TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1380 381 382 383 3841059 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Still, 203 alone is pretty impressive. Scary, actually.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Safe to say that NASCAR won't let them run close to 205 in the draft come Speedweeks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It would be epic though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:09 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

David Caraviello wrote a good article for once.

With title, Stewart wouldn't match Kulwicki's feat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Very nice article. Makes me wonder why Tony doesn't mention this more often when people bring up the owner/driver championship thing. Hell, if I were Tony, it would eat me if people tried to compare me to Alan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rule #1 of NASCAR: "Don't say anything bad about NASCAR, even if it's the truth"
Quote:
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Brad Keselowski has been fined by NASCAR for criticizing electronic fuel injection, The Associated Press has learned.

Multiple people familiar with the punishment told AP on Thursday about Keselowski's fine. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because NASCAR did not publicize the fine.

NASCAR has been privately punishing drivers for making disparaging remarks about the series over the last two years.

The fine is believed to be $25,000.

"We're not doing this because it's better for the teams," Keselowski said last week during an appearance at the NASCAR Hall of Fame . "I don't think we're really going to save any gas. It's a media circus, trying to make you guys happy so you write good stories. It gives them something to promote. We're always looking for something to promote, but the honest answer is it does nothing for the sport except cost the team owners money.

"Cars on the street are injected with real electronics, not a throttle body (like in NASCAR). So we've managed to go from 50-year-old technology to 35-year-old technology. I don't see what the big deal is."

NASCAR has called the move to electronic fuel injection part of its green initiative and said engines should run more efficiently by controlling the fuel mixture through electronics.

NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp acknowledged there had been conversations with Keselowski.

"We did talk to Brad following his recent comments that were highly critical of the series moving to electronic fuel injection next season," Tharp said. "We made it clear to him that these kind of comments are detrimental to the sport, and we handled it accordingly with him."

In the past NASCAR has quietly fined Ryan Newman for criticizing racing at Talladega and Denny Hamlin for posts he made on Twitter.

Earlier this year, Newman was fined $50,000 for an incident with Juan Pablo Montoya. NASCAR has refused to discuss the fine or what happened with Montoya to earn Newman the penalty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:14 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I wonder how much Earnhardt would be fined if he were still around. I'm sure he'd have a lot to say about the way NASCAR is being run right now. A lot more than Keselowski said there. Then again, I wonder how much different (or better) NASCAR would be if he were still around.

It's a pretty shitty situation when NASCAR's leadership resorts to censoring drivers, owners and the like from speaking negatively about them. If anything, the fine they gave Keselowski makes them look worse than anything Keselowski said.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now that's just retarded.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:06 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Temiree wrote:
I wonder how much Earnhardt would be fined if he were still around. I'm sure he'd have a lot to say about the way NASCAR is being run right now. A lot more than Keselowski said there. Then again, I wonder how much different (or better) NASCAR would be if he were still around.

We definitely wouldn't be where we are now if he was still around. It's kind if sickening to see how much has changed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NASCAR probably has drawn more attention to Keselowski's comments by fining him than they would have if they had just left it alone. I had personally already forgotten he had said those things until this came up. NASCAR has more things to worry about than fining drivers for voicing their opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:29 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

This is the first time I actually heard Keselowski saying that.

Yeah, had NASCAR left it alone, it would be just that--an opinion that no one will remember.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:58 am 

That's pretty stupid.

And if Earnhardt were still around, things would be different. It's no secret that he had more pull than the rest of the drivers - combined (hell, he was the only driver that got to talk to Bill France over team radio), and if he was still around, while he would have probably been retired for a few years and probably raising hell in the ALMS and at Le Mans, his force would still be felt quite strongly. What would be different, I don't know. I didn't know the man, and none of us did either. But something probably would be.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have always believed that you don't throw your source of bread and butter under the bus. I agree with Brad's points completely but I'll have to side with NASCAR on this one. Offer your suggestions to them in private but don't call them out in public as it achieves nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:36 am 
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?

British Le Mans team Creation Autosportif has joined forces with...Derrike Cope to form Creation Cope Racing in NASCAR and ARCA.

http://www.creationcope.com/news/story/ ... ope-Racing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree with the fine only because I don't think he should have said it out in public.... In NASCAR's Hall of Fame....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You know, I said something about this on another board, but I think it's not as much about Dale Sr. as it is Bill Jr.

Bill France Jr would probably listen, heed your advice, and if it was a big enough concern among all the drivers, take some action that would benefit the sport in general. Brian France will fine you, go out on media cleanup to call bullshit on your statement, even if they're remotely based on fact, tell said penalized driver to act more 'robotic' to the media next time, and go about his merry way like it never happened.

I wouldn't be surprised if he started deleting driver's Twitter/Facebook accounts as punishment in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bill France Jr probably would not take kindly to one of his series drivers ranting about them in public either. Remember when DW lost the Rookie of the Year award to Lennie Pond despite being the better runner? Unfortunately, he also ran his mouth to the media against some things NASCAR did that in his mind were unfair to him and NASCAR hit him where it hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:29 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Jayski wrote:
Q) Do you know if you will race in the Nationwide or Truck Series in 2012?
Busch: "No, not yet. We're working through all of the schedules. The schedules hadn't been put together prior to Texas and still haven't been put together yet either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:10 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kyle Busch shouldn't be allowed to race in nationwide and truck series next years after what he did to Ron Hornaday at Texas.

I just don't get it why cup drivers are racing in couple of race in nationwide and trucks series and take the victories away from the current nationwide/truck drivers. I know Mark Martins used to raced in nationwide (back then when it was Busch Grand National Series), but not anymore.

Why are NASCAR letting them race in those series? :?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I remember somebody mentioning the idea of drivers being limited to 50 points races a year in the top 3 NASCAR divisions, and can choose to spend them where they want. I thought that was a pretty good idea. Cup drivers would be forced to spend their 36 in the Cup Series, then seven each maximum in the other two. It goes without saying that drivers only being eligible for one championship didn't change a thing this season. We only had five non-Cup driver winners. (http://www.racing-reference.info/raceyear/2011/B)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1380 381 382 383 3841059 Next