only made $5 million... it totally bombed."). yet you use the phrase "bombing" to describe positive things. i'm not saying you're wrong, it just strikes me as odd.
2. why isn't the Nationwide LOL Wreck of the Year the other Dega wreck (Lepage!)?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:06 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sprint Cup

Most impressive driver: David Reutimann. Made his teammates look second rate, especially over the 2nd half of the season.

Biggest dissapointment: I'm going to go with an entire organisation here, and that's Hall Of Fame Racing. In 2006 and 2007, Tony Raines at least made this team look respectable. This year, with Gibbs equipment and JJ Yeley driving, they were just horrible. Things didn't improve when he got fired, hell even Joey Logano got nothing out of that car. And to top off a disgrace of a season, they fired Brad Coleman after just 1 Sprint Cup race at Michigan. I don't see much improvement from them in 2009.

Most overrated driver: Casey Mears. Why the hell he gets drives from Hendrick and Childress is beyond me. He's always running in the mid-20's every week in some of the best equipment in the field.

Most improved driver: AJ Allmendinger. Considering where he came from last season, to a) get the 84 car back in the top-35 and b) reguarly beat his GEM teammates when he was in the 10 car shows he belongs in stock car racing. I believe Evernham made a mistake in hiring Sorenson instead of Allmendinger next year.

Most improved team: Yates Racing. They were a laughing stock last year, and this year Travis Kvapil and David Gilliland reguarly did a solid job and got top-20's most weeks. Hell, they almost won at Infineon with Gilliland.

Biggest asshole: Kyle Busch. Nuff said.

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell's 8x somersault at Texas, probably the biggest in all of racing this year.

Most LOL wreck: Casey Mears flipping at 15 mph at California. Although an honourable mention goes to David Gilliland trying to drive away with his car on Scott Speed's hood and his rear tires spinning in the air at Phoenix.

Best race: AMP Energy 500, the only Cup race where we had a first time winner (Regan Smith).

Driver of the year: Tie between Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards. I would have been happy if either won the title as both were awesome all season.

Nationwide Series

Most impressive driver: Morgan Shepherd. Put it this way: I would love to be racing for top-20 finishes in my own car when I'm 66 years old. Here's hoping we see him for another 5 years.

Biggest dissapointment: Toyota's domination. It seemed like every race they won no one could get within another zip code of them, and there were other races where no one could touch them but because of other factors they didn't win (see Atlanta, Nashville1). Not good for the general competition.

Most improved driver: Bryan Clauson. I believe this kid has a lot of potential, and he did the best with what he had this year to just lose ROTY to Landon Cassill.

Most improved team: Rusty Wallace, Inc. David Stremme proved how good this team really is, with a couple of 3rds at Dover and Nashville, and numerous top-10's from both drivers. I believe they need to stay a 2-car team to really help Steve Wallace, and a guy like Scott Riggs would be perfect for that team. Honourable mention goes to CJM Racing, although I do have my doubts on Scott Lagasse Jr. He won't be the worst driver for them, but I believe losing Jason Keller has set the team back just a bit.

Biggest asshole: Denny Hamlin, for his actions at Lowe's. I loved it when Brad Keselowski said he doesn't like being raced hard. Honourable mention to Kyle Busch for his actions at Richmond. Steve Wallace said it best: "He's just a little girl".

Biggest wreck: Jeff Green at Lowe's. I think that's the only wreck I've seen live where I've gone "Oh fuck, he's gonna flip..."

Most LOL wreck: Kevin Lepage 's NR2003 shit at Talladega where Carl Edwards mounted the field like a champ.

Race of the year: Kroger 200 at IRP. Apart from Busch and Colin Braun, everyone was side by side, 3-wide and on the grass to make their way to the front. A very enjoyable race.

Driver of the year: Brad Keselowski. He was one of the main reasons why I kept my interest of the Nationwide Series going all year, and to see a kid like him mix it up with the Buschwhackers was just enjoyable to watch. His best drive was at Bristol in August where he won from 37th. That was just awesome and I think he is the next big thing in NASCAR.

Craftsman Truck Series

Most impressive driver: Johnny Benson for his hot streak throughout summer. Won 3 in a row at Kentucky, IRP and Nashville, and if he didn't have problems at Memphis, he could've won 5 in a row (he won the race before Memphis at Milwaukee).

Biggest dissapointment: Jack Sprague. Ran 20-odd races for 0 wins in the 2 truck, and then Ryan Newman comes in in his first CTS start and wins in that truck. And to top it off, Kevin Harvick also won a late season race at Phoenix. I wonder if being #2 to Hornaday set Sprague back this season, cause I don't believe he will be that bad next year.

Most improved driver: Matt Crafton. Went from a guy who seemed content with top-10 finishes every week to a guy who contended for wins week in and week out. His victory lane celebration at Lowe's is something I'll remember for a long time to come.

Most improved team: Can't think of one, so I'll go for best first year team, and that's TRG Motorsports. Donny Lia did very well on the short tracks, including his win at Mansfield, and once TJ Bell arrived to replace Andy Lally, he was a constant threat in the top-10 every week.

Biggest asshole: Kyle Busch, with his apron shots at Atlanta spinning out Colin Braun. That was very stupid in my opinion.

Biggest wreck: PJ Jones going "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" during the Big One at Daytona. That was quite scary to see.

Most LOL wreck: Dunno

Race of the year: Ohio 250, with Starr, Lia and Bodine going 3-wide down the back ON A SHORT TRACK and Lia getting his first win.

Driver of the year: Johnny Benson and Ron Hornaday. To have a championship decided by 7 points after 25 races means that both drivers deserved the title, and you couldn't split either of them. So both of them were the drivers of the year

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:52 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: 43 104 Kevin Lepage Chevrolet J Davis Motorsports.com 94.005 155.021 -20.183
[quote="Crashman"]

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Kyle Busch: Wasn't expecting him to do as good as he did.

Biggest disappointment: Kasey Kahne: Really fell flat on his face after the mid-season surge

Most overrated driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr: See Crashman

Most improved driver: David Ragan: See Crashman

Most improved team: Team Red Bull: After the horrendous season they had last year,it was refreshing to see them challenge for wins.

Biggest asshole: Kyle Busch: Honestly, we didn't see that much douchebaggery in Cup this year. but Kyle had a lot of moments early in the season

Biggest wreck: The Watkins Glen Fiasco

Most LOL wreck: TIE: David Gilliland wrecking Montoya @ Texas and Matt Kenseth sideswiping Allmendinger @ Pheonix

Race of the year: The Daytona 500

Driver of the year: Jimmie Johnson: He peaked at the right time and took a 3rd straight title

Nationwide Series

Driver that impressed you the most: The whole Jimmy Means organization. I never thought that team would ever see a checkered flag,but after Dega they did. and they actually started finishing races.(albeit 10 laps down)

Biggest disappointment: Johnny Sauter: Went from full time driver to having to drive start and park cars.

Most improved driver: Brad Keslowski: It's amazing what you can do with good equipment

Most improved team: JR Motorsports: went from crashing on a daily basis to contending on a daily

Biggest asshole: Kyle Busch @ Dover

Biggest wreck: Larry Gunselman injuring Dario Franchitti @ Dega

Most LOL wreck: The Amazing Kevin LePage incident @ Dega

Race of the Year: Montreal

Driver of the Year: Brad Keslowski: See Crashman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Kyle Busch - Might seem like a strange answer since he was already one of the better drivers but the way he murdered everyone in the first 26 races was really incredible at times.

Biggest disappointment: GEM as a whole. They had a couple wins with Kahne but they really were dreadful for the majority of the year.

Most overrated driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr. - It kinda pains me to say it because I don't have anything against the guy but he really wasn't that impressive considering his move to better equipment. He was fast a lot but he and that team could never seem to make it last a full race.

Most improved driver: David Ragan - Pretty much agree with Crashman on this one.

Most improved team: Michael Waltrip Racing - Didn't really expect much from them this year but Reutimann was impressive in the second half of the year and Waltrip had some really solid runs.

Biggest asshole: Crashman just put this section in so he could keep crying about Carl Edwards.

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell at Texas - Nearly had a panic attack when that one happened. It was surreal (but awesome) to see him out of the car so quickly too; gave everyone very little time to freak out even more.

Most LOL wreck: Mears/Hornish/Earnhardt at California - First, because NASCAR had them racing on a wet track to cause it, and second because it was the slowest, goofiest flip you'll probably see.

Race of the year: Fall race at Dover - it was so good, everyone on here was actually happy and nobody argued about anything. That's incredible.

Driver of the year: Carl Edwards - I'm tempted to agree with Crashman and say Kyle Busch, but the way he just collapsed during the Chase while Edwards became so dominant made the decision for me. He was far more consistent overall. Honorable mention to Johnson for the third consecutive title as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: A.J. Allmendinger. Wow and damn. The improvement that he made as a driver this year alone is phenomenal. Really hope that he gets picked up as EGR's number 4 next year.

Biggest disappointment: Reed Sorenson. Shitty driver with a shitty attitude.

Most overrated driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr.. See Crashman. May have a job on in fending off Mark Martin next year.

Most improved driver: David Ragan. Ended up scoring only 17 fewer points than Matt Kenseth did. What an improvement.

Most improved team: Michael Waltrip Racing. See Crashman. By the end of the year, all 3 cars had their act together in a big way.

Biggest asshole: Carl Edwards. See Crashman. Also, what the fuck was he doing at Talladega?

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell at Texas. The most stringent crash test the CoT will ever take, and it passed.

Most LOL wreck: JPM dumping Kyle Busch under caution at New Hampshire. Mainly because he didn't even do it properly.

Race of the year: The AMP Energy 500 at Talladega. The finish sucked, the tyres sucked, everything else was awesome.

Driver of the year: Season of two halves, wasn't it? Shrub was almost unstoppable in the first part of the year but the same could be said for Johnson once the Chase began. On the whole, I'll go with Busch. A new car, a car that hadn't done anything of note since Labonte left, and he won 8 NSC races with it.

Nationwide Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Morgan Shepherd. See Crashman.

Biggest disappointment: I dunno, no-one has really underperformed this year relative to their equipment.

Most improved driver: Steven Wallace. Similar to A.J.'s story- where had he been hiding this talent?

Most improved team: JR Motorsports. Scored one top-5 finish last year at Kentucky, a race with only 7 Buschwhackers. This year, the team scored 4 victories and mounted a championship challenge. While there is no doubt that Hendrick had a hand in some of that success, especially with the #5 car, it is still a massive improvement on what had been achieved before.

Biggest asshole: Denny Hamlin. See Crashman.

Biggest wreck: Kevin Lepage derps half the field at Talladega.

Most LOL wreck: Kevin Lepage derps half the field at Talladega and then tries to deny it was his fault.

Race of the Year: Montreal. The 30-minute wait whilst they dried the track was irritating, but once it got going, it was something special.

Driver of the Year: Brad Keselowski. Crashman nailed it again. Hopefully Hendrick persuades Earnhardt Jr. to move his team up at some point so that he can get a proper run in the NSC, because he has been mightily impressive already.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:21 pm 
Dale Earnhardt Jr was racing this year?

I honestly completely forgot about him he's been so anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:47 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: A.J. Allmendinger. Someone hire this guy FFS!

Biggest disappointment: Gillett Evernham. Nowhere once again.

Most overrated driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr. This guy gets a Hendrick seat why????????

Most improved driver: David Ragan. Great promise for the future.

Most improved team: Michael Waltrip Racing. See Crashman.

Biggest asshole: Juan Montoya. Once again he's wrecking everyone in sight.

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell at Texas. The most stringent crash test the CoT will ever take, and it passed.

Most LOL wreck: JPM dumping Kyle Busch under caution at New Hampshire.

Race of the year: The AMP Energy 500 at Talladega. Regan Smith won!

Driver of the year: Kyle Busch. Just awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:19 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: AJ Allmendinger. Remember when he was a running joke in NASCAR? You know, when everyone called him "Wallmendinger"? Not anymore. He's got a bright future ahead of him.

Biggest disappointment: Jeff Gordon, for the simple fact that he didn't win once this season. I don't know how he did, there could be thousands of explanations, but his season was just remarkably disappointing.

Most overrated driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr. It actually hurts to pick him as most overrated, but after all the hype of him and Hendrick being unstoppable, he only won once. With the hype he and Hendrick received, you would have expected him to win at least 10 times this year. Guess not.

Most improved driver: David Ragan. Duh. Remember when he was dangerous to be around on the track? You know, when Tony Stewart called him a "dart without feathers"? I do, and I am very impressed with his progress. He will win a few races next year.

Most improved team: Michael Waltrip Racing. They've come a long way from failing to make every race and Michael Waltrip having negative points. Reutimann had a lot of good runs in the second half, and it won't be long before Reutimann wins one.

Biggest asshole: Carl Edwards. One of the most insincere people I've ever met, and that includes my ex-girlfriend.

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell at Texas. I didn't see the crash live, but I still understood the violence of the wreck when I saw the replays.

Most LOL wreck: The wreck at Watkins Glen in August, just for how it started and how everyone piled in.

Race of the year: The fall race at Talladega. Wild action, great finish.

Driver of the year: Jimmie Johnson, for obvious reasons.

Nationwide Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Morgan Shepherd. See Crashman's explanation.

Biggest disappointment: None that I can think of.

Most improved driver: Steven Wallace. Where did he come from? He was another running joke, and it was almost guaranteed you'd see him crash at least once in a race. I'd like to know who mentored him, because they did a damn fine job of turning him into a competent, solid competitor.

Most improved team: CJM Racing. Weren't they field fillers in a series not long ago? Not anymore. This team has the possibility to challenge for wins now.

Biggest asshole: Denny Hamlin. His behavior at Charlotte was hilarious.

Biggest wreck: The Big One at Talladega. Again, I didn't see the wreck live, I saw the wreck with a bunch of friends at a bowling alley, but we knew it was a big one.

Most LOL wreck: The Big One at Talladega, simply for how it was called.

Race of the Year: I'm not sure.

Driver of the Year: Brad Keselowski. Became one of my favorite drivers this year. He's got a lot of talent, and the ability to make it in Cup. Plus, the fact that he didn't fall for Mark Martin's "I am so sorry, I didn't mean to get into you" bullshit at Las Vegas is a plus.

Craftsman Truck Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Kyle Busch, for one moment in Atlanta in March, right after he had some kind of problem early on that sent him to the back of the field. He made this charge up to the front that was one of the most awesome charges I've ever seen in racing, going through the apron, making passes where people thought they couldn't make passes. That was awesome to see.

Biggest disappointment: Jack Sprague. Wasn't he supposed to be challenging for the title in Harvick's equipment, alongside Hornaday? Guess not.

Most overrated driver: Jack Sprague. Wasn't he supposed to be winning in Harvick's equipment? Guess not.

Most improved driver: T.J. Bell had some great runs this year.

Biggest asshole: That official that imposed himself on that Germain racing crew member in New Hampshire. "LET GO OF ME!"

Biggest wreck: P.J. Jones at Daytona.

Most LOL wreck: David Starr vs. Germain Racing at New Hampshire. That was hilarious, and Starr's psychotic when he's pissed.

Race of the year: Mansfield. One of the few times I jumped up and screamed at the TV in celebration this year.

Driver of the year: Johnny Benson and Ron Hornaday.

Last edited by Joe A on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:39 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Regan Smith. Rookie of the year. Not a DNF to his name. And a win at Talladega......well, a technical win.

Biggest disappointment: David Gilliland. This is a personal choice, simply for the fact that I considered him an oncoming talent, someone that, if showed enough promise this year, I think could be successful in a better car. But then texas rolled around, and attempted murder on a columbian driver is a little less than classy if you as me. Gilliland dissapointed me!

Most overrated driver: Jeff Gordon. Jeff and his team I don't think quite have a handle on these cars. His first season in what, 14 years has ended winless? But yet DuPont was still plastered all over race coverage!

Most improved driver: David Ragan. Absolutely agree with a lot of you. Ragan will be in victory lane next season. No doubt about it.

Most improved team: Michael Waltrip Racing - After the fiasco they were involved in last year, it's good to see they have their act together. Something tells me they're here to stay for quite some time.

Biggest asshole: David Gilliland. No explanation needed. One brainfart gives him the asshole award!

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell at Texas - No explanation needed. He was one 'lucky dog.'

Most LOL wreck: Speed and Gilliland at Phoenix. Speeds explanation of the happenings made it my vote for LOL Wreck!

Race of the year: The AMP Energy 500 at Talladega. Great race, simply for the fact that two drivers one that race. One won the race, then other got the trophy and paycheck. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, I am a Tony fan thru and thru, but what is the first principle of winning any type of race? Cross the finish line first. I hope there are some rule changes coming.

Driver of the year: Chad Knaus and Carl Edwards. I include Chad for the fact that the only real record actually BEAT this year was three championships for this crew chief. Jimmie only tied a record, Chad beat one. Carl Edwards was one of the most entertaining drivers on track this year. Kansas City, great example. Too bad none of the other drivers play videos games, and care about how exciting the races are. If NASCAR ends up with 43 Jimmie Johnsons, no emotion showing, boring ass drivers, NASCAR will be in trouble. Thanks for adding excitement this year Carl. :thumbsup:

Just wanted to add two drivers, with my thoughts on their performance.

First of all, Dale Earnhardt Jr. This year, his relative consistency has impressed me. New team, and one sputtering win. OK. Now, if he can't perform this coming season, with at least one or two SOLID RACE wins, where he beats the 42 other guys with a fast car, then the hype should still be valid, but until then, we will have to wait and see. Last chance Junior, get into victory lane next year the right way, or some fans might jump the band wagon.

Kyle Busch. Still a spoiled little rich boy if you ask me. The way he treated his team early in the chase when he was having all his problems made the decision for me. Great job in all those wins before the chase buddy, but those wins would have never come without the crazy good team backing you, and way to throw them under them bus as soon as a sawy bar bolt breaks............not very classy if you ask me.

Just my two canadian cents.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: David Ragan. Should win a couple of races next year.

Biggest disappointment: Chip Ganassi w/Felix Sabates & the #24 team.

Most overrated driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Most improved driver: David Ragan.

Most improved team: Red Bull #83

Biggest asshole: Denny Hamlin.

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell at Texas.

Most LOL wreck: Casey Mears & Hornish Jr. in California.

Race of the year: Talladega Fall Race (187 of the 188 laps) and Dover Fall

Driver of the year: Kyle Busch. It is a pain to see him running 1st, but he was the best all season and some fuck ups by his team blew his championship chances.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:58 pm 
Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: I'm biased, but Montoya. He is really improving on the ovals now, really taking his machinery places it shouldn't be, especially as an ex-open wheel driver

Biggest disappointment: Could list a few - Dodge were pretty shit in general again, Jaff, Kevin and Matt with no wins (JG never looked like winning all year - iirc I mentioned the possibility of him not winning early on and it was dismissed), Tony with just 1 win, Earnhardt Jr fading into obscurity, DEI not winning a race...not including Hornish because it wasn't that big of a surprise to see him being useless

Most overrated driver: One of Mears, Earnhardt Jr and Kurt Busch

Most improved driver: There were a few youngster that came through this year - Ragan, Reutimann, Almirola, Smith, plus Montoya who is still relatively inexperienced. So I'll go for JPM because I'm biased again

Most improved team: Despite the typically Red Bull pissing about with drivers, I'll go for Red Bull Racing

Biggest asshole: Earl

Biggest wreck: Got to be McDowell

Most LOL wreck: Mears and Hornish is one, plus the one that caused the typical spergfest after Spring Dega and the Big One at Fall Dega that took out most of the main contenders

Race of the year: Fall Dega

Driver of the year: Earl was probably the most consistent of the front-runners as far as wins go, winning at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the season

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:32 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Kyle Busch - Despite the fact that he's an asshole, he can drive. The way he raped the first 26 races is far impressive in my book...

Biggest disappointment: Kyle Busch - ...Only to wither it away during the final ten races. Honorable Mention goes to Dario Francitti.

Most overrated driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr. - I hate to bicker on my favorite driver, but this is a very big disappointment. He only won one race (on fuel mileage, at that) throughout the 36-race season. He would have won like 4-6 more if it weren't for the pit road follies (I WANNA PIT! OH SHIT, I PASSED THE ENTERANCE! :C)

Most improved driver: David Ragan - See: Crashman

Most improved team: Michael Waltrip Racing - See: Crashman

Biggest asshole: Carl Edwards - Carl, this is not a video game. You can't divebomb and hit the wall in hopes to not shave off speed in order to win, and you can't do what Dale Jr. loves to do at Talladega in the corners. The fact that he's a wanna-be tough guy pisses me the fuck off as well.

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell at Texas - AHHHH KRASHAAA!!!!! HUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! MORISHAUA KRASHAAAAA!!!!! Okay, but he did prove that the COT is tough as nails. Very glad to see him walk away.

Most LOL wreck: Auto Club 500 - Either Casey Mears can't drive or the track officials are very stupid in letting the cars race on the partially wet track. The fact that Sam rear-ended him (or how he did that) is hiliarious. If anything, that should not be counted as a flip.

Race of the year: The AMP Energy 500 at Talladega - WTF was Goodyear thinking? Also, WTF was NASCAR thinking? The race was awesome, though.

Driver of the year: Kyle Busch - See: Driver you impressed with.

Nationwide Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Brad Keselowski - Of all the non-Whackers, he impressed me the most. Sure, HMS equipment did play a role in that, but he can be a serious contender...a very serious contender.

Biggest disappointment: Dario Francitti - even with NBS experience, he can still find ways to screw up. I honestly thought he's going to do well...guess not.

Most improved driver: Steven Wallace - It's official: Steven does not trash cars on purpose anymore. Either he runs solidly or someone screws up and takes out Wallace.

Most improved team: JR Motorsports - I wouldn't be surprised if Junior decides to bring this team to Cup-level. For many reasons.

Biggest asshole: Denny Hamlin - I don't know...it's either Joey Logano or him...they have one thing in common: They think they're so up there.

Biggest wreck: Kevin LePaige at Talladega - Seeing Edwards fly up in the air is very astonishing.

Most LOL wreck: Kevin LePaige at Talladega - Seeing how Edwards fly up in the air...well...Hey Kevin, you don't merge in front of traffic and expect to pick up the draft that fast you derp!

Race of the Year: *this space left inentionally blank*

Driver of the Year: Brad Keselowski - See: Driver impressed you the most.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:51 pm 

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: David Ragan: Almost broke into the chase, consistently finished near or within the top 15. He used to be an on-track hazard but has earned so much respect of his peers, and the fans.

Biggest disappointment: Reed Sorenson - Perhaps this can be partially blamed on Ganassi, but damn he had a horrible year.

Most overrated driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr. - Enough said.

Most improved driver: A.J. Allmendinger - It's a shame he got kicked out of the #84 ride. His transition to stock cars was rough, but the kid has a lot of talent, and he proved that he's learned a lot. He will be a weekly top-20 contender next year.

Most improved team: Yates Racing - They're being taken seriously again, which is nice to see.

Biggest asshole: Kyle Busch - C'mon, why would anyone pick someone else?

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell at Texas - I didn't see it live, but I couldn't believe the hit, the tumble, and the way that SAFER-barrier caved in to save him from severe injury. I agree with what Larry Mac said at the time, that if there is anyone who doubted the move to the COT, that wreck proved that a higher degree of safety was achieved.

Most LOL wreck: Carl Edwards at Talladega.

Race of the year: Amp Energy 500

Driver of the year: Kyle Busch - I'll give him credit for being able to wheel a car/truck/flying brick. His equipment was top-knotch and knew how to take advantage of it to have undoubtedly one of the biggest winning seasons as a driver.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:13 pm 
Joey wrote:
Biggest disappointment: Jeff Gordon, for the simple fact that he didn't win once this season. I don't know how he did, there could be thousands of explanations, but his season was just remarkably disappointing.

That should have been a no-brainer. Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:13 pm 

But how do you explain Jeff Gordon winning six times last year? I seem to remember that Letarte was his crew chief last year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Kyle Bush impressed me the most this season, sad his chase races sucked I really thought he had it in his pocket this year.

Biggest disappointment: Franchitti, Mears, and somehow also Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart they where totally destroyed by their teammates TBH.

Most overrated driver: Sorenson, can't see why anyone would give him a ride he drove really shitty this year.

Most improved driver: I would say Montoya but his results doesn't speak for it. He drove a great start of the championschip but evrything went down after his Crew Chief change and Ganaasi giving all the support to Franchitti. The last 6-7 races he drove always in the top 10 to get puncted out in the end our other reasons.

But Almmendinger showed some good pace after his Red Bull release.

Most improved team: Joe Gibbs Racing

Biggest wreck: McDowell

Most LOL wreck: Dega big one's

Race of the year: 1st Talladega

Driver of the year: Kyle Busch, never thought he would be so dominant after his Hendrick years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:05 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Juan Pablo Montoya. That's impressive.

Biggest disappointment: Jeff Gordon. 0 wins. LOL

Most overrated driver: David Ragan. HE'S REACHED HIS HIGHEST POTENTIAL AND HE'LL NEVER WIN IN NASCAR. LOL

Most improved driver: Kyle Busch. i still hate him but he won a lot of races tbh

Most improved team: Go TRB cars

Biggest asshole: Fucking Earl Image

Biggest wreck: The Aaron's Lucky Dog Dream Machine had some bad luck at Texas, it wrecked and flipped 8 times!

Most LOL wreck: Three-way tie: THE BIG ONE @ Wakins Glen, THE BIG ONE @ Dover, and Casey gettin' rolled by I Am Sam

Race of the year: Indianapolis. LOL

Driver of the year: JIMMY JOHNSON :flag:

Nationwide Series

Driver that impressed you the most: B-KEZ

Biggest disappointment: Brad Coleman. BORN TO LOSE Image

Most overrated driver: SLICED BREAD. Only 1 win LOLOL

Most improved driver: B-KEZ

Most improved team: MSRP Motorsports. LOOK AT THEM BOYS QUALIFY

Biggest asshole: Fucking Earl Image

Biggest wreck: Fucking Earl's Pegasus impersonation @ DEGA

Most LOL wreck: SPECIAL DENNY, 2-time defending winner at Darlington. Fastest car in practice. Crashing and DNQing Image

Race of the Year: Montreal IN THE FUCKING RAIN

Driver of the Year: B-KEZ

Truck Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Donny Lia won a race, are you fucking kidding me?

Biggest disappointment: Colin Braun but it actually sounds like Brown

Most overrated driver: ERIK DARNELL: a 2% winning percentage in Roush equipment

Most improved driver: TJ BELL IN THE KITTY LITTER TRUCKIN'

Most improved team: Go TRG trucks

Biggest asshole: RRRGHH TODDBODINE

Biggest wreck: prolly one of JWT's iono

Most LOL wreck: Image

Race of the Year: Donny Lia won at Mansfield, are you fucking kidding me?

Driver of the Year: Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:42 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Sprint Cup Series

Driver that impressed you the most: OK, this might be a long shot, but Travis Kvapil has done a really, really good job in 2008. The fact he got taken out at Talladega Fall Race was a crime injustice...

Biggest disappointment: Jeff Gordon - no wins after 14 year streak? 'nuff said...

Most overrated driver: Reed Sorenson - completely invisible all year, and I predict he'll continue to do absolutely nothing at GEM.

Most improved driver: David Ragan - see him in victory lane next year

Most improved team: Team Red Bull

Biggest asshole: David Gilliland - especially after his Texas Fall post-race comments

Biggest wreck: Michael McDowell & Texas qual

Most LOL wreck: Casey Mears flips at Fontana

Race of the year: AMP Energy 500 at Talladega aka who the f*** is Regan Smith :lol:

Driver of the year: Jimmie Johnson for obvious reasons

Nationwide Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Brad Keselowski

Biggest disappointment: Dario Franchitti - no speed, no luck, no nothing...

Most improved driver: Brad Keselowski

Most improved team: Rusty Wallace Inc.

Biggest wreck: Jeff Green & Charlotte

Most LOL wreck: Kevin Lepage triggers the Big One at Talladega

Race of the Year: Montreal & Watkins Glen

Driver of the Year: Brad Keselowski - Polish heritage notwithstanding ;)

Craftsman Truck Series

Driver that impressed you the most: Matt Crafton

Biggest disappointment: Ted Musgrave & Jack Sprague - former champs went down the drain big time in 2008

Most overrated driver: Only time will tell whether it was Jack Sprague or the KHI environement...

Most improved driver: Colin Braun

Most improved team: TRG

Biggest asshole: Ron Hornaday

Biggest wreck: Daytona mess with PJ Jones on the fire

Most LOL wreck: Kyle Busch spins Ron Hornaday & Michigan

Race of the Year: Mansfield

Driver of the Year: Johnny Benson... Good guys do get the biggest candy...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sprint Cup

Most impressive driver: AJ Allmendinger. In 2007 he was Wallmendinger when he was able to make the race. But this year he was just phenomenal.

Biggest dissapointment: Reed Sorenson. The next Jeff Gordon? LOL! Montoya owned you!

Most overrated driver: Casey Mears. I don't have to explain.

Most improved driver: David Ragan. See crashman

Most improved team: Team Red Bull. Both cars on top35, after a lot of troubles last year.

Biggest asshole: Carl Edwards for the crash in Talladega, and Gilliland for what he did in Texas against Montoya

Biggest wreck: McDowell in Texas. That crash ruined McDowell :(

Most LOL wreck: Montoya vs Busch in New Hampshire

Best race: AMP Energy 500 @
Talladega

Driver of the year: Kyle Busch. He is an asshole, but... what a driver!

Nationwide Series

Most impressive driver: Brad Kaselowski. First of the non-Buschwackers, third in the standings with 2 wins. Great job man!

Biggest dissapointment: Dario Franchitti. Wow, I couldn't believe he was so bad...

Most overrated driver: Clint Bowyer.

Most improved driver: Steve Wallace. I think he was just able to crash his car. But he did a good job.

Most improved team: Rusty Wallace Inc. At the beginning of the season, Steve Wallace and David Stremme were awesome. Then the performances have changed, but the team is a really good one.

Biggest asshole: Denny Hamlin. I was his fan, but after this year I can only say one thing: he's a piece of shit.

Biggest wreck: Dario Franchitti @
Talladega

Most LOL wreck: Kevin Lepage's very smart move at Talladega lol

Race of the year: Zippo 200 @ the Glen and NAPA Auto Parts - I don't remember the number - in the awesome rain at Montreal

Driver of the year: Joey Logano. He is the man of the year