TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 11020 1021 1022 1023 10241059 Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm assuming it'll be paved, as shown in the iRacing demonstrations.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:31 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Location: Miles from civilizaton or any decent racetrack Minnesota USA
Chris A wrote:
I'm assuming it'll be paved, as shown in the iRacing demonstrations.

thanks! i reread an article that said it will be asphalt too. ( was hoping for dirt - especially with jumps like an autocross course :D )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

IM Blotto wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
So given that I've never heard of it before, I'm guessing the LA Colluseum is a baseball stadium or some other multi-use facility they're gonna put tarmac down for one night only for a race??

So it's gonna be old bristol levels of wrecking considering they won't be able to make any kind of track bigger than a quarter mile and it's doubful they can get any banking in there right?

Not sure if I've not been paying attention but this has come massively out of left field (lol)
Is this a direction NASCAR said they were heading in? To hell with making their own venues, they'll just take them off existing sports for a weekend?

I believe the L.A Colosseum is predominantly used for college football ( USC Trojans)

Correct. It is home to the USC Trojans. It was temporary home to the LA Rams and will host the Olympics for the third time 2028.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

racer612008 wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Also, there's absolutely no chance this race will be decided fairly if the leader doesn't have at least a one second lead at the end. Whoever's running second is just gonna dropkick the leader, the fans will wet themselves with joy, and whatever dickheads in the booth are all gonna praise it as good racing because "dO wHaTcHa goTTa dO!"

exactly this

it's the reason why every post-2007 Bristol race is "boring" to the common folk because it either had a non-fan favorite winner or didn't have a dale/labonte or rusty/gordon DUMP N' RUN

it's the same idiots that want what Bowman Gray is on it's worst of nights (which is the perceived exposure of the track as a whole over social media), without realizing that generally - most Bowman Gray races can get pretty stagnant & spreadout otherwise

so unless you have chase dumping dennis or kyle busch on the final lap, the race will automatically be bad for 90% of fans watching on TV

How's that different from literally any other half-mile track? Doesn't the same thing happen at Martinsville? Call me common folk if you want but that provided tension and excitement like nothing else. It was between the drivers. The tension of will he, won't he? And if he does, will he just get him out of shape or get it wrong and wreck him out of the lead? 'Cause that'll have consequences for him in time.

This layout is similar to Soldier Field and of course Bowman Gray, tracks that the Cup and convertible series visited back in the 50s and 60s and this is how it went down in those days too. Back then too, it was between the drivers to decide if it was worth putting the bumper or not and the fans loved it. Now we're supposed to like the post-2007 Bristol's half-second-quicker high-line mini-Michigan style racing or we're not proper racing fans?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

MrFerrari wrote:
racer612008 wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Also, there's absolutely no chance this race will be decided fairly if the leader doesn't have at least a one second lead at the end. Whoever's running second is just gonna dropkick the leader, the fans will wet themselves with joy, and whatever dickheads in the booth are all gonna praise it as good racing because "dO wHaTcHa goTTa dO!"

exactly this

it's the reason why every post-2007 Bristol race is "boring" to the common folk because it either had a non-fan favorite winner or didn't have a dale/labonte or rusty/gordon DUMP N' RUN

it's the same idiots that want what Bowman Gray is on it's worst of nights (which is the perceived exposure of the track as a whole over social media), without realizing that generally - most Bowman Gray races can get pretty stagnant & spreadout otherwise

so unless you have chase dumping dennis or kyle busch on the final lap, the race will automatically be bad for 90% of fans watching on TV

How's that different from literally any other half-mile track? Doesn't the same thing happen at Martinsville? Call me common folk if you want but that provided tension and excitement like nothing else. It was between the drivers. The tension of will he, won't he? And if he does, will he just get him out of shape or get it wrong and wreck him out of the lead? 'Cause that'll have consequences for him in time.

This layout is similar to Soldier Field and of course Bowman Gray, tracks that the Cup and convertible series visited back in the 50s and 60s and this is how it went down in those days too. Back then too, it was between the drivers to decide if it was worth putting the bumper or not and the fans loved it. Now we're supposed to like the post-2007 Bristol's half-second-quicker high-line mini-Michigan style racing or we're not proper racing fans?

no different than ANY track is my point - including the dump n runs if the fan favorite wasn't the person dumping the public enemy

hence why nascar will continue to break itself to bits chasing those fans, with cars that are all going the same speed & can't pass for jack shit because they are underpowered & over aero'ed turds

even if Bristol was the pre-2007 configuration, it wouldn't matter because the cars have too much aero to do anything

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I read that the track in the LA Coliseum is going to be a 1/4 mile track. I think this race might look more like a demolition derby.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:32 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

They actually ran the LA Coliseum track story and showed the render on the mainstream TV sports news here in New Zealand. I guess it's really happening.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Xfinity and Truck Schedules are out.

The Xfinity schedule can be found here. Mid Ohio is out and Portland International Raceway in Oregon is on.

https://www.jayski.com/xfinity-series/2022-nascar-xfinity-series-schedule/

Truck schedule is here:

Mid Ohio gets a truck date. Vegas and Martinsville lose fall dates. Watkins Glen is off the schedule. Sonoma and IRP are back on the schedule.

https://www.jayski.com/truck-series/2022-ncwts-schedule/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

About damn time for IRP - hopefully they don't have to put in the Vatican complex somewhere in the infield to please a couple media members in like rumored

Martinsville's date is just a pivot to the spring (I hope that doesn't mean the Modified race gets KO'ed)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:32 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

John Wes Townley, the greatest meme pay driver to ever grace the NASCAR circuit, is killed in a double-shooting

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fuck man, that's awful. RIP. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:06 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

People are already blaming CTE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, Reddit seems to be fully on the "CTE" thing...but they forget that alcohol and jealously will make people do stupid shit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:18 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I mean, CTE is a pretty reasonable hypothesis. There are plenty of examples of how devastating it can be to one's mental health and behavior.

EDIT - I was confused about this discussion because, last I read yesterday, it seemed like JWT and the woman were both assailed by someone else but this newer detail clears that up a bit:

Quote:
The house reportedly was occupied by a 30-year-old woman who was either Townley’s estranged or ex-wife, Laura Townley, and a 32-year-old Dunwoody man.

Townley was said by sources to have been armed with an axe when he entered the house at 240 Morton Avenue and the Dunwoody man fatally shot him and Laura Townley was accidently struck by gunfire.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It gets weirder. Apparently, the house the couple were in belonged to JWT so for all we know, he could've simply just armed himself with whatever he could find after suspecting a break-in. And those two were actually trespassing. In that case, I'm assuming self-defense won't fly for the shooter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:57 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

MrFerrari wrote:
It gets weirder. Apparently, the house the couple were in belonged to JWT so for all we know, he could've simply just armed himself with whatever he could find after suspecting a break-in. And those two were actually trespassing. In that case, I'm assuming self-defense won't fly for the shooter.
Could be the Ex had possession of the house, but not her name on it, maybe even a protective order was involved. Those are just baseless thoughts, but it's possible they were in "his" house without actually trespassing. Definitely something off about the whole situation, the moment the shooter was not charged.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:08 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

mclaren2008 wrote:
People are already blaming CTE

I'm guessing this is some kinda drug but every time I read it I keep seeing "Cedric the Entertainer" in my mind :o

He wasn't a part of this....was he?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_t ... phalopathy

Most commonly seen among American football players but there have been plenty of other athletes of other sports who've suffered from it tremendously and wound up committing suicide and/or harming other people. Dave Mirra (BMX) and Ryan Freel (baseball) are a couple of those other examples of people who likely suffered from CTE that drove them to take their own lives.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:32 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just in the past year or so we lost Eric McClure who was suspected to be suffering from it based on some issues in his personal life near the end.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 11020 1021 1022 1023 10241059 Next