TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1420 421 422 423 4241059 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:10 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

IMO, DW should have never left Hendrick to take on the burden of running his own team. He'd have definitely been a lot more successful through the 90s if he stuck with Rick, who even tried his best to keep him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Was there ever a report on why DW decided to start his own team?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Keep in mind, DW won three championships and had just won the Daytona 500 a few years before leaving Hendrick. Perhaps since he had done everything he wanted to accomplish in his career, he figured it was time to embark on a new challenge as owner/driver while he still had some steam left in him. He did do pretty well in the first few years, so you can't call it a total failure.

Then again, he had a nasty practice crash @ Daytona in July, which sidelined him for a good chunk of the 2nd half of 1990, so that might have something to do with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apparently the team in '91 was Hendrick's team, but with Waltrip as the owner(he bought it in 1990)

Page 27 on here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=vI ... trip&hl=en

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:45 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Dear Canada:
Shut up over Go Canada Racing changing their name and putting David Ragan in for a race that Andrew Ranger probably isn't approved to run. Oh, and shut up over Ranger getting the ride over JR Fitzpatrick as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

i want to visit canada.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Balls to Canada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Ford proposing NASCAR version of the X-Games?: A NASCAR version of the X-Games? Something like that is what Ford Motor Company is proposing to NASCAR executives, as a way to use NASCAR to promote new small street cars, to the $14,000 MSRP youthful demographic. How much interest other car companies might have in any such NASCAR/X-Games venture is not clear. Chevrolet racing boss Jim Campbell, who is using Sunday's Michigan 400 to promote GM's new small-car Sonic, as pace car, says he is "open" to using motorsports to push Chevrolet's new small car line. While Toyota and Honda made their names as purveyors of small cars, Ford and Chevrolet on the other hand have been more to the muscle-power side of the game, with powerful trucks like the F-150 and sporty cars like the Mustang, Corvette and Camaro. NASCAR once had a four-cylinder national touring series, the Baby Grands, back in the 1970s, which proved highly popular, and then fairly inexpensive. Precisely what Ford is proposing to NASCAR isn't clear.(MikeMulhern.net)(8-22-2011)

Liking the idea of introducing the small cars as a division of NASCAR. But X Games rallycross style?

I think this must be what Ford was proposing:
http://www.global-rallycross.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/20120206_grc_2012_stakeholder_memo.pdf
3 NASCAR companion events, all events that aren't the X Games at SMI tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sonic should do the XGames.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Screw you guys! :)

Listen, we have so little to cheer for, no wonder race fans up here (and they are hardcore, trust me) are up in arms. Besides, I don't think people care *who* is in the ride, because honestly, I'd pick Ranger over Fitzpatrick any day of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

How about bringing back something along the lines of the Dash series?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:10 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thought this article was an interesting one about the ageless Jacques de Bries.

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2012/2/7 ... s-cautions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jeff wrote:
How about bringing back something along the lines of the Dash series?

The Dash series still exists, they just don't race in big tracks anymore. NASCAR needs to buy it back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sandeep Banerjee wrote:

Won't stop people from pissing and moaning about them, but they both bring up good points.

As I've watched a bunch of races from late 80's, early 90's lately, and noticed a crap-ton of debris on the track that may-or-may-not-be dangerous (with no yellows thrown), I'd think "Man, that would be a yellow nowadays, no doubt". But like everything else in the sport over the last 12 years, it has needed improvement safety-wise.

The thought of debris flipping up and hitting a driver (like Bobby Labonte, mentioned in the article) hadn't even crossed my mind, so at that point, inaction on the part of officials is pretty much not an option. The '04 Dover race mentioned is a great example, as well, of a non-call leading to disaster.

I approve of their stance on it, honestly. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Andre wrote:
Sandeep Banerjee wrote:

Won't stop people from pissing and moaning about them, but they both bring up good points.

As I've watched a bunch of races from late 80's, early 90's lately, and noticed a crap-ton of debris on the track that may-or-may-not-be dangerous (with no yellows thrown), I'd think "Man, that would be a yellow nowadays, no doubt". But like everything else in the sport over the last 12 years, it has needed improvement safety-wise.

The thought of debris flipping up and hitting a driver (like Bobby Labonte, mentioned in the article) hadn't even crossed my mind, so at that point, inaction on the part of officials is pretty much not an option. The '04 Dover race mentioned is a great example, as well, of a non-call leading to disaster.

I approve of their stance on it, honestly. *shrugs*

And not to mention the possibility of debris hitting a fan either, like how year, a piece of metal flew up into one of the suites at TMS. 8O

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 pm 
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?

smokyburnout wrote:
Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Ford proposing NASCAR version of the X-Games?: A NASCAR version of the X-Games? Something like that is what Ford Motor Company is proposing to NASCAR executives, as a way to use NASCAR to promote new small street cars, to the $14,000 MSRP youthful demographic. How much interest other car companies might have in any such NASCAR/X-Games venture is not clear. Chevrolet racing boss Jim Campbell, who is using Sunday's Michigan 400 to promote GM's new small-car Sonic, as pace car, says he is "open" to using motorsports to push Chevrolet's new small car line. While Toyota and Honda made their names as purveyors of small cars, Ford and Chevrolet on the other hand have been more to the muscle-power side of the game, with powerful trucks like the F-150 and sporty cars like the Mustang, Corvette and Camaro. NASCAR once had a four-cylinder national touring series, the Baby Grands, back in the 1970s, which proved highly popular, and then fairly inexpensive. Precisely what Ford is proposing to NASCAR isn't clear.(MikeMulhern.net)(8-22-2011)

Liking the idea of introducing the small cars as a division of NASCAR. But X Games rallycross style?

I think this must be what Ford was proposing:
http://www.global-rallycross.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/20120206_grc_2012_stakeholder_memo.pdf
3 NASCAR companion events, all events that aren't the X Games at SMI tracks.

Hopefully they don't ruin Global Rallycross with that. It was great last year at tracks like Pike's Peak.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Slow News Week

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ImageImageImage
SB Nation wrote:
John Wes Townley Charged With DUI After Car Wreck In Georgia (by Jeff Gluck)

NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver John Wes Townley was charged with driving under the influence after crashing his 2012 BMW into a telephone pole in Georgia, the Athens Banner-Herald reported Friday.

The incident, which occurred early Tuesday morning, came to the attention of the Oconee County Sheriff's Department when a 911 call reported "a suspicious man knocking on the back door of a home" at 4:30 a.m.

Sheriff's deputies arrived to find a disoriented Townley "swaying from side to side and bleeding from his bare feet," the report said. Townley was arrested and charged with DUI and weaving in the roadway.

The newspaper said deputies found blood on the seat of the car, which had its airbags deployed in the crash.

Townley's incident could be a blow to the 22-year-old's NASCAR comeback. The son of Zaxby's co-founder Tony Townley is attempting to revive his career with RAB Racing, which formerly fielded Nationwide cars for the driver.

RAB Racing declined comment when contacted by SB Nation.

This isn't the first time Townley has found trouble with authorities on an alcohol-related offense. In 2010, Townley was cited for underage possession of alcohol during the Las Vegas race weekend (he was a Richard Childress Racing driver then).

"I made a big mistake and feel terrible about it," Townley said at the time. "I have learned a valuable lesson and will do everything I can to make it up to those I have let down."

Townley was released from RCR due to performance issues the month after the Las Vegas incident and given a second chance by RAB Racing.
But he mysteriously left RAB during the Richmond race weekend that summer and had apparently given up on NASCAR for good.

RAB Racing team owner Robby Benton decided to give Townley another shot this season, though, and the driver is set to run a full Camping World Truck Series schedule for the team.

NASCAR had no immediate comment on Townley's incident, though it has previously allowed drivers charged with DUI to race.

The most recent example was Nationwide Series driver Michael Annett, who was arrested for DWI last February but still allowed to race at Daytona.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The End

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't understand and people can piss away opportunities like that. I guess they just don't know how good they got it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1420 421 422 423 4241059 Next