TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21190 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1427 428 429 430 4311060 Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:57 am 

Tristar 7AT wrote:
toyota can take their camry and send it back to that farin land it came from, kentuc...

I have nothing against Toyota (actually think they are a great car company) but I thought I would point out that all of the design, and most of the manufacturing, occurs overseas, then the cars are shipped to the U.S. for final assembly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well this page is shit...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:51 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Shane wrote:

Tristar 7AT wrote:
toyota can take their camry and send it back to that farin land it came from, kentuc...

When did I say it's because of Toyota being Japanese in my post? Feel free to show me.

huh? I'm not attacking you I just dont like Toyota. Plus I think Kentucky is not from where I'm from.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Er...my bad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:41 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

momo1911 wrote:
Tristar 7AT wrote:

I have nothing against Toyota (actually think they are a great car company) but I thought I would point out that all of the design, and most of the manufacturing, occurs overseas, then the cars are shipped to the U.S. for final assembly.

The same can be said for most domestic cars as well... well outside of the design phase.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Man, I wish this thread was around in 2004 when Toyota first ventured into NASCAR.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:23 pm 
The most anticipated member

Was reading an interesting article about the Shootout on a blog (it's in portuguese) and it headlines says "Pack racing is back, NASCAR won" and then I ask myself, why? Indeed, NASCAR did what they wanted to do, I mean, make up COT in order to make it digestible at last. All that because NASCAR refuses to accept it's not a winning project (in terms of competition).

Since its introduction, everybody claimed, not only fans but also drivers. It's clear from the outset that COT runs off the normal NASCAR expectations. And what has been done? Makeups after makeups, instead of recognizing and saying "COT is awful for competition, for pack racing and we'll adopt a new car", they preferred to redesign it according to the fans, media and drivers requirements.

And it doesn't need too much to see that this pack racing is not even a shadow of what it was like 6 years ago. They're having to resort all kinds of modifications to make good races...this is not normal. The profile of the COT doesn't match with the series expectations, it's simple like that and no matter what change it's made, it's always something to fix a failed project as a whole. Instead of drivers and fans asking for changes, they should ask NASCAR to bring back the principles from the old design. "Oh but saying this you're undermining the safety factor", man.....Safety has always been an issue in motorsport and it'll always be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I see McDowell hitting the wall head on at 185 mph in Texas and I say, thank God for the COT.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gabriel wrote:
I see McDowell hitting the wall head on at 185 mph in Texas and I say, thank God for the COT.

I think it was more the safer barrier than anything, see Brad K's crash at California in '07.

But regarding J's post, the COT's style was a bad change, being that it eliminated what remaining manufacturer identity was left. It was however a good change in the direction of safety and "equalizing" competition in the beginning and still is now (we had a lot of first time winners last year, and a large diversity of winners throughout the season.) Although JJ's domination '06-'10 was a flaw in the chase system not the COT. I think the 2013 car is good in every sense of the word, fan friendly, drivers say it's fun to drive, and it's still just as safe as the car we have today.

I believe change has always been necessary in motor racing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:22 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Dumb question. Are they running these smaller spoilers all year of just at Daytona?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:37 pm 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

Boxy Brown wrote:
Dumb question. Are they running these smaller spoilers all year of just at Daytona?

Just the plate races

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

J.Morelli wrote:
Was reading an interesting article about the Shootout on a blog (it's in portuguese) and it headlines says "Pack racing is back, NASCAR won" and then I ask myself, why? Indeed, NASCAR did what they wanted to do, I mean, make up COT in order to make it digestible at last. All that because NASCAR refuses to accept it's not a winning project (in terms of competition).

Since its introduction, everybody claimed, not only fans but also drivers. It's clear from the outset that COT runs off the normal NASCAR expectations. And what has been done? Makeups after makeups, instead of recognizing and saying "COT is awful for competition, for pack racing and we'll adopt a new car", they preferred to redesign it according to the fans, media and drivers requirements.

And it doesn't need too much to see that this pack racing is not even a shadow of what it wa s like 6 years ago. They're having to resort all kinds of modifications to make good races...this is not normal. The profile of the COT doesn't match with the series expectations, it's simple like that and no matter what change it's made, it's always something to fix a failed project as a whole. Instead of drivers and fans asking for changes, they should ask NASCAR to bring back the principles from the old design. "Oh but saying this you're undermining the safety factor", man.....Safety has always been an issue in motorsport and it'll always be.

The Superspeedway pack-racing issues have little to do with the COT and more to do with the repaving of Daytona and improvements in cooling systems. For those who say its about the way the bumpers line up, look at last year's truck plate races - no change in aero or bumper height there.

As for speedway races, people like to look at these things with rose-tinted glasses. Pre-COT superspeedway racing was pretty bloody boring and single-file through the '00s, mainly owing to harder-wearing tires and mandated shocks.

One thing I really like about the COT is how it can take much more of a beating and still be competitive. Just look at Kyle Busch and Marcos Ambrose at the Shootout last weekend, you'd never see the old car in that many incidents still finish up front at Daytona. Something about that seems very NASCAR.

Last edited by Philthy82 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Philthy82 wrote:

One thing I really like about the COT is how it can take much more of a beating and still be competitive. Just look at Kyle Busch and Marcos Ambrose at the Shootout last weekend, you'd never see the old car in that many incidents still finish up front at Daytona. Something about that seems very NASCAR.

That might be the one thing I like about the CoT. In the old car, if you touched the wall slightly or even bent the fender a tiny bit, you'd be lucky to finish in the top 25.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let me take a guess, RuRa?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

si

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Mayfield says he is innocent: Former race car driver Jeremy Mayfield says the new criminal charges against him are "baseless" and suggests he's the target of a conspiracy involving NASCAR and law enforcement officials. Indictments by a North Carolina grand jury released Monday charged Mayfield with three counts of possessing property stolen from businesses, and a fourth charge of obtaining property by false pretense. The charges follow a November raid on Mayfield's Catawba home after which the former NASCAR star was charged with possessing 1.5 grams of methamphetamine. Mayfield, 42, has issued a statement through his attorneys saying he is innocent. "For some reason, the district attorney's office simply ignored our offers to explain the sources of the items seized from my property and chose, instead, to indict," Mayfield said, according to the statement. "We do not know if there is any connection between the NASCAR lawsuit and this investigation but, based upon the evidence disclosed to us already by the district attorney's office, it appears that the Catawba County authorities have been coordinating with NASCAR officials." (See full story at the Associated Press)(2-22-2012)

Seriously, this guy needs help. Hopefully the courts force him into rehab to clean his act up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:45 pm 
The most anticipated member

Philthy82 wrote:

The Superspeedway pack-racing issues have little to do with the COT and more to do with the replacing of Daytona and improvements in cooling systems. For those who say its about the way the bumpers line up, look at last year's truck plate races - no change in aero or bumper height there.

As for speedway races, people like to look at these things with rose-tinted glasses. Pre-COT superspeedway racing was pretty bloody boring and single-file through the '00s, mainly owing to harder-wearing tires and mandated shocks.

Single-file races were much better than 2-car tandems in Superspeedways. Anyway, I think COT is not as good as the previous designs, I won't say it's not good, I'm just saying it's not as good as...it's different. The car profile should be a bit smaller, no excess of bodywork in the back and the windshild is extremely anti aerodynamic IMO....anyway, I'm confident about the 500....I want to see pack racing, but those pack races that could be seen in the past, those were extremely exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:34 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

the guy that made that vidya has another gem entitled 'Kertus'

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21190 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1427 428 429 430 4311060 Next