TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1378 379 380 381 3821059 Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gael wrote:
I know a driver that needs a sponsor.. c'mon M&Ms/Mars, go to the #17!

I think M&M/Mars would be a good fit for Roush-Fenway because the two drivers who they are looking for sponsorship for, Matt Kenseth and David Ragan don't have the reputation to be troublemakers. I think either Kenseth or Ragan would fit their company's image better than Kyle Busch would.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
UPDATE2: Aric Almirola told ESPN.com on Thursday he has been contacted by Joe Gibbs Racing about possibly replacing Kyle Busch in the final two Sprint Cup races and is awaiting final word from the organization. ESPN's Marty Smith reported on SportsCenter and NASCARNow that Busch, according to sources, will be in the #18 Cup car this weekend at Phoenix and next weekend at Homestead. Multiple sources said the car likely will be sponsored by Interstate Batteries instead of M&Ms, which was scheduled to be on the car. Mars Incorporated, which manufacturers M&Ms, stated its displeasure with Busch over his intentionally wrecking Ron Hornaday in last Friday's Truck Series race at Texas Motor Speedway. But according to sources the sponsor still had reservations about having its name on the Cup car with Busch for the last two races, prompting the call to Almirola. Almirola said JGR president J.D. Gibbs contacted him on Wednesday to see if he would be available. Almirola, who drives a Chevrolet for JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, said JRM has given him permission to drive for the Toyota team. "Your guess is as good as mine,'' Almirola told ESPN.com before Nationwide practice at PIR as to what will happen. "I know they're working through a lot of things. I just told them I was available if they needed me.''(ESPN)
for all the past news, statements, and updates on NASCAR's parking of Busch at Texas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm confused. If M&M's leaves, are they leaving for good, or for just the last 2 races?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BlueCelicaTRD wrote:
Wow if true. Mars is a huge company. I don't see how Interstate Batteries can replace the money that Mars was probably paying.

Interstate supposedly gets a great deal from JGR because of the relationship they have with one another.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Mars announces that Kyle Busch won't be in an M&Ms car in 2011 but will be in 2012.

Mars Inc. statement wrote:
"The recent actions by Kyle Busch are not consistent with the values of M&M'S and we're very disappointed. Like you, we hold those who represent our brand to a higher standard and we have expressed our concerns directly to Joe Gibbs Racing."

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pathetic, we will not compromise our values for victories...until next season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:43 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

And even then, I'm afraid that they'll put him on a short leash.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:50 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, I guess Mars is banking on the fact that Kyle Busch will mature over the off-season, but we've seen how well that's worked out before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OldAsphalt wrote:
Quote:
Mars announces that Kyle Busch won't be in an M&Ms car in 2011 but will be in 2012.

Mars Inc. statement wrote:
"The recent actions by Kyle Busch are not consistent with the values of M&M'S and we're very disappointed. Like you, we hold those who represent our brand to a higher standard and we have expressed our concerns directly to Joe Gibbs Racing."

:lol: So driving 3x the speed limit is consistent with the values of M&M's?

I think I said it before, but this whole thing by Mars is totally hypercritical and just sounds like they've gone with popular opinion rather than thought it through properly.

I expect the convo went something like this: "we want to be seen to be doing something, so take our logo's off the car please, but we'll continue to pay you the millions next year"....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's a balancing act for the Co. On the one hand, they cannot be seen to do nothing when their spokesmen is clearly not living up to the expectations of the company. On the other hand, they realize that Kyle, even though a total ass clown, is a proven winner and represents a much higher probability of return on sponsorship investment then most of the other guys out there. So, while they had to do something, they also realize that for the estimated $15-20 million a year they're paying, to get a good return they need to keep him.

The nonsense with the speed limit thing was forgotten by everyone until this latest round of shit hit the fan... It also wasn't live on TV.

I wonder how the contract is written. Surely they (M&M's/Mars) have a clause that would allow them to get out of the contract should Kyle not get his emotions/behavior under control.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NASCAR is going to be testing aero packages tomorrow at Daytona to try and eliminate the 2-car drafts. *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:56 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The winning artwork, created by David Bulow of San Jose, Calif., triumphed over more than 26,000 entries and will be brought to life at Phoenix International Raceway — a No. 18 Camry sporting the “AJBULOWSCAR” paint scheme will be on display at the SPEED stage on Sunday.

Toyota Racing launched the inaugural Sponsafier contest at the 2010 Daytona 500. Since then, four rounds of the contest have resulted in more than 200,000 design submissions and over two million public votes. Artwork has ranged from marriage proposal cars and patriotic racers to cause-related designs. “AJUBLOWSCAR” joins the ranks of previous Sponsafier grand prize winners “Praying for Karson,” “Lou Gehrig aka ALS” and “Chelsea’s Hope.”

great typo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just some random observations being at this aero test going on:

They have been cutting down the spoiler each time the cars come in, then they will send the #87 car out in a single car run to see how the car handles by itself before the others attempt drafting.

This last run, the spoiler was cut all the way down to were it was even with the new blade placed on the deck lid (really, really short). Nemecheck went barreling into turn 3 so fast he had to lift and nearly lost the car. The issue is that the previous spoiler height was still producing tandem drafts... And they did not attempt drafting with the size spoiler Nemecheck just ran.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry for the double post. But I hope somebody interviews Joe Nemecheck after this, because he had to have just run a lap without a plate on the car. I've never seen anything go that fast at Daytona, it sounded like an IndyCar and was bottoming out all the way through 3-4. Easily one of the most insane things ive seen in my life.

Last edited by zippy on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:10 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

zippy wrote:
Sorry for the doule post. But I hope somebody interviews Joe Nemecheck after this, because he had to have just run a lap without a plate on the car. I've never seen anything go that fast at Daytona, it sounded like an IndyCar and was bottoming out all the way through 3-4. Easily one of the most insane things ive seen in my life.

Is there any footage of this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I took a video on my phone as fast as i could when I saw how fast he was going. I got his 2nd lap which was slower, but still obviously faster than any normal plate track speed I've witnessed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

David Ragan crashed off turn 4. And It appears the 2 car draft issue has been solved!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Still two obstacles though. First, NASCAR has to actually implement those changes, and second, the teams will have all winter to find a way to work around it. That's really what happened last off-season. The cars were still only capable of hooking up for a few laps at Talladega before overheating, but the teams did a ton of work on the cooling systems and by the time they got to Daytona it was game on for the "2CT."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do you think they're going so fast on the straights that NASCAR will have to mandate a much smaller plate if they go to the 500 with this spoiler? Reducing the horsepower significantly could possibly make the tango effective again so let's hope they test everything thoroughly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Not sure how thorough they can be with the time given. This is a one-day test and I don't think they plan to do any more until the preseason testing in mid-January.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1378 379 380 381 3821059 Next